Certified Legendary Thread Keep North South - Eugene pays us a visit

Remove this Banner Ad

I still feel so angry at the way the NM board/admin treated the members at the time this was all being cooked up behind the scenes; the way Duff appeared to blatantly lie to supporters at a so-called ‘information’ :rolleyes: session prior to a game at Etihad (or whatever the stadium was called then) and told us to remove the ‘relocation’ word from our vocabulary, the way Aylett and co. refused to let members speak or ask any questions at the AGM, Rick Aylett’s ‘time will tell’ comment etc. If they thought the situation was so dire that they couldn’t salvage it then surely they should have moved aside earlier and let more competent people take control. It still staggers me that people were of the opinion that the North Melbourne Football Club could remain the North Melbourne Football Club on the Gold Coast. That would not in any way, shape or form have been the same club.

To a certain extent the administration needs to be detached from the supporters because supporters are highly emotional and that doesn't always make for great decision making nor productive communication.

That being said, it is not just immoral to maliciously deceive shareholders at an AGM, it is a crime. Fraud can result in a prison sentence of up to 10 years and given certain parties were looking at a financial windfall from a potential move, they should consider themselves fortunate that the members didn't file criminal complaints with the police.

I also suspected that they were most likely to be the loose lips feeding information to Caro, Smith and the like who drummed up negative hit piece after negative hit piece. How Caro is afforded the luxury of being the voice of reason in this documentary is almost as surprising, I found her actions to be more contemptible than that of the AFL given she obviously knew the source of the leaks.

At least Smith, when presented with another opinion and another take on the "facts" actually went up to the Gold Coast and made some sort of half-arsed attempt to do some investigative journalism and came out the other end thinking moving there was a ridiculously bad idea.

But, anyway, I have let that go. When I kick the bucket, I leave this world with a clear conscious, a lot more than some of the people trusted to be caretakers of the club can say without being pathological liars.

De Rauch, Scanlon and Ansett. Talk about “White Knights”! With people of their ilk and resources in our corner, we were never moving an inch.

Only De Rauch & Ansett never put conditions on there contributions.

To a certain extent the administration needs to be detached from the supporters because supporters are highly emotional and that doesn't always make for great decision making nor productive communication.

That being said, it is not just immoral to maliciously deceive shareholders at an AGM, it is a crime. Fraud can result in a prison sentence of up to 10 years and given certain parties were looking at a financial windfall from a potential move, they should consider themselves fortunate that the members didn't file criminal complaints with the police.

I also suspected that they were most likely to be the loose lips feeding information to Caro, Smith and the like who drummed up negative hit piece after negative hit piece. How Caro is afforded the luxury of being the voice of reason in this documentary is almost as surprising, I found her actions to be more contemptible than that of the AFL given she obviously knew the source of the leaks.

At least Smith, when presented with another opinion and another take on the "facts" actually went up to the Gold Coast and made some sort of half-arsed attempt to do some investigative journalism and came out the other end thinking moving there was a ridiculously bad idea.

But, anyway, I have let that go. When I kick the bucket, I leave this world with a clear conscious, a lot more than some of the people trusted to be caretakers of the club can say without being pathological liars.

Agree with everything you said except the Caro part. What are you saying here? Caro was clearly being briefed by the AFL Chairman and CEO, and probably by the NMFC Chairman. She reported that NMFC was headed to the Gold Coast based on that information. Nobody did more to inform the members of that truth than Caro. There was a tremendous amount of denial from many supporters about what she was reporting, but it was all true at that point in time. I still don't get why anyone disputes that the majority of the board was planning to relocate. History shows that this was 100% the case.

Only De Rauch & Ansett never put conditions on there contributions.

I love Peter but there are plenty of anecdotes surrounding conditions that he placed upon his contribution. The most famous being the directors chair out on the ground in the 96 Grand Final.

I'd still watch footy. My bro is Collingwood, best mates are Richmond and St Kilda, few of the boys at work are WB. Probably go to 3-4 games a year and watch those teams.

This is interesting hearing about supposed conditions that Peter Scanlin had.

I mean... really?

Are we taking some veiled shots at someone because he wasn't holy enough as he slayed the demons?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with everything you said except the Caro part. What are you saying here? Caro was clearly being briefed by the AFL Chairman and CEO, and probably by the NMFC Chairman. She reported that NMFC was headed to the Gold Coast based on that information. Nobody did more to inform the members of that truth than Caro. There was a tremendous amount of denial from many supporters about what she was reporting, but it was all true at that point in time. I still don't get why anyone disputes that the majority of the board was planning to relocate. History shows that this was 100% the case.

I am not sure if that archive of articles still exists, but she wasn't warning the supporters of an impending crisis, although that is what we saw it to be.

Her role was that of propaganda, in a psychological war, demoralisation was often sown into the enemy to break them down so you can achieve victory either without having to fight at all or to minimise the effort required for victory. It is why the AFL targeted Archer. Imagine the crushing blow that would have been Archer saying we should go.

It was bad enough that King never realised the dupe that he had become or how much of a betrayal it basically was to keep pushing the line that we should have gone. It greatly disrespected everything everyone associated with the club had invested in him over the years, both directly and indirectly. It is why whenever any thing happened, the media would roll out the same bunch of doomsayer Galahs to parrot the same negative bullshit. When the GFC hit with full force and the white knights (which I wasn't in favour of anyway) evaporated, these snipers and turncoats were still trying to undermine the club long after the decision was done and the course irreversible.

I think you have a very generous recollection of her part in it all.

I am not sure if that archive of articles still exists, but she wasn't warning the supporters of an impending crisis, although that is what we saw it to be.

Her role was that of propaganda, in a psychological war, demoralisation was often sown into the enemy to break them down so you can achieve victory either without having to fight at all or to minimise the effort required for victory. It is why the AFL targeted Archer. Imagine the crushing blow that would have been Archer saying we should go.

It was bad enough that King never realised the dupe that he had become or how much of a betrayal it basically was to keep pushing the line that we should have gone. It greatly disrespected everything everyone associated with the club had invested in him over the years, both directly and indirectly. It is why whenever any thing happened, the media would roll out the same bunch of doomsayer Galahs to parrot the same negative bullshit. When the GFC hit with full force and the white knights (which I wasn't in favour of anyway) evaporated, these snipers and turncoats were still trying to undermine the club long after the decision was done and the course irreversible.

Maybe I am too generous to Caro but I just don't feel animosity towards those who came out on the wrong side. I'd rather celebrate the win than waste time or energy focussing on the losers.

Also, if anyone is qualified to sook about "fake news" that is most probably true, then it is surely me - Jabba the Trump.

Agree. Caro, as per her admission in the doco, knew she was being briefed by the AFL as a form of propaganda. Lets make that very clear. She knew, and she complied while very aware of what she was doing.

And if you believe that is what a journalist if meant to do - ignore truths and promote discord to suite other peoples agendas so long as it increased your own standing, improved relationships with those in power, and ultimately opened doors for you that might otherwise be closed... then she was a fantastic journalist.

I can’t actually believe how close we came to being relocated. I dont think I would’ve been able to support that team. Would you?

Initially probably not

But then you look at Fitzroy and within 10 years the Lions had 3 Flags

Sydney been in Finals every year

But then look at Fremantle

So probably I don’t know

Was only able to watch this tonight - fantastic memories. That night at Dallas Brooks Hall will remain with me forever - the trepidation, passion and utter joy when the decision to stay was announced... I even got to ask one of the questions in the Q&A session. The only thing missing from the doco was the crowd chanting at Patrick Smith - but good on him for having the guts to turn up.

Love this photo from the steps - I've got the "North Melbourne. Our Native Land" sign on one side of TJ's head, and my son is on the other side of his head. So glad I took him along to witness history in the making.

full

Thanks to all those on the forum who invested their time, money and effort into the battle of 2007 - legends, all of you.

I’ve always thought this was the hottest bit of info I’d heard about the relocation push and since we’re all in a sharing mood... but I was told (by someone who would know) that when the board signed up to the 3 years/10 games Gold Coast deal, it verbally agreed with the AFL that it’d relocate at the end of it.

We were enormously f***ed.

We are extremely lucky we have our club today.

Imagine swapping seeing Waitey hitting the post with his last kick in AFL for the enormous soul-weakening grossness of instead seeing highlights of a team playing in front of 30 people on the Gold Coast wearing our f***ing colours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back