1980 = 5th
1981 = 2nd
1990 = 2nd (won the flag)
2002 = 4th
2003 = 2nd
2010 = 1st (won the flag)
2011 = 1st
2018 = 3rd
No one would have batted an eyelid if Collingwood didn’t make the grand final in 02, 03 and 18.

1960 = Only kicked 2.2 that day. Melbourne clearly the superior team of that era having won in 55, 56, 57 and 59. Snuck into the top 4 on percentage and were probably lucky to get as far as we did.

1964 = Incredibly unlucky that an opposition back pocket player kicks the winning goal. Collingwood were the better team in the last quarter of that GF but just fell short again to a Melbourne side about to experience their last hurrah for decades to come.

1966 = One that got away. Minor premiers with a W-L record of 15-3 and a percentage of 157.2%. Beat the Saints twice during the course of the year (including a finals game), but a Barry Breen point sealed our fate.

1970 = Arguably Collingwood's best side since the "Machine Team" (1927-1930). Finished two games clear on top, beat Carlton three times in the season and led by 44 points at half time. The concussion of Peter McKenna (kicked six in the GF) just before half time courtesy of friendly fire from Des Tuddenham arguably changed the course of the game in a big way.

1977 = Tom Hafey's first year as coach after the Pies finished wooden spooners in 1976 (the first in our history). We finished minor premiers in 77. Most Collingwood supporters I know are adamant that the suspension of Phil Carman after hitting Michael Tuck behind play in the Semi Final cost us a flag. Carman kicked an average of two goals a game and didn't go a single game without scoring at least a goal through 77. I've heard some also say that Hafey trained the players far too hard in the lead up to the replay and this may have impacted us.

1979 = The Wayne Harmes' incident will go down in footy folklore. All Collingwood supporters are adamant the ball was out of bounce. Carlton were a strong side though finishing with a W-L record of 19-3 and a percentage of 139.6%, whereas the Pies finished third with a 15-7 record. I think it's clear Collingwood overachieved in 1979 in some way despite getting so close.

1980 = Amongst the losing Grand Finals, I think 1980 was one of the weakest GF teams we've had. Finished 5th with a W-L record of 14-1-7 and it's possible we just ran out of legs after having won three finals games against North Melbourne, Carlton (won in 79; 81-82) and Geelong in a thrilling prelim. Tigers were worthy premiers, but interestingly the top two sides in both Geelong and Carlton failed to make the Grand Final that year.

1981 = Another one that got away. Carlton were minor premiers, but only on percentage with us finishing 2nd on the ladder. We beat Carlton twice during the season (57 points at Princes Park and a 1 point win at Victoria Park). To lead by 9 points at 3QT and capitulate in the final quarter was hugely disappointing. It's somewhat reminiscent of the 2011 GF. Watching '1981 - The Final Story' documentary on YouTube certainly gives an interesting insight into the players mindset in that Grand Final and the lack of confidence and belief they had in being triumphant.

1990 = Best team in September of that season. Essendon were minor premiers but I think defeating the Bombers in the Semi Final gave us a psychological edge over them and Melbourne defeating Hawthorn in an Elimination Final helped us enormously as the Hawks smacked us twice in the regular season.

2002 = Hadn't made the finals in the previous 7 seasons before that year, so the rise to a Grand Final was unexpected after we finished 4th on the ladder. A few moments of brilliance from the Lions got them over the line, but really the game could have gone either way. At the time, some were saying it was the best Grand Final for a neutral since 1989.

2003 = Felt our form leading into the finals was far better than 2002, but we lowered our colours on the day it mattered most. Beating the Lions in the Qualifying Final gave us big confidence and was primarily the reason for our pre-match favouritism amongst the "experts" and bookies. Looking back on it hindsight, it's amazing that we got into back to back Grand Finals because I think our list was in the 5-8 range at the time.

2010 = Excellent season, and we capped it off with a minor premiership. First two finals against the Dogs and Cats were flawless before we struggled again in the Grand Final. I think we would have lost had the match had it gone to extra time. However, with the benefit of a replay, we got the job done the second time round.

2011 = The W-L record of this team was very impressive, but the side started limping and tiring heading into September and the massive loss to the Cats in the final round didn't help despite the match being dismissed as a dead rubber at the time. Cats were the form team of September and beat us three times that year, so they deserved the flag.

2018 = Similar to 1977 and 2002 in some ways. Got into the finals after a few years of being notable absentees and a coach who was seemingly dead man walking only 12 months earlier. Outstanding effort to get as close as they did but to relinquish a five goal lead will haunt us for a little while. There's no doubt the loss stings for everyone invested in the club, and the question remains as to how we will back up next year.

Supporting Collingwood isn't easy, and there's more lows than highs but what we're going through right now with the emotions we're experiencing is part and parcel of being a Collingwood supporter. It's sad, but it toughens us up at the same time.

I'm not bothered that opposition supporters are taking pleasure in our current misery because I would do the same if a rival of ours failed in similar circumstances. I've taken pleasure in seeing Carlton remain a rabble for a good 15 years and counting, and seeing us knock off a highly-fancied Richmond outfit in a Preliminary Final only just last week.

1970 as well. 1966 and 1977 we were also minor premiers but lost by a point in 66 and in 77 drew after being a decent lead up and then lost the replay.

We were a serious premiership threat in 1970 and 2011, and idk about 1966 and 1977, but the ladder suggests it.
Finished top in both 69 & 70.

We know what happened in 70 - in 69 the Pies got knocked out in straight sets, Richmond winning the flag from 4th.

I dont think I can delete a thread

Lou Richards can't delete the Colliwobbles either for last Saturday in September.
When their banner broke, I chuckled, baby, those Colliwobble ghosts have returned. This is on, and so it was.
5 points, beautiful

One was from starting a fight with essendon and the other against st Kilda lol
One of the Crows flags was against Stkilda. :rolleyes:

In fact all of the major final wins that lead to the Crows flags were against what I am sure what you would call historically unsuccessful clubs.

One of the Crows flags was against Stkilda. :rolleyes:

In fact all of the major final wins that lead to the Crows flags were against what I am sure what you would call historically unsuccessful clubs.

It's intriguing these people quoting my posts to go off subject and abuse my club if somehow that means my posts were not true.

This from the supporter of a club who whose only premiership was manafactured.

It's intriguing these people quoting my posts to go off subject and abuse my club if somehow that means my posts were not true.

This from the supporter of a club who whose only premiership was manafactured.
I am not abusing your club. :rolleyes:

Of course what you said was fact.

I am pointing out the hypocritical nature of your post when you said one was against StKilda.

Does the Crows flag that year (97) mean any less than if you had beaten West Coast or Hawthorn in the GF ?

No of course not.

Lou Richards can't delete the Colliwobbles either for last Saturday in September.
When their banner broke, I chuckled, baby, those Colliwobble ghosts have returned. This is on, and so it was.
5 points, beautiful
Glad you enjoyed it...at least you get some satisfaction out of AFL football, especially after a s**t almost-quarter-of-a-century by your own team...LOL

;)

16 teams couldn't make the GF. To mock a club that did, and came very close, from those supporters of clubs that couldn't is disgraceful

Its not mocking. Its actually a pretty significant statistic to have a 2-13 GF record in the last 15 GFs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad you enjoyed it..
I do not believe you. As bitter as all * clearly. It is people such as yourself that induce involuntary chuckles at such times, knowing what was coming. You make your own bed, lay in it.
At same time great to see wonderful down to earth bloke like Adam Simpson feel the ultimate joy of coaching a team to success after suffering the blow of losing a grand final three years ago. He deserves all the success that comes his way. Guys like Willie Rioli doing it the hard way to get to play AFL football and Vardy told by medicos maybe a football career was not for him are the true joys watching on. So many great football stories on the day.

I get the Crows copped it mercilessly, and it was wrong.

And no. When you start a thread the day after the GF, with that title it's not coincudence and it's not excuseable.

It’s topical, when would you suggest he start this thread, Round 1 2019? C’mon don’t be so sensitive.

We get some really bad thread topics during the off season, but this one seems fine as it opens discussion on a recent game highlighting a pattern of losses by a particular club.

I really see nothing wrong with it but I do get that Collingwood supporters may not like seeing a title they’ve tried to shake off being brought up again.

I don’t understand why Collingwood supporters are angry with opposition supporters barracking and gloating against them. It’s only natural especially for Essendon, Carlton and Richmond supporters. If the shoe was on the other foot, most of them would do the same.

Seeing Richmond supporters pile on, in a desperate attempt to get some sort of 'payback' for the Prelim, is pretty pathetic though.

Not a single pundit predicted Collingwood (or West Coast for that matter) to be anywhere near the GF, and they played a cracker of a game. Whereas Richmond were the greatest dead-set certs to go back to back, and got humiliated in about 40 minutes.

1960 = Only kicked 2.2 that day. Melbourne clearly the superior team of that era having won in 55, 56, 57 and 59. Snuck into the top 4 on percentage and were probably lucky to get as far as we did.

1964 = Incredibly unlucky that an opposition back pocket player kicks the winning goal. Collingwood were the better team in the last quarter of that GF but just fell short again to a Melbourne side about to experience their last hurrah for decades to come.

1966 = One that got away. Minor premiers with a W-L record of 15-3 and a percentage of 157.2%. Beat the Saints twice during the course of the year (including a finals game), but a Barry Breen point sealed our fate.

1970 = Arguably Collingwood's best side since the "Machine Team" (1927-1930). Finished two games clear on top, beat Carlton three times in the season and led by 44 points at half time. The concussion of Peter McKenna (kicked six in the GF) just before half time courtesy of friendly fire from Des Tuddenham arguably changed the course of the game in a big way.

1977 = Tom Hafey's first year as coach after the Pies finished wooden spooners in 1976 (the first in our history). We finished minor premiers in 77. Most Collingwood supporters I know are adamant that the suspension of Phil Carman after hitting Michael Tuck behind play in the Semi Final cost us a flag. Carman kicked an average of two goals a game and didn't go a single game without scoring at least a goal through 77. I've heard some also say that Hafey trained the players far too hard in the lead up to the replay and this may have impacted us.

1979 = The Wayne Harmes' incident will go down in footy folklore. All Collingwood supporters are adamant the ball was out of bounce. Carlton were a strong side though finishing with a W-L record of 19-3 and a percentage of 139.6%, whereas the Pies finished third with a 15-7 record. I think it's clear Collingwood overachieved in 1979 in some way despite getting so close.

1980 = Amongst the losing Grand Finals, I think 1980 was one of the weakest GF teams we've had. Finished 5th with a W-L record of 14-1-7 and it's possible we just ran out of legs after having won three finals games against North Melbourne, Carlton (won in 79; 81-82) and Geelong in a thrilling prelim. Tigers were worthy premiers, but interestingly the top two sides in both Geelong and Carlton failed to make the Grand Final that year.

1981 = Another one that got away. Carlton were minor premiers, but only on percentage with us finishing 2nd on the ladder. We beat Carlton twice during the season (57 points at Princes Park and a 1 point win at Victoria Park). To lead by 9 points at 3QT and capitulate in the final quarter was hugely disappointing. It's somewhat reminiscent of the 2011 GF. Watching '1981 - The Final Story' documentary on YouTube certainly gives an interesting insight into the players mindset in that Grand Final and the lack of confidence and belief they had in being triumphant.

1990 = Best team in September of that season. Essendon were minor premiers but I think defeating the Bombers in the Semi Final gave us a psychological edge over them and Melbourne defeating Hawthorn in an Elimination Final helped us enormously as the Hawks smacked us twice in the regular season.

2002 = Hadn't made the finals in the previous 7 seasons before that year, so the rise to a Grand Final was unexpected after we finished 4th on the ladder. A few moments of brilliance from the Lions got them over the line, but really the game could have gone either way. At the time, some were saying it was the best Grand Final for a neutral since 1989.

2003 = Felt our form leading into the finals was far better than 2002, but we lowered our colours on the day it mattered most. Beating the Lions in the Qualifying Final gave us big confidence and was primarily the reason for our pre-match favouritism amongst the "experts" and bookies. Looking back on it hindsight, it's amazing that we got into back to back Grand Finals because I think our list was in the 5-8 range at the time.

2010 = Excellent season, and we capped it off with a minor premiership. First two finals against the Dogs and Cats were flawless before we struggled again in the Grand Final. I think we would have lost had the match had it gone to extra time. However, with the benefit of a replay, we got the job done the second time round.

2011 = The W-L record of this team was very impressive, but the side started limping and tiring heading into September and the massive loss to the Cats in the final round didn't help despite the match being dismissed as a dead rubber at the time. Cats were the form team of September and beat us three times that year, so they deserved the flag.

2018 = Similar to 1977 and 2002 in some ways. Got into the finals after a few years of being notable absentees and a coach who was seemingly dead man walking only 12 months earlier. Outstanding effort to get as close as they did but to relinquish a five goal lead will haunt us for a little while. There's no doubt the loss stings for everyone invested in the club, and the question remains as to how we will back up next year.

Supporting Collingwood isn't easy, and there's more lows than highs but what we're going through right now with the emotions we're experiencing is part and parcel of being a Collingwood supporter. It's sad, but it toughens us up at the same time.

I'm not bothered that opposition supporters are taking pleasure in our current misery because I would do the same if a rival of ours failed in similar circumstances. I've taken pleasure in seeing Carlton remain a rabble for a good 15 years and counting, and seeing us knock off a highly-fancied Richmond outfit in a Preliminary Final only just last week.
Top effort this post. Proves what a consistent club Pies have been.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back