List Mgmt. James Gallagher - New St.Kilda List Manager

Remove this Banner Ad

What does worry me is in that article they've stated the review has highlighted they think the list is more of an issue than the coaching. That coupled with news sexton and Kingsley are staying on has me thinking they still do not get it.

Lethlean might be fantastic in coming off as this hard demanding bloke but if his review has come out thinking it's more the list then I think he's in for a world of hurt in 2 seasons time. He clearly ain't hard enough on the coaches in charge.
Do you think Lethlean would of come to the same conclusion if Richo was out of contract at the end of this year.
I would put money on it that Richo would be out the door

What does worry me is in that article they've stated the review has highlighted they think the list is more of an issue than the coaching. That coupled with news sexton and Kingsley are staying on has me thinking they still do not get it.

Lethlean might be fantastic in coming off as this hard demanding bloke but if his review has come out thinking it's more the list then I think he's in for a world of hurt in 2 seasons time. He clearly ain't hard enough on the coaches in charge.

He can only work with what he’s got. Even if he thinks Richo is an issue he can’t publicy say it is cos Richo is contracted for another 24 months. Kingsley & Sexton may be carrying Richo & are needed to continue to do so. Who knows? Maybe Richo, Sexton & Kingsley are all fulfilling their role & the list is truly ****ed? I don’t think lethlean is quite finished yet more fireworks to come IMO.

He can only work with what he’s got. Even if he thinks Richo is an issue he can’t publicy say it is cos Richo is contracted for another 24 months. Kingsley & Sexton may be carrying Richo & are needed to continue to do so. Who knows? Maybe Richo, Sexton & Kingsley are all fulfilling their role & the list is truly ******? I don’t think lethlean is quite finished yet more fireworks to come IMO.

Correct! Campaigner.

Good points.

Let's suppose they know richo is cooked. Carrying both for 12 months makes sense. If they think they will turf richo next year.

I guess what would be interesting is contract length of the renewals plus the new assistants. If they're 2 years then I think they're backing richo in for the full term. Which means they genuinely rate the senior coaches.

If it's 12 months I think you're carrying comment is right.

He can only work with what he’s got. Even if he thinks Richo is an issue he can’t publicy say it is cos Richo is contracted for another 24 months. Kingsley & Sexton may be carrying Richo & are needed to continue to do so. Who knows? Maybe Richo, Sexton & Kingsley are all fulfilling their role & the list is truly ******? I don’t think lethlean is quite finished yet more fireworks to come IMO.

First time since ameet I feel super excited about what we can do with getting a leg up on the comp

It feels all the clubs get what they want through a combination of salary cap and playing finals

If we can push for finals and this guy can work his magic money wise we could be on a winner. I just hope we get some smarts into the coaching group

First time since ameet I feel super excited about what we can do with getting a leg up on the comp

It feels all the clubs get what they want through a combination of salary cap and playing finals

If we can push for finals and this guy can work his magic money wise we could be on a winner. I just hope we get some smarts into the coaching group

Hopefully TWOWS identifies overpaying of some players & instead spends big on free agents (Gaff).

Strangely enough for this place, there has been very little hand-wringing after this announcement, even though most of us appear never to have heard of him.

Where it is bound to get a bit feral here is when any new assistant coaches are announced if they are not on our Wishlist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Richardson would be worried , knowing he could get the flick at the end of the year - it will come down to what is said behind closed doors - has Richardson got the leaderships skills to lead the coaching team , is he prepared to make the tough calls.

wi2eec.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints settle on banker as new list manager
Nick Bowen
Aug 1, 2018 7:44PM

Forgotten Swan's remarkable return
Nat Edwards with the latest news
142112-tlslargeportrait.jpg

Former Crow James Gallagher is set to be the Saints' new list manager
Related
ST KILDA has settled on its new list manager with former Adelaide Crow and commercial banker James Gallagher set to take on the crucial role.

The Saints have been on the hunt for a new list boss since Tony Elshaug stepped down from the role in June following the club's extremely disappointing start to the 2018 season.

AFL.com.au has confirmed St Kilda has identified Gallagher as the man to lead its list management team, with his appointment expected to be announced on Thursday.

Gallagher played 38 games for Adelaide between 2000-04 and 228 games for Norwood, where he was captain between 2007-11 and won two best and fairest awards and a premiership.

The 38-year-old is now a senior assistant coach at De La Salle Old Collegians, but the Saints were also attracted by his extensive commercial experience outside of football.

Gallagher has worked for Macquarie Business Bank for the past eight years, where he is currently Head of Professionals Bank Victoria. He previously worked at Westpac for four years as commercial banking manager.

St Kilda CEO Matt Finnis detailed the qualities the club was looking for in its new list manager when he spoke to AFL.com.au last week.

"This role comes in to head up recruiting and list management, and really focused on the strategy, the modelling, the contracting, TPP management, all of those elements," Finnis said

Gallagher will work closely with the Saints' national recruiting manager Chris Liberatore, who was promoted to the role of in March.

St Kilda will also seek to bolster the analytics section of its recruiting department.

The Saints entered this season with high hopes of returning to the finals after a seven-year absence.

But the foundations of the long and patient list rebuild they have been working on since the end of Ross Lyon's coaching era in 2011 have appeared shaky this year.

The Saints have identified their midfield as one area that needs an injection of class, with Andrew Gaff and Jared Polec among those rival stars on their radar.

Gallagher's cousin and namesake James works in legal for the AFLPA.
I wonder if this means libba will have more input on the existing list or does the coach?

You can’t trade a bloke that’s out of contract
They aren’t going to sign a 1 year contract to allow you to trade them.
Not sure who you are reffering to here, but yes you can. Just because a player is out of contract doesn't mean they can just walk to the club of their choice unless they are delisted by the club or go to the pre season draft.

Thanks mate!!!! Sounds like we've gone back to the original ameet with trout pairing albeit with a younger group/longer time frame and new ideas.

People seem to really rate libba. He seems pretty impressive and has a hard edge to him.

Could have the next pairing there for a good 5 years
Saints settle on banker as new list manager
Nick Bowen
Aug 1, 2018 7:44PM

Forgotten Swan's remarkable return
Nat Edwards with the latest news
142112-tlslargeportrait.jpg

Former Crow James Gallagher is set to be the Saints' new list manager
Related
ST KILDA has settled on its new list manager with former Adelaide Crow and commercial banker James Gallagher set to take on the crucial role.

The Saints have been on the hunt for a new list boss since Tony Elshaug stepped down from the role in June following the club's extremely disappointing start to the 2018 season.

AFL.com.au has confirmed St Kilda has identified Gallagher as the man to lead its list management team, with his appointment expected to be announced on Thursday.

Gallagher played 38 games for Adelaide between 2000-04 and 228 games for Norwood, where he was captain between 2007-11 and won two best and fairest awards and a premiership.

The 38-year-old is now a senior assistant coach at De La Salle Old Collegians, but the Saints were also attracted by his extensive commercial experience outside of football.

Gallagher has worked for Macquarie Business Bank for the past eight years, where he is currently Head of Professionals Bank Victoria. He previously worked at Westpac for four years as commercial banking manager.

St Kilda CEO Matt Finnis detailed the qualities the club was looking for in its new list manager when he spoke to AFL.com.au last week.

"This role comes in to head up recruiting and list management, and really focused on the strategy, the modelling, the contracting, TPP management, all of those elements," Finnis said

Gallagher will work closely with the Saints' national recruiting manager Chris Liberatore, who was promoted to the role of in March.

St Kilda will also seek to bolster the analytics section of its recruiting department.

The Saints entered this season with high hopes of returning to the finals after a seven-year absence.

But the foundations of the long and patient list rebuild they have been working on since the end of Ross Lyon's coaching era in 2011 have appeared shaky this year.

The Saints have identified their midfield as one area that needs an injection of class, with Andrew Gaff and Jared Polec among those rival stars on their radar.

Gallagher's cousin and namesake James works in legal for the AFLPA.

Things are really cooking aren't they. New list manager, three coaches gone (2 of them were big, the mids and forwards coaches) - Lethlean is wasting no time to re-shape things.

Sounds like we're going after some decent new coaches too and have a fair idea of who we want.

This will make for an interesting trade period. Lethlean seeming like an awesome get.

Ok, our No 1 problem is picking the best talent. So we hire a guy with no track record in this?

Furthermore they seem to just be rubber stamping Liberatore and Co. But everyone from the boot-studder up know that our talent identification has been under-perfoming for years.

Have we just shuffled the deck chairs on the Titanic, when what we really need is someone that can spot icebergs better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back