Prediction 2018 Rising Star

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a nothing award anyway given so many incomparable values. For example 18 yo in 1st year v 20 yo in 3rd year.
KPP players almost never win as they take longer to get their opportunity and rucks never win it.
Then you can chuck in opportunities given to younger players at crap clubs v those at top clubs really don’t play so much in their early years - if Patty Naish was at Carlton I reckon he would have played by now.
Let’s face it Carlton got 5 or 6 noms last year but doesn’t guarantee club success.
And I don’t think the voting criteria is clear -is it who has had the best year or who will be the best player.?
So I reckon Crows will be wrapped with the year Dodee has had, Pies delighted with Stephenson, Lions happy with how Withenden is tracking and we,re not complaining about Higgo. Then injury is preventing Andy Brayshaw winning it but (and wishing him a full recovery) he could be as good as any of them. But up to me, I’d take Adam Cerra as the best of this years bunch.

Bloody shame Brayshaw didn't end up with a nomination. Almost could've given him one based on his first two-and-a-half quarters of the derby.

A long list of guys who deserve one before the season's out and only three to go. Some of Naughton, Spargo, Guelfi, Banfield, Brodie, Worpel will be unlucky.

Bloody shame Brayshaw didn't end up with a nomination. Almost could've given him one based on his first two-and-a-half quarters of the derby.

A long list of guys who deserve one before the season's out and only three to go. Some of Naughton, Spargo, Guelfi, Banfield, Brodie, Worpel will be unlucky.

Jarrod Berry missed out last year which was a bit ridiculous. Hopefully it doesn't matter too much to the players.

Jarrod Berry missed out last year which was a bit ridiculous. Hopefully it doesn't matter too much to the players.

I suppose there's always someone. I remember in 2009 being furious that Tom Swift was overlooked after being BOG in the final round.

Luckily he went on to have a long and illustrious career so it wouldn't have bothered him :p

In Collingwoods 7 losses this year, Stephenson has kicked a total of 1 goal.

I'd personally be taking Witherden. top 4 for rising stars in every relevant stat, and top 10 in the AFL for total marks, rebound 50's and kicks

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-brisbane-lions--alex-witherden

You have to be kidding. Witherden is well and truely overrated. Many of his stats are not damaging.

Also, have you thought that maybe Stephensen is that influential/important that if he is down, the team loses it’s forward line spark?

If you go by stats, you don’t get a proper picture at all. Particularly if you are looking at kicks and marks by a half back chipping around.

Hope you watched tonight’s game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brayden Sier was fantastic tonight -a bull in the contests.
Stephenson confirmed he will win the overall award.
Yep, in only his 6th game of footy, his composure in traffic and ability to put the Pies in a better position with his disposals already looks like he is going to be a more influential player than Witherden.

It's funny reading these Collingwood fans thoughts because sure Stephenson scored his 2 goals, but Witherden directly created the same number of goals last night. 1 was a goal assist from a great kick out of the centre square, while the other was a fantastic defensive read and spoil right on quarter time in a Collingwood attacking chain and we scored a goal directly from that play (not only creating that goal, but probably saving a Collingwood shot on goal).

Probably sums up what Witherden is up against when people are raving about Stephenson getting 25 disposals (with a fair chunk of these were off the back half, something that always some how is turned into a criticism for Witherden) and 2 goals. While in the same game Witherden gets 30 disposals and creates just as many goals through his kicking and defensive plays and yet gets shouted down.

It was frustrating listening to the commentors talk about Witherden last night. They praised our ball movement skills because it results in an entertaining and high scoring brand of footy (Witherden is a big part of that) and yet were just critical on every one of his kicks that didn't come off perfectly (even ones that still hit their target).

Collingwood fans should take their blinkers off. Both had good games, but I'd argue neither were amazingly good either.

Of Witherden's 30 touches, 13 of them were in the D50 and at a guess, half of those would've went 20 metres to a free player on the boundary.

Yes he did some good things in the middle and set up a goal or two, but if last night sums up his year (I haven't seen enough Brisbane games this year) he won't or shouldn't win the Rising Star.

I'd love to see Sier get the nomination this week but I can't help but they'll take into account the fact that Worpel was absolutely robbed earlier in the year when Higgins got nominated. Also the strength of the opposition might come into it.

Of Witherden's 30 touches, 13 of them were in the D50 and at a guess, half of those would've went 20 metres to a free player on the boundary.

Yes he did some good things in the middle and set up a goal or two, but if last night sums up his year (I haven't seen enough Brisbane games this year) he won't or shouldn't win the Rising Star.
Witherden is 11th in the whole competition for meters gained and 8th in the whole competition for rebound 50s... fair to say he isn't just getting all his possessions by chipping it side to side or padding his kicking stats by kicking to a "free player on the boundary" all the time.

Nice try:thumbsu:

To be fair,Witherden literally averages 23.5 touches and 7.5 marks lol. Never going to be able compare goals and score assists of a forward v a defender tho.

His impact wasn't huge last night and I can happily admit that Stephenson was better. Good to see the Pies fans come back out in force after his 9 touch average over the last month didn't give them much to crow about. You don't have to try and tear down the competition to pump up your own player btw.

Would put Tom Cole ahead of Witherden who wouldnt be in the top 5 either. Simply do not rate at all. His kicking is actually deplorable in the fact he constantly tries to bite off way more then he can chew.

Stephenson should win by a country mile from the evidence so far

Would put Tom Cole ahead of Witherden who wouldnt be in the top 5 either. Simply do not rate at all. His kicking is actually deplorable in the fact he constantly tries to bite off way more then he can chew.

Stephenson should win by a country mile from the evidence so far
Here we go. Another bloke judging a player after watching 1 game.

Maybe watch a couple more Lions games before throwing bullshit comments like that.
He's a fantastic kick, just had a bit of an off game. Stephenson has played a few shockers this year but no one says anything about that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back