Society/Culture Why aren't same sex couples represented more in Australian commercials?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gays are over-represented to the shithouse. It's everywhere I look these days you couldn't say the same for any other group that small.

Good for them I guess. But I'm getting really really sick of it being in my face all the time. Wasn't like that before 2013. They can now get married so it's time to move on and put our energy into a real issue like school bullying and teen suicide. Not meager problems like gays, minorities and women taking offense to everything. I find these people incredibly self centered for putting their little problems before the much bigger ones. And typical as these 3 groups have displayed themselves to be far less empathetic than others.

Perhaps the media trying to make society hate gay people by force feeding them gay culture all the time. That's the only thing I can think of. It's not like gay people won't shutup, as an astute poster pointed out there's only 0.7% of them. The public spamming has little to do with gays themselves as it does mainstream media milking the topic or trying to burn out the public to the point of frustration.

What a moronic post. Their little problems?

Gay people have disproportionately higher rates of bullying, depression and suicide than their heterosexual peers.

The gay lifestyle is not being shoved down your throat by an ad featuring a gay couple. What a pathetic sad little person you are if something like that triggers you.

Around 4.6% of young people (14-19) were openly identifying as gay and 6.6% in their 20's in 2015. This figure dropped consistently the higher the age bracket you go due to in built discrimination in those age groups (the figures for those age groups are also underrepresented).

So no they aren't a tiny minority. 0.7% is a ridiculous figure that bigots use to try and pretend LGBT people should be ignored.

The issue with homosexuality in advertisements is negligible,the only issue we have here is bigotry.

Gay people make up 10% of the population,if that hurts your feelings,then so be it.
Why does it hurt your feelings?
I’d like to know!

The issue with homosexuality in advertisements is negligible,the only issue we have here is bigotry.

Gay people make up 10% of the population,if that hurts your feelings,then so be it.
Why does it hurt your feelings?
I’d like to know!
Produce some facts to back up this 10% figure Bradley. I can only find figures that have the 14 to 19 age group as the highest at 4.6% as of September, 2017.
https://www.nowtolove.com.au/health...e-population-is-gay-more-than-you-think-17267

Produce some facts to back up this 10% figure Bradley. I can only find figures that have the 14 to 19 age group as the highest at 4.6% as of September, 2017.
https://www.nowtolove.com.au/health...e-population-is-gay-more-than-you-think-17267

10% is a made up figure

People declaring themselves Gay or Lesbian has higher representation in the lower age groups
ABS stats were about 4.5% of total population for age group 18 - 34

The total numbers of younger age groups identifying as gay/lesbian has been increasing.
In the next 5-15 years when that entire age bracket has moved past age 34 the ABS stats will be interesting.
Is the % increasing, stable or has it decreased?
Only time will tell

10% is a made up figure

People declaring themselves Gay or Lesbian has higher representation in the lower age groups
ABS stats were about 4.5% of total population for age group 18 - 34

The total numbers of younger age groups identifying as gay/lesbian has been increasing.
In the next 5-15 years when that entire age bracket has moved past age 34 the ABS stats will be interesting.
Is the % increasing, stable or has it decreased?
Only time will tell
What's happening is young people are more prepared to be open about it than their older peers. Homosexuality was still illegal when I was born and up until recently still heavily stigmatised in some quarters and as a result some older gay people are still reluctant to be out.

What's happening is young people are more prepared to be open about it than their older peers. Homosexuality was still illegal when I was born and up until recently still heavily stigmatised in some quarters and as a result some older gay people are still reluctant to be out.
There probably is some of that factor

Because they it hammered in to them at such a young age like Its the new fad!

This is something conveniently ignored by many conservatives.

As bullying and bigotry are now - rightfully - becoming the stigmatized labels watch for more and more young kids to come out.

There's still a long way to go - as I'm sure you're only too aware. But the path is moving in the right direction.

Poor dithering conservatives. Having to watch some guys hold hands. Toughen up buffers.

Because they it hammered in to them at such a young age like Its the new fad!
You can't turn people gay mate, it doesn't work like that. Do you think if you'd been exposed to what you would call gay propaganda at school you'd suddenly have had the urge to take eight inches?

Why the hell do some people still think you are "brainwashed" or "turned" gay?

Unf...ing believable, sexual orientation is not a choice.

This is something conveniently ignored by many conservatives.

As bullying and bigotry are now - rightfully - becoming the stigmatized labels watch for more and more young kids to come out.

There's still a long way to go - as I'm sure you're only too aware. But the path is moving in the right direction.

Poor dithering conservatives. Having to watch some guys hold hands. Toughen up buffers.

No doubt, but do you really think it's a conservative<->liberal thing?

Pretty sure you'd find there would be a fair percentage of conservatives who identified as gay and vice versa, you'd find a fair amount of left leaning people would not necessarily be A Ok with homosexuality.

I think it's a bit lazy to categorise everything into fixed, rigid positions on an arbitrary political spectrum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure you'd find there would be a fair percentage of conservatives who identified as gay and vice versa, you'd find a fair amount of left leaning people would not necessarily be A Ok with homosexuality.

I think it's a bit lazy to categorise everything into fixed, rigid positions on an arbitrary political spectrum.
If they're not 'a-ok' with homosexuality, they can * off out of calling themselves the left.

Also, their opinion is irrelevant. And they are bigots.

If they're not 'a-ok' with homosexuality, they can **** off out of calling themselves the left.

Also, their opinion is irrelevant. And they are bigots.

The idea that someone's sexual identity is an absolute indicator of where they sit on the political spectrum is ******* dumb.

If you look at the recent marriage equality survey it's still a left/right issue. There are outliers but look at the leading voices on both sides of debate and tell me it wasn't another battle in the culture wars.

Well, you're gay right? Seriously, are you going to tell me you haven't met more than a few gay people that have at least some conservative ideals?

Not strictly (no issue is) but there seems a very strong correlation between conservative<->progressive on attitude towards gay people.

Liberal voters might point to Labor seats holding numerous districts which voted No but the Labor party is not a progressive party so that point is moot.
No doubt. No one can be put into a box and there are always outliers.
Agreed but in the context of Bigfooty it is generally easiest. Very few of us have the time to clarify and categorise each part of the political spectrum on every post.

Even paid journalists don't do this, although this is obviously to weaponise the right/left spectrum, get a rise out of people and clicks for their advertisers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back