Universal Love Thank you Mr Betts (not retired/dead)

Remove this Banner Ad

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's been a hard year for you. Watching you play tired and sore all year. Watching you pick yourself up and hobble away from contest after contest. Watching you scragged and pushed and punched. Watching you keep getting up after countless obvious frees not being paid. You wouldn't let the basterds get to you

Watching you never give up.

Considering your young family considering how offensive collective minds was to you culturally when the club claims to be sensitive and supportive of your culture. Considering how many pre seasons you've done and how disadvantaged of an upbringing you had, effecting your fitness and health in your body's most important development years

You sir are a demi god.. You iced our last two wins at home. You found something late in games no one else on the park could. Your spirit the difference. You brought joy to many after a year of suffering. You had the right to say I've done enough and look after you

It is always those that have known true suffering are there when others are not. Find that extra for them for us.

downloadfile-1.jpg

Thanks edwardo.. love your work!..

But.. The club should have said to eddie two weeks ago.. “youre on paid holidays buddy... take an extra long break and we’ll see you back for the start of the pre-season”... “oh and if you and the missus want a couple of weeks sojurn in the bahamas without the kids.. we’ll pay for it and organise someone to look after the kids”

But no... thatd be the smart thing to do.. instead we’ll take a veteran and wring the last drops out of his body in dead rubbers.. because, well, you know... winning cultures an all!..

Even though Betts has had a down year by his standards, to kick 26 goals at 1.5 a game would still make him the best small forward at most clubs.

That's around the same mark as guys like Fantasia, Gresham, Cripps, and only a bit behind (on average) compared to Robbie Gray

Even though Betts has had a down year by his standards, to kick 26 goals at 1.5 a game would still make him the best small forward at most clubs.

That's around the same mark as guys like Fantasia, Gresham, Cripps, and only a bit behind (on average) compared to Robbie Gray
I really hope Betts gets another kid under his wings. I'm sure he worked with Murphy and Jarmin this year, but the relationship he had with Charlie was deeper then just footy players who play roughly the same position. It seemed to be a real purpose for Eddie to get Charlie to reach his potential, and I genuinely believe it made him a better player to have that mentoring role and be a role model on and off the field for CC.

Ideally I think we would all love that player to be Rankine, as he seems to tick a lot of the boxes that Charlie did, but is miles ahead in terms of skillbase. Plus they already seem to have a relationship built.

I really hope Betts gets another kid under his wings. I'm sure he worked with Murphy and Jarmin this year, but the relationship he had with Charlie was deeper then just footy players who play roughly the same position. It seemed to be a real purpose for Eddie to get Charlie to reach his potential, and I genuinely believe it made him a better player to have that mentoring role and be a role model on and off the field for CC.

Ideally I think we would all love that player to be Rankine, as he seems to tick a lot of the boxes that Charlie did, but is miles ahead in terms of skillbase. Plus they already seem to have a relationship built.

I actually think drafting Rankine would add two new players to the club. Rankine and a revitalised Eddie. I could see Eddie really getting his joy back and having an AA year if Rankine was running around next to him.

I actually think drafting Rankine would add two new players to the club. Rankine and a revitalised Eddie. I could see Eddie really getting his joy back and having an AA year if Rankine was running around next to him.
I couldn't agree more!

1 more year ... 6 games short of 300. rest up the next 10 weeks

I agree with that for most players. Put them away already. In the case of Eddie, if he can have a big game against Carlton it could mean the world of difference between how he mentally approaches the pre-season. He needs to believe that he still has one more elite year left. 5 goals this week would be huge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks edwardo.. love your work!..

But.. The club should have said to eddie two weeks ago.. “youre on paid holidays buddy... take an extra long break and we’ll see you back for the start of the pre-season”... “oh and if you and the missus want a couple of weeks sojurn in the bahamas without the kids.. we’ll pay for it and organise someone to look after the kids”

But no... thatd be the smart thing to do.. instead we’ll take a veteran and wring the last drops out of his body in dead rubbers.. because, well, you know... winning cultures an all!..
Doubt he would have wanted to. It’s dangerous to give up your spot, even for someone like Eddie Betts.

Gee I hope this is sarcasm mate. Hes been fine, a full year would have seen 35 goals or more.
Nah no sarcasm unfortunately.

Last year he had 30 odd goal assists. This year I think 8.

He needs to get himself right. I honestly think Charlie leaving, who Betts himself described as a little brother, really deflated him and his love of the game seems to have evaporated somewhat.

He's still been serviceable as you say. But that's not good enough for a player of his talent.

Maybe getting Rankine won't just add up to the sum of what Rankine provides, but may also reinvigorate Eddie and have a multiplying effect...

Nah no sarcasm unfortunately.

Last year he had 30 odd goal assists. This year I think 8.

He needs to get himself right. I honestly think Charlie leaving, who Betts himself described as a little brother, really deflated him and his love of the game seems to have evaporated somewhat.

He's still been serviceable as you say. But that's not good enough for a player of his talent.

Maybe getting Rankine won't just add up to the sum of what Rankine provides, but may also reinvigorate Eddie and have a multiplying effect...
Thing is, we have to start to understand Eddie will be 32 soon and the cliff can come real quick.

If he can average 1.5 goals next year and lift the assists slightly, I'd be happy with that

Nah, those blokes get triple his disposal numbers. Plus his defensive stats are down. Not a good year by any standards.

Nah, those blokes get triple his disposal numbers. Plus his defensive stats are down. Not a good year by any standards.
Disposals mean jack all as a small forward

How many goals he kicked in his five seasons? Impact he never gets big number disposals. He just had no impact.

i thought he'd retired and i wasnt fussed. How things have changed.

Really? He has had a down year as has the whole club but he still brings electricity to the contest and although his goal tally hasn't been as high this year he is a walk up best 22 in any club in the AFL - he creates panic in defenders you can see it - if we lose Eddie to retirement we are definitely worse off.

Thing is, we have to start to understand Eddie will be 32 soon and the cliff can come real quick.

If he can average 1.5 goals next year and lift the assists slightly, I'd be happy with that
Another reason to draft Rankine.

Once our foundation players retired we've never had the early draft picks to draft really classy ball users in the mids. So our delivery I50 has been ordinary.

Betts has been huge in mitigating that weakness and making goals out of nothing. We need a replacement pretty urgently now.

Really? He has had a down year as has the whole club but he still brings electricity to the contest and although his goal tally hasn't been as high this year he is a walk up best 22 in any club in the AFL - he creates panic in defenders you can see it - if we lose Eddie to retirement we are definitely worse off.
Sure. And the season is over and is he going to be better, worse or the same next year?

I agree that this has not been his best season, but watching him get rag dolled off the ball several times on Saturday made my blood boil. In the last q (I think) his opponent grabbed him round the neck as he was about to lead and threw him to the ground. This with an umpire about 6 metres away. No whistle. There were 4 or 5 infringements against him during the game and all within goal-scoring distance. The umpiring was putrid, not just for us, North as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back