Past #37: Kyron Hayden - delisted end '22 - 12 NM games/ 0 NM goals - thanks Ronny

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely Watson would have been less likely to be poached! Could there be a monetary (ie: wage-based) incentive in re-rookie'ing a 1st year player compared to someone who has been there 2 years?
It's a weird one. As a 2nd year player from late in the draft he's on a low fixed amount. A contracted player 3rd+ year will be on more and you would expect more likely to survive the drafts on cap hit alone.

Surely at pick 58 or later the one-year remaining commitment to KH plus 1 year for another rookie gives you more flexibility than 1 year for him on the rookie list and a 2-year commitment to another project player.

I can see why they've done this. But I don't agree with how the AFL deals with it.

If they insist on keeping the Rookie list we should be allowed to move players there w/ zero risk.
It would effectively mean though, that no matter what the wording of the CBA about "mutual consent", clubs would use it to unilaterally downgrade the status of contracted players. We need a waiver system: delist, if nobody wants him on their senior list by the waiver deadline then straight through to the rookie list.

Acquiring off waivers could have some minimum requirements on contract terms to raise the bar a bit.

That's the same drum I beat every year. AFLPA fought tooth and claw to enable free movement for experienced players via FA. Why did they never protect the job security of the bottom end players by seeking consensual ability for a senior listed player to move to the rookie list?

I can't see how the current system is better for club or player.
Because the AFLPA committee is dominated by experienced, high-end players and not fringe/bottom-end players. (Average number of games played by AFLPA presidents is 241, and average number of games by current committee is 182.)

Settle down.
Good advice I reckon.
This management of players and picks is a right hot mess though. Too confusing for me, even if we got a best case scenario in terms of bids.
:stern look

How about "There's a plan in place and the club are presumably acting with all due diligence, even if we don't fully understand all the issues involved."?

Good advice I reckon.

:stern look

How about "There's a plan in place and the club are presumably acting with all due diligence, even if we don't fully understand all the issues involved."?
I don't want to criticise the club. I just wish I was smart enough to have a better idea of how everything will fall into place on draft night.

I don't want to criticise the club. I just wish I was smart enough to have a better idea of how everything will fall into place on draft night.
As it gets more complicated, I try to understand what I can, and with the rest, take the approach that it's only footy and I'll see what happens when it does.

Sorry I might have missed it - but freeing up the spot suggests there is a specific additional target the club is after.

Any ideas who? Ie free up room to try and get....? (Presumably a later / recycled player? )

Sorry I might have missed it - but freeing up the spot suggests there is a specific additional target the club is after.
I thought it was more to do with the point, below.

Don't we need to delist someone so we can use the picks we've got to cover Thomas/Scott etc?

There were a few posters going on about the need to make another delisting for this reason, but I can't remember who. The issue of having to have the same amount of list vacancies as draft picks, yeah?

I thought it was more to do with the point, below.

There were a few posters going on about the need to make another delisting for this reason, but I can't remember who. The issue of having to have the same amount of list vacancies as draft picks, yeah?

Yeah I recall the same...I think they said that you can only use the picks that you have spots open for...so I assume that once we get TT, Scott and a third we will upgrade some rookies I.e Cam Z to fill the remaining spots...

Yeah I recall the same...I think they said that you can only use the picks that you have spots open for...so I assume that once we get TT, Scott and a third we will upgrade some rookies I.e Cam Z to fill the remaining spots...
Not sure on that. But, with respect to Kyron, the point is he's déclassé in order to ensure open spots on the senior list.

I'm assuming we'll be taking a number of low end, speculative picks. How low end depends on the elimination of draft picks above with matching picks for F/Ss and various academies.

Yeah I meant I thought the OP said that you can only use picks for FS or academies where you have open senior spots for...e.g. you have 4 open spots you can only use the first 4 picks...So i believe we delisted Hayden to use an extra pick just in case...And if this is the case I believe that we will use the extra spot to promote Cam...I could be wrong...

Our depth has been our biggest problem the last few years.
a young bloke who is developing and wont be expected to play r1 should be on the rookie list imo.
Of the blokes delisted only hartung was best 22. (or close to it)
we carried far to many vfl standard players the last few years and im happy they are gone.
our bottom 10-12 players last year were a bit crap for mine.
kyron was in the best for that group so he gets another chance.
Rat is lucky he is contracted......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I meant I thought the OP said that you can only use picks for FS or academies where you have open senior spots for...e.g. you have 4 open spots you can only use the first 4 picks...So i believe we delisted Hayden to use an extra pick just in case...And if this is the case I believe that we will use the extra spot to promote Cam...I could be wrong...
We might need to phone a friend Kato.

pic113.png

spot on.
i think this is the case atm.
we have picks
42, 47, 48, 49, 55, 58 and 86
we can only use pick we have a spot free on the list for.
im uncertain how many we have right now.
say its 5 now that kyron is off the main list
we can use.
42, 47, 48, 49, 55
now here is the interesting point.
if tt is picked up high enough to take our first 2 picks
so we have
tt 48, 49, 55 and the pick 58 now becomes active. as we still have 4 open list spots.
we have the points easy now.

Bailey Scott appears to be going up various people's lists in tersm of where he'll be bid on, so we're ensuring we have enough picks/points to get him even if he's bid on 20-25.

It is not unpossible both Tarryn and Bailey could be first rounders.

Not super likely, but not unpossible. Tarryn top 10, Bailey 10-18.

Bailey Scott appears to be going up various people's lists in tersm of where he'll be bid on, so we're ensuring we have enough picks/points to get him even if he's bid on 20-25.

It is not unpossible both Tarryn and Bailey could be first rounders.

Not super likely, but not unpossible. Tarryn top 10, Bailey 10-18.

With good reason.

Baileys stats for the Allies are superior to someone like Chayce Jones’

Last edited:
Hayden was delisted for points for Thomas/Scott to help us have enough to match bids.

If we didn't delisted someone we would have fortified pick 58 (which we traded for last year) and 170 points.

We will go into the draft with 6 picks and most if not all them will be used to match bids. It doesn't mean we can't draft 6 kids if we want. It just means our last 3 or 4 picks will be late in the draft.

We didn't promote Cam or Murphy as it would mean we have less picks and points to use. And I don't believe we can promote them now.

We can still draft Hayden with one of our late picks in the draft if we want. It's about getting Thomas/Scott without going into deficit.

With good reason.

Baileys stats for the Allies are superior to someone like Chance Jones’

Also, he's apparently of the kind of character that clubs rate very very highly in terms of professionalism.

I fully expect GWS to bid on TT at (current) pick 9 they got off the drug cheats.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Tigs had a crack at Bailey at 17, maybe thinking we won't go that high.

yes this sure seems the club is making contingency plans in case TT and BS go higher in the draft order. Based on stats alone, if BS was 10kg heavier he'd be round 1, possibly close to top 10.

Dumb question but wouldn't the extra pick be particularly late in the draft (at the point where there are no points attached to said picks)?

I guess the other possibility is that the club has figured out how many draft selections are likely across the league and figured out that one more spot gets us a pick with points attached.

It could still happen mate. No one is writing him off. It's up to him, just like any other player on the list.

It might happen at another club - now we’ve delisted him.

So many others that could of been delisted - durdin who supposedly no one wanted
Hrovat who is a below average player
Dec Watson coming off a knee injury

I know you’ll stand by the club but it’s risky af

Remove this Banner Ad

Back