Unofficial Preview Rd 22 Geelong v Fremantle at KP.. does it even matter ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cunico’s had 15 - 26 disposals every game he played except 1. Had an 8 disposal game then was dropped. Wasn’t even the worst player that game. Would’ve liked to see the club get behind him rather than drop him. We’ve seen guys play 3,4,5 terrible games in a row but are given opportunity. Can’t work it out.
I thought Cunicos 2nd half against Richmond was actually good.
The we drop him for Parsons,who at present looks absolutely devoid of confidence and looks out of place in an AFL level game.
And making 5? changes last wk was always asking for trouble after a decent showing v Tigers.

They were worse in my opinion because we were outplayed and were just banging it forward from our backline. They on the other hand were dominant in the middle of the ground and their skills errors kicking to forwards, unpressured, at critical times, when they could have won the game easily, let them down.
Melbourne have had that feeling all year against good sides that they are 98% there - they just need to have something click on the day.

Obviously Parsons out, Stanley out and I don't want to see too many small forwards. It's just not working. Narkle and Parfitt yes. Fogarty, JJ, Parsons please no. Play attacking football and put some speed in the team, but it's a lost cause TBH as we still don't know our best team. Coaching system is an issue. When a talented list is at your disposal does a coach become lazy?

@uestion re Menzel

If StKilda are courting him with a multi year deal, How is he feeling re the Cats at present
The reports say he wants to stay, but if as stated he is on $180 thousand on yearly deals and is offered $300 a year on a three year deal, we are compromised.
Personally I hope we sign him on a yearly deal, but think he is dreadfully underpaid.
What to do?
We lose his goal sense, I think we are in more dire straits than currently.
So many forwards missing, but he manages to get up for 15 games a year after 4 recos.
Please Cats, we must keep this man on Geelong's list

Two things that stand out for me:
1. No handballs to stationary players.....mainly because everyone is constantly on the move

2. The pressure on Norf players when we don’t have the ball

Both those things are a huge problem in today’s Geelong

Get Bomber back as a consultant coach I reckon and McCarthy as development coach. Why not? Bomber’s been stuffed since he left the Cats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Get Bomber back as a consultant coach I reckon and McCarthy as development coach. Why not? Bomber’s been stuffed since he left the Cats.

I think Bomber has some more pressing issues atm.
The way Cook sounded a few weeks ago, it’s almost certain their going to extend Scott’s contract again.
I’ve stuck by the club through good times and bad........I sat through four GF losses in 7 years, but these are the least enjoyable years I can ever recall following the Cats.
We are going nowhere under Scott and all the failures are just so predictable and avoidable.
Don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed the footy less, than I do now.

We are a mediocre team. Need to take a risk with selection and change things up. Release the shackles. Kids are the future, play them Rd 1 2019 but for now I want to give 4-8yr players their last chance.

In: Smith, Taylor, Bews, GHS, Murdoch
Out: Stanley, O’Connor, Parsons, Fogarty, Narkle

Taylor CHF, Henry back, Danger permanent forward, Guthrie in the guts (last chance), Murdoch forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair calls
I like Cunico and shouldn't have left him out
I also meant Stanley prior to Kolo if he is fit.
We haven't played the two ruck system since Ratagolea and I'd prefer his damage down forward allowing the other two to play more defensively.
Smith is too good to put on the scrap heap and I'd like to know what has happened between him and Scotty this year
He could be immensely damaging in finals and I'd love to see him back
I have major issues with Guthrie running into trouble all the time in defense and taking on players he can't get around. We cannot afford to be cost goals in the finals and he needs to be removed from his defensive duties in my opinion. Like the kid, but he is not a defender.
Me too.
And GAJ can't wait either.
Have they even played together this year?

Get Bomber back as a consultant coach I reckon and McCarthy as development coach. Why not?
Perhaps because, I dunno, he's on several unresolved drug charges, had a curious meltdown at Essendon, and may not exactly take well to coming back as Number Three where he used to be in charge?

We are a mediocre team. Need to take a risk with selection and change things up. Release the shackles. Kids are the future, play them Rd 1 2019 but for now I want to give 4-8yr players their last chance.

In: Smith, Taylor, Bews, GHS, Murdoch
Out: Stanley, O’Connor, Parsons, Fogarty, Narkle

Taylor CHF, Henry back, Danger permanent forward, Guthrie in the guts (last chance), Murdoch forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Narkle has to stay in IMO.

Come finals the team should look something like this in my view

Bews Blicavs Henderson
Tuohy Taylor Stewart
Kelly J.Selwood Duncan
Menegola Hawkins Parfitt
Menzel Ratagolea Narkle
Smith Dangerfield Ablett
Henry S.Selwood Menegola Kolo/Stanley (if fit)

Two rucks if Stanley fit. As his calf is dodgy I'd bring Smith back this week to have him finals ready
McCarthy may replace Narkle if fully ready to go
Guthrie would only be picked if Kolo/Stanley spot needs a runner. Do not have him in the back half.

It is time to get serious by final round selection. Any later we're stuffed

Linc for fog or Jones but Linc is another myth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fyfe possible return this week, also Bennell.
This game is our most important of the season if we care about making finals.
The only reason I'm not worried is a sense of fatalism
IF we win, great, GC the week after.......
IF we lose, it was just not meant to be this year.

But, I am worried

The way Cook sounded a few weeks ago, it’s almost certain their going to extend Scott’s contract again.
I’ve stuck by the club through good times and bad........I sat through four GF losses in 7 years, but these are the least enjoyable years I can ever recall following the Cats.
We are going nowhere under Scott and all the failures are just so predictable and avoidable.

Yeah I was being a little facetious! Sorry.

I remember, I think it was 2004 and billy was interviewing Bomber after a narrow loss to Adelaide ( might have been the finger game ), on krock and the view at the time was after it has to be said allot of good will, that people started on Bomber calling for his head.
Krock were just starting to call for his head.
I reckon krock are in same pos now. Geelong fans have finally gone up in arms.

Oh for f$$& sake now on talking footy they are talking up hawks for the flag. Either parsons or hawk kick either of those shots back to the centre any body’s game. Bloody hell. Gaj kicks either of those shots in the third or we get any ass kicks or luck and they’re sunk. Any luck. None last two weeks. None against doggies either. But luck against the dees. 1 out of four.

Despite some of our recent differences, I respect your "heart on sleeve" posts.
We are all in this support of Geelong together, albeit having differing ways of expressing it and enjoying it, and recently, enduring it.
But one thing I seriously believe about this club, and I can't forget the dark 70's either, there seriously is something special about this great club. There is always something good on the horizon, and that horizon could still be this year.
I sat through the dismal finals when RICHMOND smashed us in the late 60's early 70's and that led to a really bleak era for us.
Then came Billy Goggin and Malcolm Blight as coaches, and GAS, and the rest is history, but it looked really forlorn back then, worse than now...
Recently, those 3 flags have definitely satiated my hunger, not t say I wouldn't love another flag, but somehow, I really believe some other teams possibly deserve a piece of the action too. I went to the Demons Swans game, and if ever a club could feel they were doomed to be fragile it is Melbourne.
This season is not yet over. I still hanker for Smith making a return, and we have to see out the entire season before declaring it's been all failure. Should we lose to Freo this week, I think we should have a week of complete abstinence from BF.

Last edited:
I read on here quite often that we bring in future mids and expect them to play a forward role, when we have a genuine small forward in the VFL doing what he’s good at.
Kicking goals, bring Miers in!!
What’s there to lose? Kids got talent
18 goals in 16 VFL games doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in his goalkicking ability

For comparison Jones has 11 from 8, Buzza has 18 from 12 and Narkle had 9 from 6

So in terms of VFL goals per game Narkle and Buzza have 1.5, Jones has 1.375, Miers 1.125

Miers also played the JLT, kicking one goal from the two games.

@uestion re Menzel

If StKilda are courting him with a multi year deal, How is he feeling re the Cats at present
The reports say he wants to stay, but if as stated he is on $180 thousand on yearly deals and is offered $300 a year on a three year deal, we are compromised.
Personally I hope we sign him on a yearly deal, but think he is dreadfully underpaid.
What to do?
We lose his goal sense, I think we are in more dire straits than currently.
So many forwards missing, but he manages to get up for 15 games a year after 4 recos.
Please Cats, we must keep this man on Geelong's list
his contract has incentives, he will be taking home over 300k
saints are offering 300k min
thats the difference

18 goals in 16 VFL games doesn't exactly fill me with confidence in his goalkicking ability

For comparison Jones has 11 from 8, Buzza has 18 from 12 and Narkle had 9 from 6

So in terms of VFL goals per game Narkle and Buzza have 1.5, Jones has 1.375, Miers 1.125

Miers also played the JLT, kicking one goal from the two games.

What’s there to lose though mate, when those players come into the AFL side they don’t get a kick anyway, if it works great.
If I doesn’t then so be it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back