Preview Round 19, 2023 : Richmond v Hawthorn, 1:45pm 22nd July, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monky rucked in the VFL / AFL from 1988 to 2000. Back then, ruckmen took the tap and then once the ball went forward, sat a kick behind the play and let a deep forward take the taps.

When the opposition had possession big guys like Monky would simply run the corridor and get back to sit in the hole.

Very simple around the ground movement.

No doubt he knows a thing or two about ruck craft at stoppages, but Monky was hardly an elite runner, nor was he particularly effective when the ball was in transition.

So - given Reeves glaring RFI - Monky was not a great mentor for a ruck who needs to get on his bike to do more around the ground.

If he advocated for us to sign Ned, I dare say it was due to his potential as a tap ruckman, not a mobile marking utility (which we miss badly with McEvoy retiring).
I worry about you mate.

The 2 players to go out have to be Greene and Meek. Expecting Greene is injured but even if not we can’t play Breust wingard Greene especially against Richmond. I think butler for Greene we need more speed and pressure and I think this is a Kozi game. They have seasoned tough defenders I wouldn’t want to see ramsden or Ryan thrown to the wolves. Kozi will give a contest and a ruck chop out at least. Mitchell comes in probably for DGB and I would move scrimshaw to sub.
Edit: Finn surely goes to taranto he’s not a good matchup for bolton Martin or Rioli they are too elusive. He can start on a wing or flank then come in and take Taranto post centre bounce. It’s a perfect matchup.

Last edited:

Hawthorn top players by CBA (Centre Bounces Attended) % in 2021 (Over 10 games played):

Jaeger - 72.9%
Mitchell - 70.3%
Ceglar - 61.3%
Worpel - 58%
McEvoy - 49%

Top players by CBA % in 2023:

Nash - 69.1%
Newc - 68.3%
Worp - 64.1%
Reeves 61.7%
Day - 59.9%

Outside of Worpel, it's a completely different unit. We're definitely still rebuilding, need to give these lads some genuine time together before starting fresh with the midfield game plan.

100 percent, these guys are in there to learn on the job.

Some peeps forgetting how it all came together for us a decade and a half ago, and that young players need time to blossom before they get to their mature performance levels.

Hawthorn top players by CBA (Centre Bounces Attended) % in 2021 (Over 10 games played):

Jaeger - 72.9%
Mitchell - 70.3%
Ceglar - 61.3%
Worpel - 58%
McEvoy - 49%

Top players by CBA % in 2023:

Nash - 69.1%
Newc - 68.3%
Worp - 64.1%
Reeves 61.7%
Day - 59.9%

Outside of Worpel, it's a completely different unit. We're definitely still rebuilding, need to give these lads some genuine time together before starting fresh with the midfield game plan.

2021 wins - 7
2023 wins with 6 games left after starting wooden spoon favourites- 5

Sam Mitchell has done a tremendous job.

Reckon we'll see the following ins for this weekend:
DGB, Shammy and Blanck
Outs - Ferg and Meek
Finn to go to Rioli and play as a negating half forward
Yep this seems pretty much spot on.

It's quite a strong side relative to some of our other 22s.

Do we go full steam for the last month and try to gain some momentum for next season? Or do we give some blokes without a contract a shot and rest some banged up players like Amon/Worpel?

Bit of both, I imagine.

ROUND 19 TEAM

Richmond vs Hawthorn
Saturday 22 July
MCG, 1.45pm

B:
Jarman Impey, Sam Frost, James Sicily
HB: Jack Scrimshaw, Blake Hardwick, Will Day
C: Karl Amon, Dylan Moore, Josh Weddle
HF: Connor Macdonald, Conor Nash, James Worpel
F: Chad Wingard, Mitch Lewis, Luke Breust
R: Ned Reeves, Jai Newcombe, Finn Maginness
INT: Seamus Mitchell, Josh Ward, Tyler Brockman, Denver Grainger-Barras

Emer: Ned Long, Lloyd Meek, Cooper Stephens, Jai Serong.

In: Denver Grainger-Barras, Seamus Mitchell
Out: Fergus Greene (injured), Lloyd Meek (Omitted)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep this seems pretty much spot on.

It's quite a strong side relative to some of our other 22s.

Do we go full steam for the last month and try to gain some momentum for next season? Or do we give some blokes without a contract a shot and rest some banged up players like Amon/Worpel?

Bit of both, I imagine.
Send anyone good to the vfl so they qualify for finals!

ROUND 19 TEAM

Richmond vs Hawthorn
Saturday 22 July
MCG, 1.45pm

B:

Denver or Frost to pinch hit in the ruck?

Frost wasn't actually bad as a back up, and with Sicily back it could work
Yep, I think it will be Frost. Richmond have a very small forward line. Scrimshaw could play on Riewoldt, Sicily on the resting ruck floating off, and Weddle another one that can be used down there.

The reason we have dropped the second ruck is because of the forward half structure (the second ruck not impacting when resting forward), so it would be bizarre if Denver doesn't play full time in the forward half.

Yep, I think it will be Frost. Richmond have a very small forward line. Scrimshaw could play on Riewoldt, Sicily on the resting ruck floating off, and Weddle another one that can be used down there.

The reason we have dropped the second ruck is because of the forward half structure (the second ruck not impacting when resting forward), so it would be bizarre if Denver doesn't play full time in the forward half.
Wouldn’t want Scrimshaw one on one with Riewoldt, prefer Sicily or Frost on him. Not sure why Blanck wasn’t a recall, could learn a thing or two playing on Riewoldt who still has a trick or two up his sleeve.

Spot on with the team selection.
I can live with Frost based off last wk. Blanck is stiff perhaps no match-up.
DGB will play forward.
Is Serong a sneaky chance for sub or the extra midfielder in Long / Stephens?

ROUND 19 TEAM

Richmond vs Hawthorn
Saturday 22 July
MCG, 1.45pm

B:

Good to see Serong as an emergency and not far off from selection. He’s having an exceptional month in the VFL playing as a key defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back