Roast The leadership of the Port Adelaide FC

Remove this Banner Ad

We need change at all levels. We lost killer instinct years ago and havent recovered.

Koch and KT have done a lot for our club, but we have stagnated on field and stagnated off field.

I feel we are in too deep with the leaders at our club. Everyone is too comfortable.

We went all in this year and failed dismally. The board, if it has any balls at all have to make some tough decisions this year. The whole club depends on it.

We just re-signed Michael Voss for two more years, so good luck with that.

We need change at all levels. We lost killer instinct years ago and havent recovered.

Koch and KT have done a lot for our club, but we have stagnated on field and stagnated off field.

I feel we are in too deep with the leaders at our club. Everyone is too comfortable.

We went all in this year and failed dismally. The board, if it has any balls at all have to make some tough decisions this year. The whole club depends on it.

We are sorely lacking in ruthlessness and that starts from the very top.

As I've posted many times in the last couple of weeks, the club is unrecognisable.

Take the easy option and this is what you get.

We are sorely lacking in ruthlessness and that starts from the very top.

As I've posted many times in the last couple of weeks, the club is unrecognisable.

Take the easy option and this is what you get.

Yes, all very easy to say but the Board have given the football department every assistance and facility they require to prosper. The Board does not 'manage' the operations unless there is a complete breakdown between the CEO and the Board.

To my thinking, the Board has received advice from the CEO (Thomas) in concert with the Football Manager (Davies) and perhaps Matthew Richardson, Executive General Manager in making their decisions.

A Board of any company overiding or ignoring the advice of their senior management is a recipe for disaster.

ATM, I seriously don'tknow what to think is going on.

A pointless opinion, Hinkley must go along with Bass and Lade.

There's a lot of questions that need answers. We are sorely overdue for change.

1) China. Are we sacrificing on field success as part of this? I understand the potential long term gains from it. But that doesn't change the fact we're then travelling more than any other team, playing a game in trying conditions, and most importantly having an earlier bye. This year we have seen fatigue set in and form drop earlier than other teams, and I think its had an impact.

2) Our recruiting. We supposedly went "all in" last trade period, but gutted our list of capable depth (especially losing Ah Chee and Austin for instance), traded out both back up ruck options without a ready to go replacement (seemingly relying on Frampton to get up despite his shoulder op), and essentially relied on Dixon and Ryder making it through unscathed. Why? Why put so much into this tilt without having the necessary depth? Not to mention recruiting Rockliff on a significant longterm deal with his shoulder issue, then seemingly not having the funds to match offers for Polec, and looking like we might lose a promising young player in Atley because of this.

3) Our football department structure. How do we continue to see the same mistakes in skill, decision making and composure despite significant on field(and really offield)personnel changes? Given the contract statuses, I expect some change won't occur this year, but I'd like to see new assistant coaches in, new structure to the football department as a bare minimum.

4) On field leadership. The last minutes of the West Coast and showdown losses were quite damning. Plenty of our senior players made some pretty elementary errors. It almost seems, for lack of a better term, we're trying too hard at times, tensing up and losing composure. Eberts errors v West Coast, Wines goal miss, Hombsch's efforts against Jenkins, Clurey blazing away, not manufacturing another shot after getting it back in the showdown. These occur again and again.

We at the very least need a full independent review of the football department (and I hope it's already going), and it needs to be properly independent, not run by KT, and actually lead to change. I actually don't mind if Ken stays, as I think everyone pinning it on him are missing the whole picture of plenty going awry in many different areas.

I honestly don't think they know what to do. At no point in the KT and Koch rule have they had to deal with significant unrest. Considering they didn't see it coming I'm convinced they have been unable to formulate a workable strategy yet to sell to the people and as far as I am concerned there is only one that will be acceptable but they won't even consider it.

Yes, all very easy to say but the Board have given the football department every assistance and facility they require to prosper. The Board does not 'manage' the operations unless there is a complete breakdown between the CEO and the Board.

To my thinking, the Board has received advice from the CEO (Thomas) in concert with the Football Manager (Davies) and perhaps Matthew Richardson, Executive General Manager in making their decisions.

A Board of any company overiding or ignoring the advice of their senior management is a recipe for disaster.

ATM, I seriously don'tknow what to think is going on.

A pointless opinion, Hinkley must go along with Bass and Lade.

Bassett is a major problem. He's sold Ken his Moneyball, Data Warehouse bullshit and Ken has bought in lock, stock and barrel.

Lade........well, he just isn't a very bright fellow.

Boak is the softest bloke going around, he demands nothing from other players and has never made a personal call on a player in his life because he might offend, his personal playing performance is that bad but his leadership is non-existence and you can see all the hallmarks of Ken in his leadership style
I felt like the sight of Boak and Gray bitching in the corner at half time and then walking off shaking their heads was a sign of where our leadership is ATM.

If you have an issue say it to the whole group. That's leadership!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I felt like the sight of Boak and Gray bitching in the corner at half time and then walking off shaking their heads was a sign of where our leadership is ATM.
How can you possibly make judgement without knowing being one of them?

We just re-signed Michael Voss for two more years, so good luck with that.
Would we have signed Voss if we waited till now or till the end of the season - you know like next week? I'd like to think not so what was the bloody hurry? Our midfield has been shite for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are too nice from within because we cop it so much externally. Nobody in the country gives us a warm pat on the back ever and it grinds everyone down day by day week by week year by year. So this regime set about building a strong base and establishing something that could be respected, but we stopped building on that. Essentially we are too nice which is a problem many of us have realised in many different areas. I made a post the other day about how ugly it is that we have put all these non-negotiables in place that end up hurting us. Bigging up Ollie as next captain wont keep a fire burning under his ass, you don't want to make it at age 23 in a lazy system or you'll regress. Pretending Ebert is too good for SANFL and sticking with that no matter what happens. Not being able to drop your captain cos its your captain and people would laugh at us. Don't mean to heap s**t on individuals, they are only a part of this nice system. Brad Ebert didn't know he'd come here and stop learning anything new, remember how he was brought in to lift standards? He's become nothing. Nobody at the PAFC has taught that man a single new thing since we got him back from WCE, how ****ed is that? Dixon didn't think a real club would pick him up but then not teach him how to play real footy or correct his vision or whatever's wrong with him. Dixon in lesdership group?! Nothing against the man, again I am looking at the system, I could almost believe he was put in the leadership group because he has a beard and looks good in promo shots next to the other lads.

This s**t the club keeps coming back to about how they don't teach skills because anyone in the system can already play footy is ridiculous. They don't focus on the basics cos the players should "just know them". That's exactly why we look like a joke.

We are too nice from within because we cop it so much externally. Nobody in the country gives us a warm pat on the back ever and it grinds everyone down day by day week by week year by year. So this regime set about building a strong base and establishing something that could be respected, but we stopped building on that. Essentially we are too nice which is a problem many of us have realised in many different areas. I made a post the other day about how ugly it is that we have put all these non-negotiables in place that end up hurting us. Bigging up Ollie as next captain wont keep a fire burning under his ass, you don't want to make it at age 23 in a lazy system or you'll regress. Pretending Ebert is too good for SANFL and sticking with that no matter what happens. Not being able to drop your captain cos its your captain and people would laugh at us. Don't mean to heap s**t on individuals, they are only a part of this nice system. Brad Ebert didn't know he'd come here and stop learning anything new, remember how he was brought in to lift standards? He's become nothing. Nobody at the PAFC has taught that man a single new thing since we got him back from WCE, how ****** is that? Dixon didn't think a real club would pick him up but then not teach him how to play real footy or correct his vision or whatever's wrong with him. Dixon in lesdership group?! Nothing against the man, again I am looking at the system, I could almost believe he was put in the leadership group because he has a beard and looks good in promo shots next to the other lads.

This s**t the club keeps coming back to about how they don't teach skills because anyone in the system can already play footy is ridiculous. They don't focus on the basics cos the players should "just know them". That's exactly why we look like a joke.
But if we change our game plan use the ball and kick to Dixon on the lead or at the minimum not on his head you entire opinion of him changes?

Really like the idea of Jonas as next captain, pretty cluey and a hard-nosed type operator. Pretty sure Ollie will happen anyway - which wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing, but if we're in for a couple of years of pain then my wish would be for Jonas in there setting the standard and standing up for the kids and teaching the ken mercenaries the PAFC way (the good version not the capitulating top 4 version)

As an aside anyone know the highest number worn by any previous PAFC captain before/after their captaincy?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The board would have ratified Hinkley's extension. A complete ******* disaster of a decision that should see some lose their board positions.

How would that work? The only two we have any power to remove are Thiele and Fiacchi. As I posted elsewhere there are five members of the Board who had zero experience at running a football club prior to 2012. Those five people form a majority on the Board and George Fiacchi and Neville Thiele, the only two we can vote off, are not among the five.

Last edited:
I have never had the process through which someone is appointed to the PAFC Board explained to me. It would be interesting to know how these people are appointed and who has the power to remove them. It would also be good to know the process through which a Coach is reappointed.

I posted the link below on another thread and it is interesting to look at the CVs of the PAFC Directors. Amanda Vanstone sits on eleven different Boards and is Chair of several. You wonder how much time she has to devote to the affairs of the PAFC and how much priority the PAFC gets in her schedule? Several other Directors sit on several Boards in addition to holding down full time jobs. Obviously these are well credentialed people and have a bit to bring to the PAFC Board but you also wonder where the PAFC sits in relation to their busy schedules.

http://footyindustry.com/files/2017 Annual Reports/2017 Port Adelaide Annual Report.pdf

How would that work? The only two we have any power to remove are Thiele and Fiacchi. As I posted elsewhere there are five members of the Board who had zero experience at running a football club prior to 2012. Those five people form a majority on the Board and George Fiacchi and Neville Thiele, the only two we can vote off, are not among the five.

The AFL/SANFL need to step in but they won't because their interest is only that the club is viable, not successful.

This could be a motivating factor behind the change in motto from "we exist to win premierships" to "we exist to win premierships and make our community proud". It's a deliberate shift in focus that appears designed to distract members from the lack of premierships.

The AFL/SANFL need to step in but they won't because their interest is only that the club is viable, not successful.

This could be a motivating factor behind the change in motto from "we exist to win premierships" to "we exist to win premierships and make our community proud". It's a deliberate shift in focus that appears designed to distract members from the lack of premierships.

I thought I was the only one who thought that way. You only have to look at the number of community based Boards that our Directors sit on to see the substance in that argument.

I'm not sure they are. I think we are getting the most out of this group. We've been saying for 4 years now "we need to work on skills" and 4 years later we have the same problems. The coaching isn't perfect for sure but we are expecting more from players that I'm not sure have another level to go.

I think our 2nd string guys are as good as they are going to get - Amon, DBJ, Jonas, Polec, Hombsch, S Gray. They aren't going to another level.

Our senior players make too many mistakes and always have. Ebert, Dixon, Pittard, Wines, Hoff, Motlop have their moments but overall make too many easy mistakes when the game is on the line.

There is absolutely no guarantee at all that a new coach would get anything different out of these players who've had extensive time to improve themselves but can't.

Everyone would agree that our best 22 is superior to the 2015 version. Our squad is older and more experienced. The competition is more even now but overall it's weaker. We had a decent draw and few injuries yet cannot make the top 8 let alone win 2 finals. There is no way this team has played to its potential.

Boak to me is a leader that leads by example by giving 100% and being a good bloke to everyone but doesn't have it to direct players and organise the team like Tredrea could.

Jonas before getting injured was basically coaching our back 6 in game.

The SANFL are irrelevant to our governance (since early 2014 when the licence handover occurred).

True, my bad.

AFL appoints 8 and Members elect 2 which must be approved by the AFL.

We exist to exist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back