Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So tell me what's wrong with taking pick 7 to the draft? And taking future picks to the draft? I'm getting the gist we need more 'mature aged players' to fill an 'age gap', but if we take keep taking picks to the draft each year, then in a handful of years we'll have a fairly evenly distributed aged profile across the team or am I missing something? I understand we'll occasionally need to trade to rectify a specific position shortfall most likely in order to challenge for the Premiership when we understand our window to be open...but is our window actually open right now? Players on other teams can see that it isn't...

I don't want to be like Sydney or Geelong and be perennial runners-up...Couldn't care less if they made the finals each year. I'm content to be patient (and not melt) for our next challenge. And rather than going all out to bring in what appears to be a Stringer by a different name (basically what a PA mate said before he even picked up on the news we were interested), I'm happy to recruit our players at the draft and build something from nothing just like 2016.

We can't win every year. Such an attitude isn't defeatist, not when you're working towards a window and making sure you're building a list to match.

IF: The Dogs land Brandon Ellis, Sam Lloyd and Pick 37.

THEN: Richmond must surely get Pick 7 in return

I bugged Neale Balme's BLT sandwich the other day with an Assimov 1000 listening device
in his favourite café in Little Collins Street. Now Neale must have been hungry as he did
not chew the sandwich he inhaled it whole, but the Assimov 1000 still recorded this trade
information before making the journey to his small intestine. Sadly now I have had to
turn it off as it sounds like two whales indulging in some rough sex.

Or the we did our due diligence and offered a deal that we thought was appropriate and nothing more.

One of the two...

Edit: Not to mention the Hawks shipping off a player against his will to satisfy the deal.
No mention of that...?
We also have a pretty handy former list manager in Ameet Bains who isn't into overpaying Between him and Power they came up with a price they were willing to pay for Wingard but would seem the asking price was too high

IF: The Dogs land Brandon Ellis, Sam Lloyd and Pick 37.

THEN: Richmond must surely get Pick 7 in return

I bugged Neale Balme's BLT sandwich the other day with an Assimov 1000 listening device
in his favourite café in Little Collins Street. Now Neale must have been hungry as he did
not chew the sandwich he inhaled it whole, but the Assimov 1000 still recorded this trade
information before making the journey to his small intestine. Sadly now I have had to
turn it off as it sounds like two whales indulging in some rough sex.
Ellis? Where’s that come from?

Hi, so about Roughhead,

Obviously we won't be playing him in the ruck, so how is he as a key defender? Is he a capable shut down defender? What was the reason of him moving to the rucks in the first place?

Short answer , he is a terrible defender.in fact he goes down back , he looks like he had only played footy for a week.

Hi, so about Roughhead,

Obviously we won't be playing him in the ruck, so how is he as a key defender? Is he a capable shut down defender? What was the reason of him moving to the rucks in the first place?

He played as our main KPD for two years when McCartney was our coach. Have a look at the stats.

He was a ruck before and after, it’s his natural position.

He’s absolutely cooked though. Probably highlights your need for any KPD you can get although there are better options out there

It’s exactly that mentally I have fought against for years

Our fans have it and I fear our club has it.

In 2016 the mentally was why not us and we meant it for the first time in my lifetime. Get back to that and anything is possible

Continue to accept and live on the “we tried” and “we can’t compete with bigger teams” we will continue to fail

LOL

All you’ve “fought against” is any form of reasoned thinking and positivity.

You were a defeatist slug ranting about potatoes and lemmings all of 2016 while the majority believed.

You can’t rewrite history just because it paints you as a muppet.

I need some thoughts on this trade:

Pick 7 and steak knives to adelaide for 13 and 16.
Pick 16 to Hawks for Burton

Leaves Burton, pick 13 (Sam Sturt maybe) and west with our Dahl compo. Is this a good enough result for pick 7?

Not having a go at you but this trade specifically. What on earth? We don’t need more high defenders and Burton is required for the Hawks number 1 trade target. On what planet would the Hawks trade Burton to us and would we be interested?

Think others have said
But hope we are trying to go Adams and 7 to Brisbane for 5
Then try and swap 5 for 8 and 13 to the crows
Still gives us currency for mature players if needed but gives us a good draft position if all else fails.
Come on Sammy
If we can get Pick 5 just keep it Great chance to get Bailey Smith who the club I s super keen on

LOL

All you’ve “fought against” is any form of reasoned thinking and positivity.

You were a defeatist slug ranting about potatoes and lemmings all of 2016 while the majority believed.

You can’t rewrite history just because it paints you as a muppet.

Nailed it.

Supporting a club is all about hope. I had hope in 96, I had hope in the Rohde years, the McCartney years and the Bevo years and the flag rewarded that faith.

You'll hear people whinge about positivity but without hope, without belief and without dreaming about that next flag, we've got nothing. The dreams about us holding that cup one day kept me going through all the tough times and it happened against all the odds.

Anything is possible. Have a close look at the young talent on our list.

If people want to wander through life thinking the club is s*** and always will be, then I feel sorry for you. You'll have a very sad and unrewarding life following the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF is all of this psychobabble over one player choosing to go to a club that is presently contending while we aren’t?

The talk of “failing” when it comes to jagging a peak player? How about before you go jump off the Westgate you wait until our team is actually a legit contender in the current climate.

We won a flag in 2016, but it wasn’t after contending for a period, it was out of the blue. So we had literally one off-season where things looked really good. If we contend for a couple of years in the build up to a flag we’ll lure players. The reality is we’ve had two decent years since FA has been in and we’ve brought in best 22 players without an outright “star”. We need to be challenging to be attractive. It’s pretty simple.

This group of players is young but can be very competitive. They’ll start to peak in the next 2 years. As much as I too would like to add top shelf experience this year (would love May), drafting one of the guns of this draft at 7 isn’t a failure imo, given where we’re at.

At worst, add a few mature players to fill the age demographic and bring in 2 more elite talents at 7 and West, bust balls to get better next year and demonstrate to players they should come here and contend with us.

In the 80's the influx to the west was predominantly South East Asian (Vietnamese, Cambodian, etc.) who were not sport orientated. Kill me but it was true. It is slowly but surely changing as the next generations from these families become more Australian with their sports ethos.

In the last 10 years the West has been flooded population wise by new arrivals from India and Africa who ARE sports mad. The kids of this area are into their AFL and because of the 2016 flag they are most certainly Bulldogs. I have had countless conversations with Uber drivers and taxi drivers, who, although foreign to the concept of AFL, claim an affinity to our Club. This is manifesting into their kids.

This fragile mentality of us being a small club is temporary but our marketing department needs to start cashing in on this pronto.

Our next flag will solidify this. We need to make it happen in the next couple of years. A couple of local draftees from these backgrounds will undoubtedly fast track a wave of support due to locality and 2016.

Not going to help us this year in attracting talent but geez our foundations are sound as a Club looking forward.

My daughter has seen success for us aged 6 in AFL, VFL and most importantly for her AFLW. She and her kids may just see sustained excellence.

In the meantime, get May!!

Great post.

I think Jong is a great positive for our club in this context... long term support from an untapped demographic. He,s a great role model and good guy too.

We don’t just need good players... we need guys and girls that you can tell great stories about. Or ten year olds can,. Stuff players and fans get engaged in . eg Chris Grant and the pocket money; Libba seniors tackling. JJ,s story. Usually they have to be good players, freaky ones even better. Stringer was great but...
What about Majak? As a dog? All things being equal we should embrace our demographic amap.
And Tom Boyd is going to be a lot better... (I loved his coming out interview with Bob M on his podcast)

He played as our main KPD for two years when McCartney was our coach. Have a look at the stats.

He was a ruck before and after, it’s his natural position.

He’s absolutely cooked though. Probably highlights your need for any KPD you can get although there are better options out there

If it's a defender they need , that's not too expensive Fletch could be their man.
Seen a lot worse and has Roughy well and truly covered as a defender.

WTF is all of this psychobabble over one player choosing to go to a club that is presently contending while we aren’t?

The talk of “failing” when it comes to jagging a peak player? How about before you go jump off the Westgate you wait until our team is actually a legit contender in the current climate.

We won a flag in 2016, but it wasn’t after contending for a period, it was out of the blue. So we had literally one off-season where things looked really good. If we contend for a couple of years in the build up to a flag we’ll lure players. The reality is we’ve had two decent years since FA has been in and we’ve brought in best 22 players without an outright “star”. We need to be challenging to be attractive. It’s pretty simple.

This group of players is young but can be very competitive. They’ll start to peak in the next 2 years. As much as I too would like to add top shelf experience this year (would love May), drafting one of the guns of this draft at 7 isn’t a failure imo, given where we’re at.

At worst, add a few mature players to fill the age demographic and bring in 2 more elite talents at 7 and West, bust balls to get better next year and demonstrate to players they should come here and contend with us.
Essendon haven’t won a final in nearly 15 years. They’ve pulled in Smith, Saad, Stringer and Shiel.

North haven’t done anything since 2016. Still landed Polec, Pittard, Hall and Tyson.

Last off season we did pretty well. I’m concerned that with 3 days to go we’re linked with only Duryea, Townsend and Lloyd and we’ve done nothing yet? Why are we waiting on Lloyd? Richmond sent Ellis and Miles away quick smart so I doubt it’s them stalling.

Hi, so about Roughhead,

He's been quoted as saying he doesn't like playing in defence, so good luck with that. Not sure where he fits.

But helluva nice guy :)

So tell me what's wrong with taking pick 7 to the draft? And taking future picks to the draft? I'm getting the gist we need more 'mature aged players' to fill an 'age gap', but if we take keep taking picks to the draft each year, then in a handful of years we'll have a fairly evenly distributed aged profile across the team or am I missing something? I understand we'll occasionally need to trade to rectify a specific position shortfall most likely in order to challenge for the Premiership when we understand our window to be open...but is our window actually open right now? Players on other teams can see that it isn't...

I don't want to be like Sydney or Geelong and be perennial runners-up...Couldn't care less if they made the finals each year. I'm content to be patient (and not melt) for our next challenge. And rather than going all out to bring in what appears to be a Stringer by a different name (basically what a PA mate said before he even picked up on the news we were interested), I'm happy to recruit our players at the draft and build something from nothing just like 2016.

We can't win every year. Such an attitude isn't defeatist, not when you're working towards a window and making sure you're building a list to match.

Nothing wrong with that as such, but by having a couple of more experienced players in important positions it could fastrack the teams success. We have a lot of fantastic young players, the core of which are only early 20’s so have a long time ahead of them. We just need to make changes that will keep fans coming through the gates, players want to stay cos they can see what potential they have as group together & hope that losing more often than winning won’t make players want to leave that are hungry for success.

Our age profile is similar to GWS in their early years, but haven’t had the level of floggings they took which is a relief. That gives me hope based on their last few years that we can challenge in the same way, but I think they have missed their chance although they still have a top 8 team so who knows.

The reason I’m happy to trade away some early picks in the next few years is to get players in that improve our best 22 instantly, not ones that will do that in 3-4 years time on a regular basis. We lack pace, but the forward line too often looks like a rabble with deplorable forward entries. “If” that wasn’t an issue last season, we would have won an extra 3-4 games. “If” it won’t be an issue next season, we can win more than we could right now

Essendon haven’t won a final in nearly 15 years. They’ve pulled in Smith, Saad, Stringer and Shiel.

North haven’t done anything since 2016. Still landed Polec, Pittard, Hall and Tyson.

Last off season we did pretty well. I’m concerned that with 3 days to go we’re linked with only Duryea, Townsend and Lloyd and we’ve done nothing yet? Why are we waiting on Lloyd? Richmond sent Ellis and Miles away quick smart so I doubt it’s them stalling.

Stringer and Smith were let go by their teams, they weren’t poached, and Saad was picked up because he left his previous club for religious reasons (to be closer to his community).

Polec is a good get North are paying massive overs for, Pittard is a freebie, Hall is basically being punted by the Suns and Tyson is borderline best 22.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back