Universal Love Who would you have, Roughy or Buddy?

Who would you rather?

• Buddy

Votes: 96 60.4%
  • Roughy

Votes: 63 39.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's absolutely amazing that people have reduced this thread into "Who would you rather have at the club if one was going to leave at the end of 2013?" to "Who is the better player?".

That's not the question at all - if both came to you at the end of 2013 and said either he goes or I do, who would you have kept? Based on off-field as much as on-field, I believe Rough would have been the better choice.

Amazing effort for the swans to be above us considering they sold their soul for one player.

I'm sorry, did the nucleus of their midfield leave in one trade period like ours? Amazing that a team who got rid of their best and fairest winner and the bloke who came second have fallen off a bit more than the team who didn't.

I'm sorry, did the nucleus of their midfield leave in one trade period like ours? Amazing that a team who got rid of their best and fairest winner and the bloke who came second have fallen off a bit more than the team who didn't.

Most post was tongue in cheek not sure if you gathered that.

It's absolutely amazing that people have reduced this thread into "Who would you rather have at the club if one was going to leave at the end of 2013?" to "Who is the better player?".

That's not the question at all - if both came to you at the end of 2013 and said either he goes or I do, who would you have kept? Based on off-field as much as on-field, I believe Rough would have been the better choice.
Rough is pretty much a father figure to the other 43 on our list.

I'd be surprised if Bud even knew the names of all 21 players he runs out with each week, let alone the other 22 toiling away in the 2nds...

Where is everyone when Buddy has a down game? Last night was pathetic by him, playing injured or not he just gave up after Hurley beat him in a few one on ones.

Was also not a fan of hearing that Buddy only trained around 20 minutes in total this year. I know it's probably to help him get up for games but he's clearly not the same type of player to have around the club as Rough. Zero leadership.

Where is everyone when Buddy has a down game? Last night was pathetic by him, playing injured or not he just gave up after Hurley beat him in a few one on ones.

Was also not a fan of hearing that Buddy only trained around 20 minutes in total this year. I know it's probably to help him get up for games but he's clearly not the same type of player to have around the club as Rough. Zero leadership.

Sorry but this is a poor call. Roughy has poor games far more frequently than Buddy.

I love the Rough as a player and leader but anyone with two eyes would take Buddy at his Sydney output - and salary - since he left.

Swans leave Buddy one on one but his opponent is beating him regularly.
The problem is that the commentators go into overdrive when he even gets near the ball.

I wonder if Buddy even knows the names of his teammates?

;)

Sorry but this is a poor call. Roughy has poor games far more frequently than Buddy.

I love the Rough as a player and leader but anyone with two eyes would take Buddy at his Sydney output - and salary - since he left.

I've got four eyes, therefore I voted the Rough.

There's so much more to this argument than who the better player is, who's kicked the most goals, etc. There's a certain culture at Hawthorn, much as there is at all clubs. The success we've enjoyed over the past 50 years doesn't come about by just loading the team with the best players. The 1976 & 1978 premierships are a case in point.

North Melbourne were the more talented side on paper and the first club to really actively pursue players from outside the club, mainly from interstate. In 1976, the only player at Hawthorn from interstate was Rodney Eade, recruited from Tasmania as a veritable novice. Those flags were won, not on talent, but in the relationships between club and player.

Going through the 8 grand finals for 5 flags from 1983 to 1991, the strength of the club was not only talent, but in how the players embraced the club. The same can said of the 4 flags from 2008 to 2015. Players such as Hodge, Mitchell, etc came to live within the culture of the club. Many star players who could have earned a higher pay packet elsewhere, elected to stay at the club in the belief they would enjoy future club success.

Roughy is another such player. His passion is for the ongoing success of the Hawthorn Football Club, his legacy will be what he passes on to other young players coming through the club. Buddy is a great player, there's no doubting that, but I doubt if he ever really gave a lot of thought to other players around him, or the Hawthorn FC in general. He took the deal with Sydney, good luck to him, but I don't feel there's any coincidence that he has not enjoyed premiership success there. The fact Hawthorn has won 2 since he left has to tell you something.

Give me a person like Roughy over Buddy any day. Roughy is the type of player who makes the club great. Roughy is captain of the Hawthorn Football Club, Buddy would never have been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roughy is too much an integral part of our leadership at the club that he's indispensable. I think Roughy well reflects the culture of the club. Passionate, loving and can get through any challenge thrown at him. Thats how I like to think of the club and that is what makes this club a desirable place to play football.

In saying this Buddy is the better player but not the best player to have to lead this club into the future and drive others to perform at their best. He leads by example both on and off the field.

Buddy has singlehandedly dragged Sydney into the Finals in recent weeks, hopefully he doesn't drag them into the top 4 this Saturday night. On track for a record equalling 8th All Australian selection and will probably pass the Velvet Sledgehammer into 7th on the All time leading goalkickers list before the seasons over.

Buddy has singlehandedly dragged Sydney into the Finals in recent weeks, hopefully he doesn't drag them into the top 4 this Saturday night. On track for a record equalling 8th All Australian selection and will probably pass the Velvet Sledgehammer into 7th on the All time leading goalkickers list before the seasons over.
And still wouldn't have him at the hawks.

Single handedly dragged him over on such superstar players as Jack Madgen, Jeremy Finlayson and Sam Frost.

On two occasions in the last three weeks his first choice opponent has gone down injured. I know he's still been good but the absolute jerk-fest over his efforts is way too much.

Single handedly dragged him over on such superstar players as Jack Madgen, Jeremy Finlayson and Sam Frost.

On two occasions in the last three weeks his first choice opponent has gone down injured. I know he's still been good but the absolute jerk-fest over his efforts is way too much.

Imagine what he might have done at the Hawks with Carlisle and Brown out last week ;) Might have actually been able to torch a team that had all their KPD missing. :D

Imagine what he might have done at the Hawks with Carlisle and Brown out last week ;) Might have actually been able to torch a team that had all their KPD missing. :D

Jack Gunston did take advantage, kicked 4 goals and had 4 goal assists on a day where we weren't exactly getting the ball into him too well.

Has kicked 11 goals 6 with 7 goal assists in the past 3 weeks to Franklin's 13 goals 13 with 4 goal assists.

A single point in Franklin's favour in terms of scoreboard contribution.

Jack Gunston did take advantage, kicked 4 goals and had 4 goal assists on a day where we weren't exactly getting the ball into him too well.

Has kicked 11 goals 6 with 7 goal assists in the past 3 weeks to Franklin's 13 goals 13 with 4 goal assists.

A single point in Franklin's favour in terms of scoreboard contribution.

Jack was huge. But people who try to talk Buddy down amuse me no end. Who cares who he dominates when he lifts his team to wins they aren't expected to get? Like the teams themselves, you deal with who you are presented.

Can guarantee if he was in B&G v the Saints last week we would not have been involved in a nail biter.

Jack was huge. But people who try to talk Buddy down amuse me no end. Who cares who he dominates when he lifts his team to wins they aren't expected to get? Like the teams themselves, you deal with who you are presented.

Can guarantee if he was in B&G v the Saints last week we would not have been involved in a nail biter.

I don't think you can guarantee that at all.

The point is that he didn't deal with who he was presented for two of those games, he dealt with replacement players who probably didn't spend the week preparing to play on him like his first choice opponents did.

I would take Buddy back. He is one of my all time favourite Hawthorn players. Hell before he left he was one of the main reasons I went to the footy. I loved to watch him play. He did some amazing things for us. He is involved in some all time iconic moments of hawthorn history

I'd like him back at the club because I love watching him play
He's going pretty well this year for someone who isn't fit, imagine if he was fit and at a team with a creative coach.....

That said I'm kind of over this thread most of it is one poster gloating every time Buddy plays well for Sydney

I don't think you can guarantee that at all.

The point is that he didn't deal with who he was presented for two of those games, he dealt with replacement players who probably didn't spend the week preparing to play on him like his first choice opponents did.

Can't guarantee. But a great deal of confidence.

They are who he was presented with. 100% fact and indisputable. Game circumstances may have made it that way but that is what the game presented him with. If it was the Hawks he was representing under the exact same circumstances with the same opponents and his team teetering on the precipice of missing the finals we'd all be absolutely talking up his contribution no end.

Back