Opinion Is McGovern overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree.

Alir up the other end was just as effective. He would cost half the coin Gov thinks he is worth. Alir is not half the player, he was just as effective last night.

Always good to get some perspective on what is in the market.

Barrass is also close to matching Gov's intercept marking, kicking got a bit to go but Gov often kicks a few howlers trying to be too cute.
He is built up by the press continually.."Gov takes a sensational mark!"..Alir, Rance and dare I say Sheppard can do the same for half the money..in some ways Sheppard can be as good if he gets off the chain, and is a better allrounder and quicker -when it comes to talking big paychecks? flies under the radar a bit.

Aliir is horrid compared to McGovern. He's the best at what he does in the league. It's not the intercept marks that makes him valuable it's the truly contested grabs he takes under huge pressure where nobody would even consider going for a mark.

Nobody does it as well as him.

Having a s**t forward entry kicked to you for an intercept mark isn't something to hang your hat on.

Barrass isnt far behind Gov at all taking contested pack marks in defense.

The point is Gov isn't worth 1m + a year over 5 or 6 years.

Goalkickers, prime midfielders. They deserve the big $$$, not a defender FFS, especially one who looks like he's never had a weights session in his life. I'd offer him 800k x 5 (not 6) years. If he's not happy with that he should be invited to leave and we'll take the compo.

Goalkickers, prime midfielders. They deserve the big $$$, not a defender FFS, especially one who looks like he's never had a weights session in his life. I'd offer him 800k x 5 (not 6) years. If he's not happy with that he should be invited to leave and we'll take the compo.

I would stretch that to $900 or even say $1m in year one and the remainder at $850. If he wants a sixth year well fine ita at a base of $400 plus incentives. You want security fine but we want value for money when he is 33 yrs old.

Some clubs might turn McGovern straight into a forward. I probably would.

Some clubs might turn McGovern straight into a forward. I probably would.
Not so sure he would be a great forward , He would have the opposite problem trying to lead out with a less than perfect kick getting set up . To be perfectly honest at the money being bandied around i am not keen .Luke Ryan is a good intercept mark not as good as mcgovern maybe. But not $700,000 worse !!

its simple do I want to keep him yes, but NO defender is worth 1.2m, I would prefer to pay another defender 800k leaving 400k to bolster midfield.

Clubs intended to take McGovern from us with $1.2 million need to learn from previous examples like:
1. Franklin - Hawthorn to Sydney: Sydney has not won a premiership with Franklin yet but Hawthron continued to win another two without Franklin in 2014, 2015.
2. Chris Judd - Carlton did not benefit but instead we have good use of J Kennedy‘s service.
3. Dangerfield - Geelong is not that great yet!
4. Fevola to Brisbane - A total failure

The moral of the story is : Spending too high to gain a "superstar" from other clubs can result in a decrease in team output.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs intended to take McGovern from us with $1.2 million need to learn from previous examples like:
1. Franklin - Hawthorn to Sydney: Sydney has not won a premiership with Franklin yet but Hawthron continued to win another two without Franklin in 2014, 2015.
2. Chris Judd - Carlton did not benefit but instead we have good use of J Kennedy‘s service.
3. Dangerfield - Geelong is not that great yet!
4. Fevola to Brisbane - A total failure

The moral of the story is : Spending too high to gain a "superstar" from other clubs can result in a decrease in team output.

Yup to this.

Richmond stuck with some misfits and won a flag.

Developed talent from within.

He is built up by the press continually.."Gov takes a sensational mark!"..Alir, Rance and dare I say Sheppard can do the same for half the money..in some ways Sheppard can be as good if he gets off the chain, and is a better allrounder and quicker -when it comes to talking big paychecks? flies under the radar a bit.
he is by the media but he has won us a few games this season

Well there were a lot of people jumping on the Gov is overrated bandwagon to make themselves feel better that he's leaving. Now he's not, hands up WCE fans who think he's over rated. I bet it's far less than thought so even just yesterday.

Well there were a lot of people jumping on the Gov is overrated bandwagon to make themselves feel better that he's leaving. Now he's not, hands up WCE fans who think he's over rated. I bet it's far less than thought so even just yesterday.

my point in making the thread was that his rumoured $$ per year were far too much for what his actual value is

we don’t know exactly how much he’s earning but it could still be the case

wow looks like freo supporters have hacked WCE bigfooty accounts..... No way is he underrated. A big reason we are sitting 2nd is the defensive work of our team and his intercept marks. Best intercept maker in the league, if anything he is underrated....

And people forget he was in the rookie draft

wow looks like freo supporters have hacked WCE bigfooty accounts..... No way is he underrated. A big reason we are sitting 2nd is the defensive work of our team and his intercept marks. Best intercept maker in the league, if anything he is underrated....

And people forget he was in the rookie draft

i don’t really think it’s unreasonable to question the media obsession with him

i agree our defensive work is a big part of why we’re 2nd, i just don’t think he deserves 100% of the credit. Hurn, Shepard and Duggan have been massive this year

he is by the media but he has won us a few games this season
Oh undoubtedly...i just feel he is a favourite son with the press, they love him as do commentators..I also think Barrass could fill his spot adequately, while Hurn, Sheppard, Cole do a complete job-not just intercept marking and tend to be underrated in comparison. But Gov has improved his all round game in recent matches.
This is in the context of his contract and him moving on. I don't want to see him go, but reckon Barrass would step up and fill his shoes.
(it doesn't make me feel better whether he's under or over-rated, staying or going..my view is still the same, there is life after Gov!)
*** wasn't aware he'd signed!! great news!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back