Covid-19 Covid Inquiry, why no Royal Commission?

Remove this Banner Ad

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Labor loves Royal Commissions until it's their actions that are under the micro scope.
Baffling why the worst crises since WW2 does not get one so we can learn from our mistakes & prepare for future pandemics.
Even more baffling why the states actions are specifically excluded form this 'Inquiry'. (But not really from the Labor Party perspective)
Thousands dead, civil liberties suspended, metal health crises, the list goes on.
But Palaszczuk and Andrews are still in office so Albo decides to protect his Labor mates with this lightweight option instead.

What has that got to do with the observations made in the OP?

Are you suggesting that the scope should be narrowed to "How did COVID get into the country"?
Well considering he's having a big sook about BUT DAYUN and ANA, i think it's only fair to set him straight.

And i'm suggesting how it got into the country in the 1st place is the most relevant point of the entire exercise, they can work their way through after that.

At the end of the day, it's on shirkos head, he was at the wheel.
Berejiklian was just the compliant lapdog.
We know from the ICAC hearings that she had trouble telling blokes " no "

Well considering he's having a big sook about BUT DAYUN and ANA, i think it's only fair to set him straight.

And i'm suggesting how it got into the country in the 1st place is the most relevant point of the entire exercise, they can work their way through after that.

You could just as easily say BUT GLADYS too... It's pretty easy to be cynical about why the scope specifically excludes actions taken by individual states (NSW included).

I agree that the feds response was inadequate, but for Albo to stand there and say with a straight face that this is a bone fide inquiry into how the country managed COVID-19 is absolutely laughable. Given your desire to see Gladys and the NSW Libs burned at the stake, I would have thought you'd be asking the same questions.

You could just as easily say BUT GLADYS too... It's pretty easy to be cynical about why the scope specifically excludes actions taken by individual states (NSW included).

I agree that the feds response was inadequate, but for Albo to stand there and say with a straight face that this is a bone fide inquiry into how the country managed COVID-19 is absolutely laughable. Given your desire to see Gladys and the NSW Libs burned at the stake, I would have thought you'd be asking the same questions.
I'll get onto that

Right after BA does

Ya feel me ?

Labor loves Royal Commissions until it's their actions that are under the micro scope.
Baffling why the worst crises since WW2 does not get one so we can learn from our mistakes & prepare for future pandemics.
Even more baffling why the states actions are specifically excluded form this 'Inquiry'. (But not really from the Labor Party perspective)
Thousands dead, civil liberties suspended, metal health crises, the list goes on.
But Palaszczuk and Andrews are still in office so Albo decides to protect his Labor mates with this lightweight option instead.

All the cookers can just band together and hold their own enquiry if they want.

I'm sure Sky will televise it for you.

Also, it is mildly amusing you think "Labor loves Royal Commissions". Tony Abbott held a Royal Commission over Julia Gillard's kitchen renovation ffs. Then another useless one over pink batts.

Conservatives should stick to knighting princes and let the grown ups get on with everything else.

Hey Dutton if an enquiry is so essential, why didn’t your old govt hold one?

So the libs will run hard on this in Victoria during election? Crazy but I wouldn’t be surprised

Last edited:
lol, A RC would probably figure out that the Federal Lib gov was the one that shat its pants and gave up on their role in border security. Might even figure out that they also totally ****ed up our chance at getting vaccines early.

Peak political nuffie thinking that states would be found at fault.

lol, A RC would probably figure out that the Federal Lib gov was the one that shat its pants and gave up on their role in border security. Might even figure out that they also totally ****ed up our chance at getting vaccines early.

Peak political nuffie thinking that states would be found at fault.
The daily tele front page had all kinds of petulant conservative salt over it

Much like the OP lol

happy to be corrected but feds have little to no capacity to force state mps / public service officials participation in a fed inquiry (established legal/constitutional precedent???) .... things may be different under the auspices of a RC

worth remembering - morrison govt took nsw govt to the federal court to prevent fed public service officials appearing at the ruby princess inquiry .... so if your issues are party political you might wanna reflect on that for a bit

[edit] as nswcrow mentioned above - alex hawke should be very worried if albo opens ups this can of worms

happy to be corrected but feds have little to no capacity to force state mps / public service officials participation in a fed inquiry (established legal/constitutional precedent???) .... things may be different under the auspices of a RC

worth remembering - morrison govt took nsw govt to the federal court to prevent fed public service officials appearing at the ruby princess inquiry .... so if your issues are party political you might wanna reflect on that for a bit

[edit] as nswcrow mentioned above - alex hawke should be very worried if albo opens ups this can of worms
This, I think. We'd need a constitutional lawyer to confirm/deny, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't mentioned any specific issues about specific states (other than to counter the "BUT DAN" rhetoric). Whether officials can be compelled or not is irrelevant in my opinion. If you're going to conduct an inquiry/review/RC/whatever, do it properly and give it some teeth. In effect, this inquiry is going to review all the decisions that were made under consensus... Big Whoop....

Doesn't recieve the majority support from the general public as some might think.

Heck McGowan is still talked up as a hero for his hard border approach by people I know despite the fact the same people have their criticisms of WA Labor.

There is no way any country, except maybe North Korea, was ever going to stop Covid getting in, so don't pretend otherwise.

This is the biggest waste of money. An Inquiry into lessons about Covid that won't look at factors that impacted on Australian every day during the pandemic. How the * will future generations learn any lessons? And why will this Inquiry take 12 months?

At least Brett Sutton has called it out for what it is...

There is no way any country, except maybe North Korea, was ever going to stop Covid getting in, so don't pretend otherwise.

This is the biggest waste of money. An Inquiry into lessons about Covid that won't look at factors that impacted on Australian every day during the pandemic. How the * will future generations learn any lessons? And why will this Inquiry take 12 months?

At least Brett Sutton has called it out for what it is...
Maybe the libs can do one if they ever win another election

Does any left leaning poster honestly believe a 12 month Inquiry that will exclude decisions made by states will help us better understand how to manage the next pandemic?? We all know the Federal government ****ed up with vaccine procurement so the lesson is get in early and spread the risk/order. That will take 5 minutes to discuss at the Inquiry.

If Albo came out tonight and said, "You know, it's not worth the money or time. Let's can the Inquiry", he'd be applauded. But as it stands it is a sham and will be remembered as such.

Prof Catherine Bennett was interviewed on the radio yesterday. She is one of the Inquiry panel members. You could tell she was itching to say what she really believes but knows she can't, which made what she said non-sensical. Basically, "We can't force States to answer hard questions as they will be defensive, so it's best we ignore that side of the equation". When she was asked what she thought of Brett Sutton's comments that an Inquiry cannot ignore what happened at state level, she spluttered.

Now we know why Three House Albo pulled this crap.
Dumbo Dan can retire in peace without paying for his actions.
Typical corrupt Labor.
Hopefully when the Libs get back in office the truth will come out.

Why no mention of the billions given to business???
Shouldn't we be asking why companies used Covid govt handouts to pay executive bonuses?

We need a Royal Commision to get to the truth of:
Scummos failure to close the borders faster and properly (not allow ao many exceptions especially for people with money and/or contacts to state and federal govts)
Scummo not implementing a plan for quarantine
The use of military staff at high cost degrading their skills when so many Australians were being paid to sit at home
Handouts to companies making profits still
Vaccine delays
Qld governments corrupt Wellcamp deal
Vic governments dodgy contract arrangements that noone seemed to be responsible for
Vic governments antiquated tracing system
Dodgy federal covid app
Impacts on Australia due to over reliance on an unreliable trading partner.
Gaps in laws especially State and Federal boundaries

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Now we know why Three House Albo pulled this crap.
Dumbo Dan can retire in peace without paying for his actions.
Typical corrupt Labor.
Hopefully when the Libs get back in office the truth will come out.
Both sides are dodgy. The inquiry won't address the elephant in the room and no one will take responsibility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back