Bluemour Discussion Thread IX

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind the idea of getting brodie/scrimshaw from GC but only for the right price.

My prime worry with Brodie is do he have enough speed in view of having kennedy/crippa/sps and his disposal.

If you get Brodie then can you also get Wallis who if being judged as a pure midfielder I view as a slightly better skilled Ed.

Dahlhaus I don't have a problem with because he kicks goals and is quick.

Think we should look at some of those uncontracted Tiger shrimps.
Can you tell me the last time Dahlhaus has kicked a goal? Dale Thomas has kicked more goals this year playing off the backline. I’m a big no for Dahlhaus very overrated player.

Can you tell me the last time Dahlhaus has kicked a goal? Dale Thomas has kicked more goals this year playing off the backline. I’m a big no for Dahlhaus very overrated player.
Definately lifted a gear in the right team a few years back but has faded.....

As much as i love him. If we are to become a great football team, we cannot be so reliant on 1 or 2 of our players. If he decides to leave it will be sad but id wish him well.

We would be compensated handsomely if he did decide to walk. Clearly he is worth 2 top 10 picks. Id suggest 1 of them would need to be top 5. Yes, picks automatically wont fill the void. He is a champion.

Sad yes. But you wish him well and focus on the future ahead

Nicely put, now go wash your mouth out.

Not saying he is elite and yes he has only kicked one goal this year though I think he has mainly played on ball. Haven't really focussed him to date but he has played every game for them and picked up a lot more uncontested possessions than contested (360+ total pos to date). . My doggy buddies don't like his kicking though if it was that bad why has he played every game. What appeals to me about him is that he is a quicker out side mature midfielder of which we don't have many if any.

Last edited:
Once again, I think we're falling into the trap of severely underestimating opposition players. Dahlhaus is exactly the type we need and fits the age profile as well. Beggars can't be choosers, and we're the proverbial lepers of the competition right now.

If this is true, you'd think one of Weitering or Marchbank gets traded.

I haven't advocated for this previously, but trading Weitering in this situation would be smart. Get a 26yo elite, hard body defender without the expense of a draft selection, and hopefully cash in on Weitering for a top 10 pick.

Assists in also fixing a problem with our age profile

Imagine the improvements we’d see in Weitering and Marchbank with support from McGover, instead of Rowe and Jones.

And also, you can’t “cash in” when other clubs would be “buying low” on weiters.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

President just backtracked on PP talk on SEN. Didn’t say no, said we are only focusing on things we can control at the moment and may revisit at seasons end if it’s in the best interests of the footy club and it’s members. Didn’t say yes but didn’t say no.

Think it’s been a smokescreen to get the media of our back if we came out and said we needed one mid season

President just backtracked on PP talk on SEN. Didn’t say no, said we are only focusing on things we can control at the moment and may revisit at seasons end if it’s in the best interests of the footy club and it’s members. Didn’t say yes but didn’t say no.

Think it’s been a smokescreen to get the media of our back if we came out and said we needed one mid season
Could you imagine if we asked for one mid season. We would be accused of tanking every week.

I disagree that it's been a smokescreen. I think the club is surprised at quite how poor we've been, despite displaying confidence in public, and are in fact backflipping.

I don't blame them for it at all, mind you. In fact I encourage the change of mind and hope we do apply for one.

I disagree that it's been a smokescreen. I think the club is surprised at quite how poor we've been, despite displaying confidence in public, and are in fact backflipping.

I don't blame them for it at all, mind you. In fact I encourage the change of mind and hope we do apply for one.

according to some on here, it won't matter if we apply or not... we ain't getting one.

according to some on here, it won't matter if we apply or not... we ain't getting one.
I tend not to believe that. I don't subscribe to the AFL hates Carlton newsletter that most seem to.

I reckon that used to be the case but not anymore. Carlton in the position it is in is bad for business and the AFL above all else is a business that wants to make money, and a successful Carlton would make the AFL lots of money, ergo they have a vested interest in us being successful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't give a Hairy Nosed Wombat's Toss Bag what Gerard Whateley thinks.

If we don't apply for a priority pick I will mutiny!

FFS!
man mutinies............crowd mocks headwear.............more inside.........

I tend not to believe that. I don't subscribe to the AFL hates Carlton newsletter that most seem to.

I reckon that used to be the case but not anymore. Carlton in the position it is in is bad for business and the AFL above all else is a business that wants to make money, and a successful Carlton would make the AFL lots of money, ergo they have a vested interest in us being successful.
According to tencentpiece we already inquired and got knocked back, hence the coming out mid season saying we won’t be applying for one.

Things still reek of damage control to me ("I don't see both as long term prospects"). Lloyd was right to question the continual recruitment of such types. That point seems to refute Silvagni's idea of trying to build to a premiership instead of simply scraping into the finals and not getting any further. We can't afford to be recruiting players who we pretty much know won't be part of any premiership push, not at this stage. Don't get me wrong, I think SOS is capable but we can't afford to be sloppy and eat up our trade resources when we should be developing youngsters and trading in 'best 22' types. I know it's easier said than done but our aim should be heading towards a list which doesn't need such a high turnover rate. You can't simply limit the number of players delisted, it doesn't work like that.

This still reeks of damage control to me ("I don't see both as long term prospects"). Lloyd was right to question the continual recruitment of such types. That point seems to refute Silvagni's idea of trying to build to a premiership instead of simply scraping into the finals and not getting any further. We can't afford to be recruiting players who we pretty much know won't be part of any premiership push, not at this stage. Don't get me wrong, I think SOS is capable but we can't afford to be sloppy and eat up our trade resources when we should be developing youngsters and trading in 'best 22' types. I know it's easier said than done but our aim should be heading towards a list which doesn't need such a high turnover rate. You can't simply limit the number of players delisted, it doesn't work like that.
The biggest flaw in what you say is we simply don’t have enough picks to replace all with kids. These short term players are part of a long term plan.

There aren’t a bucket load of players capable of being involved in a premiership available every year either. Takes time.

SOS and co have definitely been aiming towards a list that doesn’t need much turnover. Said as much on FC

Things still reek of damage control to me ("I don't see both as long term prospects"). Lloyd was right to question the continual recruitment of such types. That point seems to refute Silvagni's idea of trying to build to a premiership instead of simply scraping into the finals and not getting any further. We can't afford to be recruiting players who we pretty much know won't be part of any premiership push, not at this stage. Don't get me wrong, I think SOS is capable but we can't afford to be sloppy and eat up our trade resources when we should be developing youngsters and trading in 'best 22' types. I know it's easier said than done but our aim should be heading towards a list which doesn't need such a high turnover rate. You can't simply limit the number of players delisted, it doesn't work like that.

Thought SOS explained this quite well - the recruitment of the mature players is to protect / support the development of the younger players.

The club hasn’t used high draft picks on the “stop gap” mature recruitments, if the club had it’d be poor.

high draft picks so far have been spent on the young players, that need to develop as all young players do.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What trade resources have we been eating up?

You're asking for the best of both worlds in a system that has finite resources (draft picks and players) to use as commodities. You simply can't keep all your assets and both bring in the top end talent from the draft and best-22 players through trade over a three year period. It's not possible.

Very sensible statement to make on the subject. Showing we're still open to the idea if we "have to", but not to seem as if we're pushing for one.
That's not "backtracking", it's "clarifying" the club's position. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back