Unofficial Preview Best 22! Who’s in the team Round 1, 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is the better option:

Kosi, Lynch or Ramsden?

I'd just pump games into Ramsden but I have NFI.
Not in answer to your initial question, but I don't believe Ramsden is yet at the level that the games he gets need be AFL level. It's likely he'd benefit more from 15+ games at VFL level with AFL game(s) late in the season than he would by playing early & having no clue.

More so, the team would likely be better off in the above scenario than if he were given games where he couldn't contribute.

Kosi, Lynch or Ramsden?

Me too, given the choice between Kosi and Ramsden. Ramsden is slight and not quite physically developed enough to bang in the contests, but his workrate and hands around the ground offer something more than Kosi does. Put him at CHF and leave the resting ruck at FF to bring the ball to ground.

I recall reading somewhere recently and of course now can’t find it that max lynch had the best forward craft of the rucks so maybe his chances improve with that in mind.
Pretty sure Sam mentioned it in the presser the other day?

I think Reeves has 2x scoring shots a week in him, but I kinda make that assumption with Lewis on the park.

There should be very few instances where he's outmarked so we need to capitalise on that.
A Reeves Meek ruck combo rotating as deep fwd could be really exciting and would allow Bruest to kick about a 1000 goals from front and centre work. 👌

Kosi, Lynch or Ramsden?

I'd give Jeka a block of games to start. Next to Kosi.

If not, I'm not sure what was the point of keeping him on the list?

Is he really now only considered a key defender? Of which we have Sicily, Blanck, DGB and Frost ahead of him.

To me this is his opportunity to make a career for himself. He's had some games behind the ball, where it's easy to get a kick in modern AFL. Time to show what he can bring in our biggest area of need and why he was drafted.

I have a different take on it. He is reported to have 'completed the session before reporting pain the following day' suggests to me it's at the more minor end of the spectrum. Fingers crossed.
Hope you’re right.

As long as it’s not like a Wingard calf which starts at 1-2 and ends up 5-6.

Is he really now only considered a key defender? Of which we have Sicily, Blanck, DGB and Frost ahead of him.

To me this is his opportunity to make a career for himself. He's had some games behind the ball, where it's easy to get a kick in modern AFL. Time to show what he can bring in our biggest area of need and why he was drafted.
I tend to agree but view it slightly differently….

If Jeka is doing as well/better than Ramsden/Lynch/Greene in the next 6 weeks then he gets first crack at a front 6 spot in rds 1 - 3.

I wouldn’t give games to anyone on our list at the moment.

Last edited:

The club appears to have written off the chance of him being a forward. He's being trained as a defender, and it's really last chance saloon. Had it not been those promising block of games late last year, from all reports he would have been delisted then.

Yes we have a few key defender stocks, but competition for spots is critical for any good side, and there's no reason he can't lock down a spot if he's good enough.

I think we need to move past Jeka being a forward, unless something drastically changes with the way he plays.

I think McKenzie will play, Stephens would have to be a chance to make his club debut.

Greene will play either way. He wasn’t really competing with Lewis. His main competition for that half forward spot was always going to be Serong.

B: Jiath, Blanck, Hardwick

HB: Sicily, Grainger-Barras, Scrimshaw

C: Day, Worpel, Amon

HF: Greene, Koschitzke, Wingard

F: Breust, Reeves, Moore

R: Meek, Newcombe, Stephens

INT: Morrison, Impey, C.MacDonald, Maginness, McKenzie

I think McKenzie will play, Stephens would have to be a chance to make his club debut.

Greene will play either way. He wasn’t really competing with Lewis. His main competition for that half forward spot was always going to be Serong.

I've got Ward in that side.

Bramble, Nash, Butler/ Brocky also pushing for a spot.

Otherwise, looks solid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ward over Worpel, Stephens or Morrison. Maybe Nash over one of the three too.

I believe Mitchell won’t just pick another tall just because an injury to Lewis, I could see us playing small with the second ruck just trying to bring the ball down to ground level.
I wouldn’t be surprised if all of Kosi, Jeka and Greene don’t play round 1.

We have shown at the draft/trade period that we are trying to bring in quality young players at the expense of experience.

I think all of Stephens, Weddle, McKenzie potentially play round 1 and Wards injury won’t keep him out either.
Some familiar faces will surely miss out.

Wouldn’t be surprised if frost plays over DGB to give us a bit more flexibility in moving other players up the ground and experience with Lewis out.

Also Day, scrim and CJ have rarely been fit at same time - reckon impey misses in place of a mid.

Also reckon Jai, Nash and ward are ahead of worpel and stephens in the pecking order (but subject to rest of preseason) - worpel/stephens possibly fighting for one spot. But maybe this doesn’t matter given we’ve lost Mitchell and JOM - possibly can accomodate all.

How’s Greene been going over preseason? He’s been sort of assumed as a lock based on vfl form but still may have a way to go. Serong has some talent.

Reckon we’ll also try to squeeze in butler - we seem to rate him highly.

Hardwick Blanck Frost
CJ Sicily Scrim
Day Nash Amon
Moore Kosi Wingard
Breust Reeves MacDonald
Meek Jai Ward
I: Maginness, Stephens, Greene/Serong, Butler, Mackenzie

Realistic Rd 1 squad:

Injured: Lewis + 3 more

Backs: 7 from DGB, Blanck, Sicily, Frost, Hardwick, Morrison, Jiath, Morris, Bramble.

Rucks / mids: 9 from Meek, Newcombe, Day, C. McDonald, Amon, Worpel, Ward, Maginness, Nash, Stephens, C. Mackenzie.

Forwards: 7 from Reeves, Scrimshaw, Kozi, Breust, Moore, Impey, Wingard, Greene, Jeka.

That’s 29 players (Lewis missing) and probably 3 more to get injured leaving a 26 man squad from the above names.

I'd say Kosi is the first magnet on the board.
We need tall representation, especially hitting up on the wings for the fwd line connection.

Sam has proven that he prefers 2 designated tall fwds each week. That won't change.
Jesus, I'll accept him playing but first magnet?

Wouldn’t be surprised if frost plays over DGB to give us a bit more flexibility in moving other players up the ground and experience with Lewis out.

Also Day, scrim and CJ have rarely been fit at same time - reckon impey misses in place of a mid.

Also reckon Jai, Nash and ward are ahead of worpel and stephens in the pecking order (but subject to rest of preseason) - worpel/stephens possibly fighting for one spot. But maybe this doesn’t matter given we’ve lost Mitchell and JOM - possibly can accomodate all.

How’s Greene been going over preseason? He’s been sort of assumed as a lock based on vfl form but still may have a way to go. Serong has some talent.

Reckon we’ll also try to squeeze in butler - we seem to rate him highly.

Hardwick Blanck Frost
CJ Sicily Scrim
Day Nash Amon
Moore Kosi Wingard
Breust Reeves MacDonald
Meek Jai Ward
I: Maginness, Stephens, Greene/Serong, Butler, Mackenzie

Sam's already said how important Worpel is mate. Very much seems Sam has taken it upon himself to get Worps back to his Crimmins winning best. Talk is Worps is flying too.

In short, he's a lock rd 1. The best of Worpel next to Newcombe and Ward at a minimum is huge for us.

Last edited:
Sam's already said how important Worpel is mate. Very much seems Sam has taken it upon himself to get Worps back to his Crimmins winning best. Talk is Worps is flying too.

In short, he's a lock rd 1. The best of Worpel next to Newcombe and Ward at a minimum is huge for us.
The same worpel he dropped a few times last year and coming off major shoulder injury? Everyone is flying this time of year. And Sam supposedly loves everyone. Yes he wants worpel in form but the same goes for nash, stephens, Ward, Jai etc. Don’t mix the positive media stories for actual team selection.

The same worpel he dropped a few times last year and coming off major shoulder injury? Everyone is flying this time of year. And Sam supposedly loves everyone. Yes he wants worpel in form but the same goes for nash, stephens, Ward, Jai etc. Don’t mix the positive media stories for actual team selection.
Agree. He'll pick on form in the scratch matches. We've got Geel and Coll.
Both games are essentially r1 auditions for half the team.

I'd have Ward over Stephens.

Apart from that pretty solid team 👍

I’d have Ward over Worpel as well, but Ward is injured though isn’t he? I remember reading something about a groin injury not too long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back