News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

They had a grubby culture in the 2000's but they've turned that around in recent years.

All the off-field dramas have been at Fremantle.
Is your life really this sad?
You could join a church, they have to be friendly to people, it's their job.
Here's another tip if you are having touble finding friends maybe spend less time online.
Just trying to help.

Last edited:

Even the article says midfielder? The guy is a forward only, will never be fit enough for midfield duties.
"We may have pushed Harley Bennell too hard" admits coach Ross Lyon. “The intent and work rate was amazing. Really simply he was 40 per cent above our cohort average on leg strength, on calf strength." https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/a...ross-lyon-ng-5b739b8e95ac31952ce25abd5f2d3d99

That was last year before he re injured his calf again before playing a senior game. The bar has always been higher for Harley than anyone else. Love to see him with same opportunities as others who are manged in the seniors with injuries.

So you reckon Harley is fit enough to play seniors but they won't give him a gig? Is that what your post means?

So you reckon Harley is fit enough to play seniors but they won't give him a gig? Is that what your post means?
Don't think he is fit enough right at the moment. But he's been put on the "Slow boat to China" rehab program this year ... after completing the "superman have to be 40% better than anyone else" program last year. I believe he would be better played in forward position at Peel and moved to the ones to play forward and managed. I don't think his calf was any worse than Walters, Hills' injuires and Pearce's ankle. It's got to be all or nothing soon.

Will be playing Peel this weekend w/ Duman.

Great news! You always fear the worst when he goes down; hopefully the ballet and other physio work has done enough to give Harley a crack at AFL again....watch and wait! Might be back for the Brissy game all being well, with other returning teammates getting back into the fold.

So did Harley get thru the South freo game unscathed?

commentators said his game ended in 3rd qrt and that he had picked up a wrist injury and he finished off the game getting his calves rubbed. there has been sporadic reporting that he might have calve tightness, but:
1. is it true, he had calf tightness?
2. Has Harley lost confidence in his calves to the point he's gun shy and won't push thru any hint of tighness?
3. has he got a genuine injury to his wrist?
4. will he play wafl after the bye, or is he to be further managed?

at least I think he has qualified for finals now for peel, if he does make it into freo side later in the year, I hope if Peel make finals we see Harley run around for the finals series - I don't think it does him any good being rested so much. He either needs to try and push himself back to AFL standard or retire to WAFL/ club land.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now on the Injury list as "wrist" TBA
I haven’t seen the official Freo injury list as yet but I did read today the following recent WAFL report on the Freo website re: Bennell
Played on-ball where he had a solid performance on limited game time. He had 14 possessions, was clean and good with his ball use.”

The wrist problem he picked up was late in the 2nd quarter. The 107.3FM commentators just before starting the 2nd half indicated they were interested to see if Bennell reappeared. He did with some tape on his wrist. Played about half the 3rd quarter and I heard his name called out to collect about 4 possessions and then he headed to the bench. The trainers massaged his calves for a while, then he grabbed his tracksuit and was done. No ice.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the wrist. From all indications he was on pre-planned modified minutes for the calves.

Would be nice seeing him graduate to playing each of the four quarters. Peel were down a rotation with Duman out concussed and a couple of others on restricted minutes (ie Darcy).

This week’s injury list a confirmed diagnosis for Logue interests me more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back