News Pre-season supplemental selection period between December 1 and March 15

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they'll change the rules in the future to be just blokes who missed out on being drafted in the just completed draft. The way it seems to be described at the moment, if a player is in high demand and has previously nominated or previously been on a list, they can skip the draft and straight afterwards walk straight to the club of their choice.

I think they'll change the rules in the future to be just blokes who missed out on being drafted in the just completed draft. The way it seems to be described at the moment, if a player is in high demand and has previously nominated or previously been on a list, they can skip the draft and straight afterwards walk straight to the club of their choice.

I don’t mind guys like Clarke and Wagner who have gone back to the state leagues basically remaining DFAs and getting their choice of club. I wouldn’t be against it applying to all mature agers.

As the Tim Kelly situation has showed, it’s not always the best option for the older guys to just chuck themselves in the draft and be prepared to go anywhere.

Gold Coast technically have 2 spots .
1 senior list
1 Rookie list

* Upgrade a player eg Holman to senior

You’ve currently got 46 players on my count, including two Cat B rookies (Heron and Dawson). That’s a full list, I can’t work out where there’s even a spot to sign an SSP player.

You’ve currently got 46 players on my count, including two Cat B rookies (Heron and Dawson). That’s a full list, I can’t work out where there’s even a spot to sign an SSP player.
There is where your mistake , didn't collect more information before come to a conclusion . ( Information is out there you just need to google it )

GC can have
40 senior list
6 Rookie A
3 Rookie B

The Suns confirmed on Tuesday they’d be provided an additional two Category A rookie positions for 2019

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/ea6e3057e37b5bef8d7418962592759c

I don’t mind guys like Clarke and Wagner who have gone back to the state leagues basically remaining DFAs and getting their choice of club. I wouldn’t be against it applying to all mature agers.

As the Tim Kelly situation has showed, it’s not always the best option for the older guys to just chuck themselves in the draft and be prepared to go anywhere.

It's a good point, but the way I see the Kelly situation is that the same goes for heaps of 18 year olds. It would seem a bit unfair if blokes who developed dramatically the year after their draft year and were in high demand were suddenly able to skip the draft system and choose the club of their choice. In fact I could see it being a system that encouraged players to tank in their draft year in order to get to their club of choice.

It's a good point, but the way I see the Kelly situation is that the same goes for heaps of 18 year olds. It would seem a bit unfair if blokes who developed dramatically the year after their draft year and were in high demand were suddenly able to skip the draft system and choose the club of their choice. In fact I could see it being a system that encouraged players to tank in their draft year in order to get to their club of choice.

Yeah that's a good point, maybe there needs to be a minimum age of 22 or something.

Could players potentially exploit these rules in the future to get to the team he wants?

BTW do the players go onto the main list or rookie list?

We are talking about rookie quality players here - not talents with multiple options

This is about letting low paid players get some say about where they go - after they have already been exposed to the whole competition.

About the only way this could be exploited would be if North somehow got Josh Kelly to sit out of playing in 2020 and rookied him at the end of a year

But do you really think a player is going to sit a year out in their prime? It did wonders for McCarthy

The players choice really , a guarantee 2 years income vs rookie listed paid for at least a year . ( No guarantee he could stayed on the list due to injuries or other circumstances)

Last edited:
Would Cyril Rioli be eligible for this next year? Gun player without using a draft pick.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

So Cryil could walk into next years premiers without it costing them a draft pick. Lucky no AFL club would exploit that

So Cryil could walk into next years premiers without it costing them a draft pick. Lucky no AFL club would exploit that

Tom Lynch just walked into the (almost) reigning premiers without it costing them a draft pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are talking about rookie quality players here - not talents with multiple options

This is about letting low paid players get some say about where they go - after they have already been exposed to the whole competition.

About the only way this could be exploited would be if North somehow got Josh Kelly to sit out of playing in 2020 and rookied him at the end of a year

But do you really think a player is going to sit a year out in their prime? It did wonders for McCarthy
It's absurd when you remember that Kelly wasn't a ready made player. Clearly rated on potential but in his second year was a marginal purely outside half back runner. It wasn't until 2 years full time in the system on a strength and conditioning programme he became a hybrid mid. Missing a year of that would have been very damaging.

McCarthy was a mobile tall forward who had an excellent 2nd year, although he couldn't sustain it over the season. Like many 19 year olds. Sitting a year out was the last thing he needed. I've noticed his goal shooting seems to have gone backwards as has his agression. I assume it's a confidence thing. He's still quite young for a tall and hopefully he can turn it around with less focus on him next year.

i'm a little late to this... but im really confused as to who is eligible? is it anybody that was passed up in last weeks draft or only ex-players + players that had previously nominated for a draft (2017 and prior) and not been selected?

i read that Richmond have put a request in to sign Sydney Stack via this period? wasn't he just a state 18's player that missed out on getting drafted?

Stack appears to be training with Richmond

590906_b17aa31ba36ced63e2d154d9bd29d252.jpeg

I doubt you can do that. Nominating for the draft one year automatically nominates for the two following years. So the AFL would be able to step in make sure sides can't exploit this rule too much.

I doubt you can do that. Nominating for the draft one year automatically nominates for the two following years. So the AFL would be able to step in make sure sides can't exploit this rule too much.

I don't believe draft nominations automatically carry forward. (They used to but I think that changed a couple of years ago.) But even if they do from an administrative point of view, players can withdraw a nomination for the draft (as we saw with players eligible pre-draft this year under the new rule who had already been promised a spot by a club).

Unusually (for the AFL) they seem to have issued some relatively clear guidelines on how the rule works. These effectively mean that players retain their DFA status even if they've been out of the system for a year or more. If they've not been in the system at all they first have to nominate for the draft and then become eligible under this new rule for the next season. But if they don't get recruited, they have to again nominate for the draft the following year to become eligible again.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-01/six-spots-left-wholl-get-the-last-afl-lifelines-for-2019

The players choice really , a guarantee 2 years income vs rookie listed paid for at least a year . ( No guarantee he could stayed on the list due to injuries or other circumstances)

The problem with this is that there's nothing stopping a club from signing them to a longer contract and commit to upgrading them at the end of the year 5 minutes after they join on the rookie list.

The problem with this is that there's nothing stopping a club from signing them to a longer contract and commit to upgrading them at the end of the year 5 minutes after they join on the rookie list.
You can pay a rookie what you wish anyway. The minimum payment is definitely outside the cap is all.

In any case, the AFL have fixed this before it became an issue. Unless you've been on an AFL list previously you have to make it through undrafted that year to be eligible for supplementary selection.

Andy Collins is right though, AFL lists should be 50 players minimum. They were before the AFL chopped out the reserves comp and now many times our VFL team is running around with over half our team not AFL listed players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back