AFLW 2018 - go you Crow girls!

How excited are you to to follow the AFLW in 2018?

• Maximal anticipation, Can't bloody wait - back-to-back, yeah baby!

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Excited and eager to see the girls defend their title!

Votes: 35 33.3%
  • Excited enough to see some footy action

Votes: 12 11.4%
  • Neutral - likely will watch some games, not bothered if I have other things to do on the day

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Negative Nellie - just can't get any excitement, even if watching girls kicking some balls

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • Strongly opposed to AFLW - bring back State of Origin instead..or AFLX..I only want to see men!

Votes: 4 3.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Within a gender there is never an even playing field. I play against women who are taller, stronger, faster, slower, and shorter etc than me, and most of them are a lot more sporting talented. Sometimes I have an advantage, sometimes I don't.

The AFL has been working with some very good people in the space regarding the requirements of measurements etc in respect to transgender sportspeople. It's one thing the AFL has gotten right.

As Hannah identifies as female, stop using a male pronoun. She is a woman and should be referred to as she. Some people don't and can't have access to hormone treatments until later in life or even at all because of social and/or medical issues.

Yes, you play against women. They were born as a woman and have never altered their generic make up with HGM, hormoneal manipulation or gender realignment. Thats what I mean by staying even.

He/she has an unfair advantage

AFL will not cut the amount of games. Too much money in having 22 rounds

2 groups of 9 play each other home and away - 16 games.
Play 6 teams in other conference once on rotation (so you play teams in the other conference twice in three seasons).

That keeps the 22 game season, and a rotation of who you play in the other conference.

Still not ideal but perhaps the best way to have an even spread of matches against teams.

I can see the AFLW ending up being two independent conferences once it expands to 14 teams next season. Not ideal, but it's the best we're going to get from the AFL while the AFLW remains a space filler in February/March.

She's been deemed ineligible I believe - not that there would be any guarantee a club would pick her up anyway.

Yeah, I misread a post and assumed someone else was the person in question.

My post was crude and crass and I do apologize for the words used but I still stand by my opinion that any manipulation of your gender or hormones makes you ineligible for that competitive.

She's been deemed ineligible I believe - not that there would be any guarantee a club would pick her up anyway.
She hasn't been deemed ineligible. The cutoff for testosterone has been set at a level she probably cannot meet, but if she could, she could play.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

2 groups of 9 play each other home and away - 16 games.
Play 6 teams in other conference once on rotation (so you play teams in the other conference twice in three seasons).

That keeps the 22 game season, and a rotation of who you play in the other conference.

Still not ideal but perhaps the best way to have an even spread of matches against teams.

I can see the AFLW ending up being two independent conferences once it expands to 14 teams next season. Not ideal, but it's the best we're going to get from the AFL while the AFLW remains a space filler in February/March.

Terrible idea. 22 games but you play 9 teams twice, 6 teams once and 3 teams you don't play at all

In three seasons you play 9 teams 6 times, and the other 9 teams only twice :drunk:

The AFL needs to get serious if they want the AFLW to be the elite women's league in the country. Trying to squeeze the season into a window where there's no need to bound it is crazy for starters. And using it as their test lab for rule changes puts it along side the JLT series as something not to be taken seriously.

Ok - we keep the status quo then

I like the idea of culling 4 financially underperforming teams (likely Gold Coast, North, St Kilda and Bulldogs) and lengthening the season to play everyone twice. 14 teams, 28 rounds

As for the AFLW, playing every other team once is the absolute minimum a serious league should implement, particularly when there's only 10 teams!

Yeah, I misread a post and assumed someone else was the person in question.

My post was crude and crass and I do apologize for the words used but I still stand by my opinion that any manipulation of your gender or hormones makes you ineligible for that competitive.

If you're interested there's a great podcast episode from Radiolab on the arbitrary way governing sport bodies have policed hormone levels https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/radiolab/id152249110?mt=2&i=1000416341095

I know a number of AFLW players who have played against Hannah and don't think her body size is a problem at all. They play against plenty of players who are CIS gendered who are bigger and most of them grew up playing against boys and young men. I feel for Hannah, it's a bloody awful position to be in.

The only thing i can think for the new season layout is one the tv broadcasters aren't playing ball with the amount of exposure the AFL wants. Obviously a balancing act more games but less tv exposure, or less games but more tv exposure?

Second is the period there playing during late summer a concern with health and safety, more games means pushing further into the summer meaning the girls are more regularly exposed the to heat?

Terrible idea. 22 games but you play 9 teams twice, 6 teams once and 3 teams you don't play at all

In three seasons you play 9 teams 6 times, and the other 9 teams only twice :drunk:

Exactly right. No one has ever explained how conferences are any fairer than our current 17 + 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2018-09-12/aflw-list-changes

Adelaide has made several changes to its AFLW list with ruck Jess Allan and forward Ruth Wallace released from their contracts and midfielder Sophie Li joining the Crows from Carlton.

19-year-old Allan, who was selected by the Crows at pick No.8 in the 2017 AFLW Draft, has informed the Club she will not be able to play for the 2019 season as she pursues her dream to join the Australian Army.

The younger sister of Crows premiership player Sarah Allan has accepted an Army position which requires her to complete three months of intensive training and doesn’t permit her to play on weekends.

Wallace, a former soccer player with Adelaide United who was selected by the Crows at pick No. 38 in the 2017 AFLW Draft, has decided to take some time away from the game for personal reasons.

The 25-year-old will be placed on the ‘inactive’ list with Allan and Adelaide will have first access to re-list both players should they wish to resume their AFLW careers in the future.

Originally from Adelaide, Li will join the Crows list as compensation for the loss of Wallace and Allan.

The 30-year-old is returning home to recommence her career as a paramedic for SA Ambulance.

Recognising her work circumstances, Carlton has released Li and will receive a round 4 draft pick (No. 42) in return.

The Crows will also receive a round 5 draft pick (No. 53) as compensation.

Crows 2019 AFLW list (22):

• Sarah Allan
  • Dayna Cox
  • Courtney Cramey
  • Angela Foley
  • Renee Forth
  • Anne Hatchard
  • Jasmyn Hewett
  • Eloise Jones
  • Sophie Li
  • Rheanne Lugg
  • Ebony Marinoff
  • Jenna McCormick
  • Rhiannon Metcalfe
  • Justine Mules
  • Sarah Perkins
  • Erin Phillips
  • Marijana Rajcic
  • Chelsea Randall
  • Sally Riley
  • Jess Sedunary
  • Stevie-Lee Thompson
  • Deni Varnhagen

Okay, okay, we get it Jimmy :p

We'll miss Wallace. I don't know the story about her cousin, what's that about? Hopefully she's getting the support she needs and will return in 2020.

Jess Allen was our backup ruck, right? I guess now we have to rely on Metcalfe staying fit. From memory it was the other Allen (Sarah?) that had a super season this year, right? Hope I have that the right way around!

I know nothing about Sophie Li, looks like she didn't play any games this year, in her first season. Looks like she's a small mid. Does anyone know why she was at Carlton anyway? She's an SA girl, right? And she was taken in the main draft. Don't the girls in AFLW nominate a state? Seems strange that she would nominate Victoria and then return home a year later.

She was a runner up in the Norwood women's B&F so presumably she was living (or at least playing) here prior to being drafted?

Will be missing Wallace and Jess Allan. Look like top talents who could blossom into anything! Hopefully they will be back with us bigger and better for the nearby future!

I know nothing about Sophie Li, looks like she didn't play any games this year, in her first season. Looks like she's a small mid. Does anyone know why she was at Carlton anyway? She's an SA girl, right? And she was taken in the main draft. Don't the girls in AFLW nominate a state? Seems strange that she would nominate Victoria and then return home a year later.

She was a runner up in the Norwood women's B&F so presumably she was living (or at least playing) here prior to being drafted?

Li played every game for Carlton this year. Small mid/forward. Born in Adelaide, played for Adelaide Uni and Norwood and was based at Murray Bridge for work as a paramedic.
I'd say she probably nominated for the Vic draft as Carlton showed most interest in drafting her, took leave from work for the time she had to be based over there and has since returned home and elected to stay.
Good pickup for us heading into 2019 season. I'll miss Ruth, hope she gets all the support she needs and is back with us soon.

Back