Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richmond finished 13th in 2016. Geelong finished 10th in 2006. Adelaide 12th in 1996.

Maybe we should have a crack in 2026-7?

Did they bring in one last player that made all the difference or improve as a whole?

Who was Richmond's big fish?

Great hyperbole btw

So we draft a mid then wait 2 -3 years for him to hit his straps by then guys like Hooker,Hurley,Heppel,Zaka etc would be heading towards retirement.

We won’t be pushing top 4 if we keep going to the draft we are in our premiership window and need to strike while the iron is hot imo.
Heppell isn't in that group, he is only 26

Do you seriously think we can't improve unless we bring a player in?

What happens if there are no A grade mids available to come to us? Do we just write the year off?

You are talking in absolutes and it's silly.
Agree with this.

Whilst it's a bit of the "Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda", had we beaten Carlton and one of each the Pies and Hawthorn, we'd be top 4.

If the right player is there for the taking and wants to come to Essendon, we should target him.

If no such player is there, there's no reason why we shouldn't take our pics to the draft.

Nankervis and Prestia also...

Not one big fish.

That's the fascination that's killing me. One player is not gonna propel us any great distance. Sure, an A grader will improve us, but it's not essential.

We have been building a good list and developing from within over the past two years at a rapid rate.

But apparently that's treading water.

At the end of the day, players like May and Wingard are a luxury in the sense that we already have players who can play those positions well.

Shiel is the only one i would consider trading for. If shiel wants to come to us, at a reasonable price (say <850k max) then i am all for it. Any more and we sacrifice future flexibility.

Otherwise there is no one else on the market presently that tickles my fancy. With one of Hately, Rozee/Rankine and (hopefully, my preference) Bailey Smith looking likely to slide to 8, i would bank that pick and run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think you can underestimate losing Watson, Hocking, Stanton, Bird and Howlett in a single off-season. That's nearly 900 games experience from a predominantly midfield group, which is a massive number when you consider that Heppell became the new 'old' head comfortably at 129 games. Take that amount of nous from any area of the ground and almost any team would struggle, even if they weren't all stars.

Last edited:
Not one big fish.

That's the fascination that's killing me. One player is not gonna propel us any great distance. Sure, an A grader will improve us, but it's not essential.

We have been building a good list and developing from within over the past two years at a rapid rate.

just don't engage jongy.

The straight faced bopping head guy who puts a gun to his head gif was made for the bullshit that's being spewed.

Not one big fish.

The only player I would argue that would have a significant impact in our midfield, is Parker. That being said, I don't think he's up for grabs anyway.

I'd personally be over the moon with something like the below:

1) Gaff via Free Agency (assuming WCE don't match)
2) Setterfield (or another young prospect inside mid) for a future pick
3) Recruit a top 10 player with this years first round pick

Would enable us to:
- Manage our Salary Cap and not pour all our currency into one player
- Leave us with picks to use at the draft (i.e. not be a Hawthorne)
- Potentially reduce disruption to the cohesion of the core team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back