Autopsy Round 23, 2018: Hawks defeat swans! Top 4 ******s!

Remove this Banner Ad

Aside from the marvellous umpiring exhibition on display, I'd like to address the channel 7 broadcast. What is it with them that they will highlight multiple times anything that makes it look like Hawthorn got a favourable call but anything questionable Sydney did is not replayed at all. This was most obvious when Heeney took that dubious mark at the 50m line and took the ball to ground. Despite a throw in from oob less than a minute later, no replay, which signifies to me he definitely did not mark that ball. I have no doubt that if roles were reversed, a Hawks dubious mark would be scrutinised no end.

Cheers for that channel 7 but enough is enough. I'll put up with you as a football broadcaster as I have no choice, but as a consequence I will turn off just about all other programming you put on as my own silent protest to your bias.

Yep. That's what I like to hear. They are not worth wasting our precious time.

Conor Nash ran at 35.3 KMPH.... which puts him equal 8th for the highest speed ever recorded in AFL records (i think they began in 2017).

Nice!

He also ran 2.3k at high speed... 3rd in the match
He had 25 sprint efforts.....1st in the match
I can’t wait to see him use some of this aggression/size/pace to burst out of congestion.

A few times last night he won the ball quite well, only to pop a <1m handball to a flat-footed (or someone in worse position) mate. I can’t wait to see him win said ball, burst from a pack & hit a team-mate with a handball as they belt by at pace.

I guess that kind of confidence can’t be expected until his 5th-6th game!

We’re the ‘Form Team’ of the competition!

After Essendon....
And Geelong...
And Richmond...
And Collingwood...
Oh, and GWS & Melbourne...
And Eagles, at home...

But after those teams, we’re right up there with Port & North!
Two wins from glory

That was so brilliant! I reckoned I could here the Swans player's fillings rattle from here!
I think the people most rattled were the umpires. After that tackle they were in collective shock and forgot what they were told to do.

Jesus you lot love a good sook.

Things could not be better for us right now given expectations 6 months ago. A full list, a great record at the G, a good mix of triple premiership players and youngsters who have had the perfect preparation the past month, Clarko....

Yet this thread is full of complaints. About the 7 coverage, about everyone getting more attention than us, about the umpiring.... Chin up folks, focus on the positives, there are heaps!

Come on. Parker and Buddy as late outs to add to Reid, Smith and Mills who would be in their 22 and some depth on top of that (Melican, Johnson, Naismith). We are missing Sicily, Frawley and maybe Ceglar from our best 22, Birchall will not and should not play this year.

They are currently harder hit than we are. No question.

Not everything needs to be a pissing contest. We should get our 3 outs back too so we are heading to finals with almost a perfect bill of health. Its awesome

So we can't claim Birch as an out for our best 22 but Sydney can claim someone who hadn't played footy for 6 years?

First half he was.. 100% being outdone, then as the master does he adjusted, made some quality moves, bringing Silk around the ball and directing the lads to hold possession.

No harm in saying he was getting done and then turned it around.

Possible too that the boys got a slow start and were doing a crappy job of executing a perfectly good coaches plan, right?
;)

Sometimes it's the players fault they make the game plan look ordinary, but a good coach will recognize that and give them a new style they might make better hash of.
In soccer the coach will be said to have 'changed the formation'.
In footy, he's a nuffie getting outcoached until he finally finds his senses and starts coaching.:p

Feel bad for savagelunch, he's only comfortable coming on when there's a chance to pot Clarko and his crappy game plans....

So we can't claim Birch as an out for our best 22 but Sydney can claim someone who hadn't played footy for 6 years?

I dunno man, who cares. Are Sydney 'claiming' anything?! It isn't a knock on our club to admit they had bigger outs than us.... Dismissing the late outs of Parker and Buddy is ridiculous, those guys had been red hot and the driving force behind their run to the finals.

I didn't include Johnson with Buddy, Parker, Mills, Smith and Reid anyway so your 'point' is moot.

okay we gotta all hope GWS win or the dees will bypass us.. their percentage is much better than ours
assume someone has set your mind at ease on this but if not, we are 2 games clear of the Dees. They are merely jostling for a chance to put the cats out in the first elim final.

Come on. Parker and Buddy as late outs to add to Reid, Smith and Mills who would be in their 22 and some depth on top of that (Melican, Johnson, Naismith). We are missing Sicily, Frawley and maybe Ceglar from our best 22, Birchall will not and should not play this year.

They are currently harder hit than we are. No question.

Not everything needs to be a pissing contest. We should get our 3 outs back too so we are heading to finals with almost a perfect bill of health. Its awesome

No where in my post did I mention Ceglar or Birchall and it has nothing to do with it being a pissing contest as you so eloquently put it, but if you are constantly going to commentate the “late” outs (we all knew that they weren’t playing all week) then at least acknowledge that our number one defender was missing - a defender by the way that’s had buddy’s measure for years.

I’ve found it amusing that you as well as Sydney supporters have included Johnson in their outs, he played one game. Why don’t we add Junior to our list while we are at it. You also missed Howe.

I get that you try to be balanced but in this case when the rhetoric is “buddy and Parker, swans win” then I would suggest you are wrong in not acknowledging Frawley being a big out.

The circle jerking of Heeney all night was cringe worthy - not mention the free kicks he got whenever he got near the ball!

Funnily enough he did f all in the second half whilst Harry stepped up with the play of the night.

We won, I’m happy yet still fuming with the cheating umpires and the channel 7 swans cheer squad.

Are they really that jealous and resentful of us?????

What about Chief big mouth shortarse's cameo near the end of the game. Hawthorn's kick on goal was clearly touched for all to see. But the previous named fool has to call for a replay to confirm if the ball was touched.

That action alone sums up this fools personality and bias.
Firstly the ego rush to see himself on the big screen. That alone makes him unfit to umpire.
Secondly where was he when Hardwick clearly touched the ball that was paid as a goal to sydney (capital deliberated ignored). Despite protests he could not get to the centre quick enough to bounce the ball. Another example of his bias and incompetence.

NO, this man is not a fool he is just well paid. And who did he have his money on to kick the first goal. Some nondescript sydney player that he paid a fee kick to for some imaginary reason in front of goals.

Rioli has retired and Birchall shouldn't play this year.

You are kidding yourself if you think our outs last night were comparable to theirs, arguably before their best two players for form over the past month pulled out last minute. Parker and Buddy almost won them the game single handed last week in the 4th quarter.

There are swans fans who will moan about injuries, there are hawks fans who will moan about umpiring, both are just luck of the draw and in the end, the result doesn't change. We won. **** yeah.
I think you completely missed the point of my post.

It’s all hypotheticals. If Buddy had of played It doesn’t mean they would have won. I actually think we play better against them when he plays due to their predictability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My wife is an (avid) Collingwood sympathiser and was desperate to play Richmond in the first week of finals.
Before the Coll/Freo game I told her she needed a close win against Freo and Hawks to win by a bit more than what they won by.

She was adamant half way through the last that Coll had blown a top 4 spot. But as it turned out, a 10 point win was a good result for Coll. After the Coll game I told her she needed Hawks to beat Syd by at least 13 points.

She was devo this morning when she woke up this morning and I told her Hawks by 8.

Off to Perth you go (most likely)

Just watching the replay on Fox Footy now. There hasn't been any commentary at all since I turned it on at 17 left in the 3rd and now still none with 6 mins left in the qtr, was this a thing last night on the broadcast too? Or have Fox Footy stripped it.

Possible too that the boys got a slow start and were doing a crappy job of executing a perfectly good coaches plan, right?
;)

Sometimes it's the players fault they make the game plan look ordinary, but a good coach will recognize that and give them a new style they might make better hash of.
In soccer the coach will be said to have 'changed the formation'.
In footy, he's a nuffie getting outcoached until he finally finds his senses and starts coaching.:p

Feel bad for savagelunch, he's only comfortable coming on when there's a chance to pot Clarko and his crappy game plans....

Maybe it was a combo of things, but Clarko definitely changed a lot at the main break. He actually released Titch by giving him spells at half forward, he willed Ruff into the game by giving him prolonged runs in the midfield as a ruckman, he purposely had Silk play more around the coal face, also Silk spent a lot more time on the field this week. We also saw the boys possess the footy, and when we countered the clear directive was to go direct and long with momentum and/or hold the footy and control the speed of the game.

The boys definitely lifted, but I think the coaching staff also earnt their money this week just about more than any other game this year.

I think you completely missed the point of my post.

It’s all hypotheticals. If Buddy had of played It doesn’t mean they would have won. I actually think we play better against them when he plays due to their predictability.

Sounds like I did, sorry.

I know it all hypotheticals. I commented to point out that our outs were not comparable to Sydney's.

Yes, I forgot that one.

You can tell my Hardwick's initial reaction that be clearly believed he touched it and pleaded for it to be reviewed.

But no. Not for Hawthorn. It is ignored and not reviewed.

The video review was supposedly brought it for that very contentious reason and clearly showed that it touched his fingers!

But no review for Hawthorn.

Abolish the concept then because do you think if it were a Swans player it would have been referred to the so called video referee? Mmm.... I wonder...

The AFL did not want us to win, plain and simple and the umpires tried their very best to try and make this happen but not to be... hee...hee...

All goals are automatically reviewed. Hence the delay before the ball was bounced. There was not enough on the video replay to overturn the goal umpires decision.

Nash's chase down of two Swans defenders early in the fourth quarter to set up Puopolo was brilliant as well. What an athlete we have.

Just watching the replay on Fox Footy now. There hasn't been any commentary at all since I turned it on at 17 left in the 3rd and now still none with 6 mins left in the qtr, was this a thing last night on the broadcast too? Or have Fox Footy stripped it.

Been fine for me.

No where in my post did I mention Ceglar or Birchall and it has nothing to do with it being a pissing contest as you so eloquently put it, but if you are constantly going to commentate the “late” outs (we all knew that they weren’t playing all week) then at least acknowledge that our number one defender was missing - a defender by the way that’s had buddy’s measure for years.

I’ve found it amusing that you as well as Sydney supporters have included Johnson in their outs, he played one game. Why don’t we add Junior to our list while we are at it. You also missed Howe.

I get that you try to be balanced but in this case when the rhetoric is “buddy and Parker, swans win” then I would suggest you are wrong in not acknowledging Frawley being a big out.

I think we are both misunderstanding what the other means.

I never said "buddy and parker in, swans win". Im objective but Im not stupid.

Play on.

It’s a shame that’s not how it is every week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back