Unofficial Preview Best 22! Who’s in the team Round 1, 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spot on. All ligament injuries are graded 1, 2 or 3.

They all involve damage of different severity to the ligament.

A complete rupture / snap is grade 3 and almost inevitably requires reconstructive surgery.

Grade 2 is an in incomplete tear with moderate pain/swelling.

Grade 1 is stretching/straining of the ligament…..often with a small tear.

Hopefully Lewis’ injury is more a grade 1 than 2. If so, then it’s 6-8 weeks. If it’s grade 2, that’s usually 3 months.

The fact they’ve ready ruled him out for Rd 1 suggests it could be closer to grade 2. 😬
I have a different take on it. He is reported to have 'completed the session before reporting pain the following day' suggests to me it's at the more minor end of the spectrum. Fingers crossed.

I'd thought Greene was a lock for our best 22 after his recruitment and Gunston leaving.

That's been even further reaffirmed with this Lewis news.

Frost - Blanck - Hardwick
CJ - Sicily - Scrim
Amon - Worpel - Day
Moore - Greene - Wingard
Meek - Kosi - Breust
R: Reeves - Newcombe - Stephens
I: Nash - Ward - Morrison - McDonald
Sub: Finn

Not sure that Impey is a walk-up starter anymore and doesn't currently make my best 22.

What a great dilemma we have. I cant argue with your side Millsie, but I think Impey, Morris and Brocky or Butler may just get a gig. No idea who I take out to fit them in though.

I do agree Green looks a good chance, particularly with Lewis out

Have we discussed how we might use the now tactical sub?

In the previous sub era we often subbed out a ruck for a runner if no injuries. But of course that was a strategy to win games and compete at the top.
With less emphasis on winning might we routinely use it to try 2 players in the one spot?

Would it still be a runner to replace a tall?
Would it be a way to just add another in the midfield rotations?
Would it be a debutante - given they will play probably unlike the Downie discussion
Would it be the same player each week, or rotating each week - or same player block of 4-5 games?

I will die on the hill that CJ should be named forward, he would fundamentally change our whole forward structure, we have more then enough cover down back for him to start and stay forward this year.

Then his our perfect swing player and barometer across the ground

I will die on the hill that CJ should be named forward, he would fundamentally change our whole forward structure, we have more then enough cover down back for him to start and stay forward this year.

Pretty sure he was tried as a forward when first arriving at the club & it didn't work.

He looks absolutely lost with his back to our goals. Plus makes little use of one of his best attributes which is his line breaking.

Agree. I also put Will Day in that Category. Both would be fantastic for us up forward.

Pretty sure he was tried as a forward when first arriving at the club & it didn't work.
Yeah but I think during his first year playing semi regular in 2020 I think it was he really did look lost out there. Seemed to have no awareness and totally chaotic. He's not the same player since then, he really did turn it around within 12 months and now looks like one our most exciting players. I love him off half back but I don't see any harm in trying him in the forward line. Nothing to lose really.

Pretty sure Topiary mentioned late last season the club was interested in Scrimshaw playing forward in 2023.

I can't remember the exact game late in the season, but I do remember him kicking two goals after half time when swung forward.

CJ by all reports has been dominant in pre-season across half-back. We're not moving him and his line breaking ability. He's going to play 200 games across half-back and has every chance of being absolutely elite there.

Day could play forward, but it seems he's been training with the midfield over pre-season and this is where the club sees him long-term.

Sicily really is the clear best option on our list to play key forward after Lewis. But he's also arguably the best key defender in the game.

Jeka is an interesting one. He's probably only still on the list because he was swung back. But really, with our list, this is his best opportunity to make it. I'd be giving him first opportunity next to Kosi.

We will find out plenty about Kosi long term early in the season.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I
When he first arrived he wasn’t suited anywhere, his dramatically improved in everything
Totally. Easier to teach a guy how to play by sticking him behind the ball.
I could really see him switching between def and as a smaller lead up fwd.
Starting on the goal line, with his speed and vertical leap he would be a handful for any defender in the league.

Greene is a prototype 3rd fwd. But he might work in a combination with the resting ruck and another key forward. I still think Kozi can play that role, just needs a bit of confidence.
Put Bruest, Butler and Brockman in there for balance.
Green is even smaller than Gunston, so there's no way he will be playing as a CHF for us.

Day could play forward, but it seems he's been training with the midfield over pre-season and this is where the club sees him long-term.

Sicily really is the clear best option on our list to play key forward after Lewis. But he's also arguably the best key defender in the game.
I agree that Day could play forward of Centre, but he'd be better up the ground (high HF) than deep, IMO. He has the smarts & aerial ability to beat or turn his opponent in the contest & a nice long kick to deliver inside F50m.

Completely disagree that Sicily is an option to play KPF, let alone the "clear best option". He's great at outmarking others that are also trying to mark the ball (i.e. a Foward), but there's very few Defenders that'll stand & try to outmark Sicily when all they need do is punch, especially when they'll have 2-3 inches on him. Then there's 'floating Defenders' to cut him off or the '3rd Man Up'...

I just don't think he's a KPF & his greatest assets would be nullified & wasted there.

He's never shown forward craft & doesn't really display the traits now 🤷‍♂️
Hence why I’m dying on this hill, turning 24, fit, stronger and understands the game, he would dominate as a roaming forward with a license to run, who would stop him?

Would win a lot of frees with how hard he goes at the ball to

I agree that Day could play forward of Centre, but he'd be better up the ground (high HF) than deep, IMO. He has the smarts & aerial ability to beat or turn his opponent in the contest & a nice long kick to deliver inside F50m.

Completely disagree that Sicily is an option to play KPF, let alone the "clear best option". He's great at outmarking others that are also trying to mark the ball (i.e. a Foward), but there's very few Defenders that'll stand & try to outmark Sicily when all they need do is punch, especially when they'll have 2-3 inches on him. Then there's 'floating Defenders' to cut him off or the '3rd Man Up'...

I just don't think he's a KPF & his greatest assets would be nullified & wasted there.

Regarding Sicily, it's really saying more about our available options. Let's not forget he kicked 30 goals in his third season.

The guys a dead set gun. He'd figure it out. If he played forward all year I'm confident he'd kick 40. I certainly couldn't say the same for Kosi, Jeka, Greene or anyone else.

But I'm not suggesting we move him, nor do i think we would.

Hence why I’m dying on this hill, turning 24, fit, stronger and understands the game, he would dominate as a roaming forward with a license to run, who would stop him?

Would win a lot of frees with how hard he goes at the ball to
Who would stop him?
A lockdown Defender that plays goalside of him.

His best is when the game/space is in front of him.

We're stuck with Kozi and a resting ruck. Let's face it.
We've gotta hope a Greene or a Serong can turn into another option.
I think Reeves has 2x scoring shots a week in him, but I kinda make that assumption with Lewis on the park.

There should be very few instances where he's outmarked so we need to capitalise on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back