The September Grand Final and the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of the stories you hear out there are heartbreaking.

Rene Kink played in 4 grand final losses with Collingwood. He had enough of that and moved to Essendon, where he played in another losing grand final in 83.

He did a knee in 1984, and wasn't a part of Essendon's back-to-back 84-85 flags.

Just on the 80's. As dominant as Hawthorn was, Carlton also won b2b premierships 81-82.

Carlton also saluted in 1979 and 1987. 4 premierships in 10 years.

Most of the Big 4 clubs were adding to their premiership tally's. Even Richmond managed a flag in that era.

Collingwood? Donuts.

I don’t understand why Collingwood supporters are angry with opposition supporters barracking and gloating against them. It’s only natural especially for Essendon, Carlton and Richmond supporters. If the shoe was on the other foot, most of them would do the same.

I actually find delight in supporters of teams who have been mediocre for the best part of 20 years need to get there satisfaction and delight from our near misses after another mediocre season.

It's interesting that you take that attitude. I think it is a perfectly reasonable topic to discuss and it's not having a go at the Pies by doing so. Yesterday reminded me to some extent of how the Pies lost grand finals when I was growing up watching footy in the 70s.

Since they lost the 1960 Grand Final by some margin to Melbourne:
1964 - lost to Melbourne by 4 points
1966 - lost to St Kilda by 1 point

And then, they started losing after being in good to strong positions:
1970 - lost to Carlton by 10 points after leading by 44 points at half-time
1977 - drew with North after leading by 27 points at 3/4 time (and lost the replay)
1979 - lost to Carlton by 5 points after leading by 28 points 20 minutes into the second quarter in the MCG mud
1980 - lost to Richmond by 81 points (the exception obviously)
1981 - lost to Carlton by 20 points after leading by 21 points late in the 3rd term

They finally broke through in 1990 and the more recent Grand Finals would be well known to posters here (2002, 2003, 2010, 2011 & 2018).

I was born in 1960, so in my lifetime (including 1960, when I was less than a month old), the Pies have played in 16 Grand Finals for 2 wins, 2 draws and 12 losses. And those two wins did come in October, that's just fact.

They have been a remarkably consistent club who I have the utmost respect for, despite the traditional rivalry. At times they have punched above their weight as well, certainly in that period from 77 to 81 and arguably in more recent times as well. (1977 was particularly remarkable, as they made the Grand Final after winning the wooden spoon the season prior - this year was somewhat similar after making the GF from 13th in 2017).

But for some reason they have had a really bad record in Grand Finals once they get there, often forgoing strong positions. Who knows why, and it must be heartbreaking for Collingwood fans of my vintage in particular.

Yesterday was just a continuation of that heartbreak. I feel for the Pies fans.
Since they made the grand final they seemed to be happy they made it to the grand final. They seemed to think they had achieved.

Maybe this is what culture becomes when you lose so many grand finals

Seeing them in the media, It didn't feel right. Nothing but stories of hype. Thier record this year suggests they shouldn't of got passed first week of finals. Went into the finals with one win from 8 games against top eight sides.

West coast on the other hand seemed more focused on the job at hand during the lead up.

I actually find delight in supporters of teams who have been mediocre for the best part of 20 years need to get there satisfaction and delight from our near misses after another mediocre season.
Mate read my signature

You have 2 (two flags ) in 60 years in the same time we have 6, who is mediocre?

Collingwood drew with us in 1990 with the GF rescheduled to October 6 as a result and the 2010 Grand Final was a draw and subsequently won the replay.

3 October 2020 is the most likely date for their next flag....should the AFL keep the pre-finals bye.

16 teams couldn't make the GF. To mock a club that did, and came very close, from those supporters of clubs that couldn't is disgraceful

Play the argument not the man. If you can't do that go home. No point posting on the site if the club you support decides the eligibility of a comment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood lose so many grand finals because they overachieve to get there in the first place. The only time they legitimately lost as a serious premiership threat was in 2011.
1970 as well. 1966 and 1977 we were also minor premiers but lost by a point in 66 and in 77 drew after being a decent lead up and then lost the replay.

We were a serious premiership threat in 1970 and 2011, and idk about 1966 and 1977, but the ladder suggests it.

Collingwood lose so many grand finals because they overachieve to get there in the first place. The only time they legitimately lost as a serious premiership threat was in 2011.
Collingwood's H&A finishes in years they've made the Grand Final since 1960:

1960 = 4th
1964 = 2nd
1966 = 1st
1970 = 1st
1977 = 1st
1979 = 3rd
1980 = 5th
1981 = 2nd
1990 = 2nd (won the flag)
2002 = 4th
2003 = 2nd
2010 = 1st (won the flag)
2011 = 1st
2018 = 3rd

Collingwood's H&A finishes in years they've made the Grand Final since 1960:

1960 = 4th
1964 = 2nd
1966 = 1st
1970 = 1st
1977 = 1st
1979 = 3rd
1980 = 5th
1981 = 2nd
1990 = 2nd (won the flag)
2002 = 4th
2003 = 2nd
2010 = 1st (won the flag)
2011 = 1st
2018 = 3rd

It's clear that pre-1990 we were epic chokers and 2018 was a choke due to being 5 goals up to start the game. Not going to argue.

But in terms of the result we haven't lost a GF we should've won in the AFL era. Brisbane, Geelong and WCE were the better teams.

If I am reading correctly.

Collingwood have only won two of thier last fifteen grand finals?

One if them was against st Kilda lol

That's a lot of bad memories for Collingwood fans in thier late 60s

That deadset drug dependence kind of trauma.

2/16

Remove this Banner Ad

Back