The Australian Greens - What are they Doing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Need better vetting. No more rapey candidates.
Higher profiles
More candidates
More room for error

We only have allegations of sexual assault so far... no way to know if the allegations are true or not with what evidence we have in public

Need better vetting. No more rapey candidates.
Also need to go back to having better policies.

Have said it before, don't think that DiNatale was the best choice for leader. I would have preferred Brandt or waters.

I miss Bob Brown.

Have said it before, don't think that DiNatale was the best choice for leader. I would have preferred Brandt or waters.

I miss Bob Brown.

Ever since Bob retired they’ve been drifting. Bob had credibility due to his association with the Franklin Dam protests, something his successors lack. The party worked best when it was a party of principle and progressive ideas. They should have stuck to that, but they’ve been infiltrated by the same type of narcissistic wannabe career politicians who wasted their Uni life focusing on student politics that infest the major parties.

Progressive parties should focus on coming up with progressive policy and running hard on it until other parties are forced to adopt them. The Greens in recent times have become too focused on being ‘electable’ (i.e. bland and reactionary), which is a result of their internal membership drift.

On the plus side, two ideas they’ve stuck with for 25 years (voluntary assisted dying, safe injecting rooms) came to pass after they were adopted by the ALP. Without the Greens ploughing a lonely furrow with these positions, it mightn’t have become possible for these ideas to get broad community support. Let’s hope legalisation of pot for personal use and pill testing are the next ideas to come to fruition.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I miss Bob Brown.
Getting money out of politics is number one issue for me. Self interest maybe but they still the only party even talking about it...
Evidence based policies like decriminalizing drugs and treating it a health issue
Environment and sustainability
Education*
Easy vote winning positives for them

Negatives
The Save the planet element ? Please ........planet has gone through ice ages, asteroids, ect ect and will fek us off and come back if it decides
Open borders is unrealistic... after all the illegal wars and destabilization we have been apart of
Equality via quota ? That is not equality

I miss Bob Brown 2 but I like DiNatale as well

I just read in the ABC app the Greens are going from 5 upper house seats to just 1 seat...
That's massive

Negatives
The Save the planet element ? Please ........planet has gone through ice ages, asteroids, ect ect and will fek us off and come back if it decides
Yeah, what would peer reviewed scientists know anyway compared to your knowledge on the subject

Besides this debate finished years ago....and guess what, you got your arse kicked

Negatives
Open borders is unrealistic... after all the illegal wars and destabilization we have been apart of
Equality via quota ? That is not equality

I miss Bob Brown 2 but I like DiNatale as well
I don't see them in the first two, lots of information out there on them is wrong. Especially open borders, where did you get that from? Fighting for the rights of those on Nauru/Manus? I don't have a problem with that.

Equality via quota? Do you mean representation in Parliament or something else. I think they are more talking about equal of opportunity to reflect the community.

DiNatale? He is supposedly leader of the Australian Greens yet NSW and now Vic are a mess and TAS (the stronghold) is losing seats. Don't think he is working hard enough to hold them together. Brown would never have let it get this far as the 'mess' has been obvious for a couple of years.

Yeah, what would peer reviewed scientists know anyway compared to your knowledge on the subject

Besides this debate finished years ago....and guess what, you got your arse kicked
Huh ? read again maybe ?
Science is the best system we have to getting 2 the truth.
Unless new evidence comes along then the increase in global temp is being caused by humans is true....

I don't see them in the first two, lots of information out there on them is wrong. Especially open borders, where did you get that from? Fighting for the rights of those on Nauru/Manus? I don't have a problem with that.

Equality via quota? Do you mean representation in Parliament or something else. I think they are more talking about equal of opportunity to reflect the community.

DiNatale? He is supposedly leader of the Australian Greens yet NSW and now Vic are a mess and TAS (the stronghold) is losing seats. Don't think he is working hard enough to hold them together. Brown would never have let it get this far as the 'mess' has been obvious for a couple of years.
On the open borders thing. They can't represent the far left without it.
Just like conservatives they have a base...and the base is always filled with ideologues
The prison camps locking people up indefinitely is one of the most disgusting attempts at political point scoring i know of
NZ were going 2 accept them

Quota was a parliament comment from Senator Young i think

Didn't know TAS was a green strong hold ? their population has changed a lot in last few years though
I moved from Victoria 2 NSW a few years ago and trust me....this state is the most corrupt piece of work i have ever seen.
Left/Right who cares.....
take $, make $, stomp 4 $

Labour are talking about a federal corruption body but parts conducted in private
disloyal royal commission smell

You would expect that this is about as low as the vote can go for the Greens, assuming of course that they don't arse up their campaign this badly again. It's hard to see how they could, but hopefully they don't find a way to prove me wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what I don't like about Di Natale, a bit of this and a bit of that, the bold is the reason they didn't perform well and that is all he should have said.
Richard Di Natale is chatting to the ABC on the Victorian result, he has this to say:

No question it was a grubby campaign from Labor. They have a massive dirt unit. They turned their guns on us. They knew they were safe. And they turned their guns on us. To me is that we need to improve the way that we vet our candidates.

If you trawl through social media history and point out a page that they have liked when they were 12 or 13 years old and basic campaign around that, what you are saying to people is that we don’t want good, decent, ordinary people in politics.

This is what I don't like about Di Natale, a bit of this and a bit of that, the bold is the reason they didn't perform well and that is all he should have said.
Richard Di Natale is chatting to the ABC on the Victorian result, he has this to say:

No question it was a grubby campaign from Labor. They have a massive dirt unit. They turned their guns on us. They knew they were safe. And they turned their guns on us. To me is that we need to improve the way that we vet our candidates.

If you trawl through social media history and point out a page that they have liked when they were 12 or 13 years old and basic campaign around that, what you are saying to people is that we don’t want good, decent, ordinary people in politics.
I'm not a fan of di natalie either

I dont dislike him but he doesn't seem strong enough and he doesn't come across as being in control.

I'm not a fan of di natalie either

I dont dislike him but he doesn't seem strong enough and he doesn't come across as being in control.
I am a huge fan of Waters and Brandt. Brandt more so and unfortunately Waters caught out in the dual citizenship.
Now she is back, would love either of them to challenge.

You would have thought they'd learned their lesson about vetting candidates after discovering all those dual citizens...
Reading the responses of former Greens voters on my social media, it's more to do with the Greens response to the candidates and the scandals rather than the candidates themselves. You don't alienate your base and in many respects the Greens in Victoria did that. It's a credit to Dan Andrews that they managed to swing voters to them from both sides of the political spectrum with the Greens primary vote falling.

Greens NSW is virtually it's own party so I doubt the lessons will be learned for the federal election.

I am a huge fan of Waters and Brandt. Brandt more so and unfortunately Waters caught out in the dual citizenship.
Now she is back, would love either of them to challenge.

I seem to remember some things that Adam Bandt was saying a while back that i thought were a bit kooky, but i could be mistaken

Not overly familiar with Larissa Waters

https://greens.org.au/vic/person/adam-bandt
https://greens.org.au/qld/person/larissa-waters
Both good performers and not long winded, get to the point quickly and succinctly. (Unlike a lot of politicians).

"Larissa is passionate about creating a fairer world where people have access to the services they need, addressing global warming, equality for women, clean energy, protecting our environment especially the Great Barrier Reef, and a democracy that works for people not vested interests.

Larissa was the first Green elected to represent Queensland in the Senate, which she did from 2011-2017 including two years as Co-Deputy Leader of the Greens. While in the Senate she was the Greens national spokesperson for women, climate, the environment, mining and resources, tourism, and gambling.

Larissa stood down in July 2017 after discovering she was a dual citizen. She immediately renounced her unwitting dual citizenship, and hopes to return to the Senate.

Before federal parliament, Larissa worked as an environmental lawyer in the community sector for 8 years, helping communities to use the law to protect the environment, and was named 2010 Australian Young Environmental Lawyer of the Year by the Law Council of Australia.

Larissa lives in Brisbane with her partner and two daughters, aged 9 and 1, the youngest being the first child to be breastfed in the federal parliament. She is a vegetarian who loves cooking, reading, music, movies and bushwalking."

Seems an odd thing to put in your bio

"Larissa is passionate about creating a fairer world where people have access to the services they need, addressing global warming, equality for women, clean energy, protecting our environment especially the Great Barrier Reef, and a democracy that works for people not vested interests.

Larissa was the first Green elected to represent Queensland in the Senate, which she did from 2011-2017 including two years as Co-Deputy Leader of the Greens. While in the Senate she was the Greens national spokesperson for women, climate, the environment, mining and resources, tourism, and gambling.

Larissa stood down in July 2017 after discovering she was a dual citizen. She immediately renounced her unwitting dual citizenship, and hopes to return to the Senate.

Before federal parliament, Larissa worked as an environmental lawyer in the community sector for 8 years, helping communities to use the law to protect the environment, and was named 2010 Australian Young Environmental Lawyer of the Year by the Law Council of Australia.

Larissa lives in Brisbane with her partner and two daughters, aged 9 and 1, the youngest being the first child to be breastfed in the federal parliament. She is a vegetarian who loves cooking, reading, music, movies and bushwalking."

Seems an odd thing to put in your bio
No really. Breakthrough. A number from both major parties have done so since.
Stranger that you should pick that out.

No really. Breakthrough. A number from both major parties have done so since.
Stranger that you should pick that out.
Why is it a breakthrough?
Bringing your 1 year old to work in a packed parliament is good for...?

Here is the future and the reason the Greens will remain a force

The Age‏Verified account @theage 14h14 hours ago
Students across Australia will walk out of their classrooms on Friday to tell politicians that climate inaction is not good enough
The same students that will probably protest against the 'rape culture' and 'gender inequality' myths.

Climate change is real, but no one takes uni students seriously, and for good reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back