Player Watch #25 Tom McDonald - In to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

It's tragic, really, how many key forwards the MFC has wasted playing in the forwardline rather than the backline, and vice versa. They should all be playing on the wing for balance.
Two wings, two top five picks =

Was on future stars today and spoke about the forward coaches encouraging them not to wrestle , me thinks one of our forwards was not paying attention, cough cough .

He's clearly a disgrace, that Weid.

how many goals do we think he's good for next year?

At $10 for the Coleman I'm considering a small dip

Last edited:
how many goals do we think he's good for next year?

At $10 for the Coleman I'm considering a small dip
I think he will break all records. Since I don’t know the records I’m playing it safe by saying he will get about one million goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skies the limit if he stays fit. Would have won the Coleman this season had he not missed the first 6 games or so. What will be interesting though, is he's now our #1 target now Hogan is gone. How much of an affect this has will be interesting. He does have good wheels and can take a contested mark, and incredibly kicks bloody straight. Should be aiming for 60+. Is more than capable..

I wonder if all those years as a defender is what shaped Tom to be the forward he is, or should he have been playing forward the whole time?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

It definently helps. When you defend you know what's easy to defend and what's hard to defend and you can bring those learnings into the forward half. You look at how often McDonald would be on the move and then jump at the footy at its highest point compared to Hogan who still thought standing with 2 feet planted an wrestling was the best way to combat modern defence.

I think all forwards and defenders who struggle for a little should swap ends for a little. They are much the same but they switch your concentration areas.

Forwards who go back can follow a man to the ball rather than get lost and defenders who go forward love having the freedom to read the play without worrying about an opponent.

It definently helps. When you defend you know what's easy to defend and what's hard to defend and you can bring those learnings into the forward half. You look at how often McDonald would be on the move and then jump at the footy at its highest point compared to Hogan who still thought standing with 2 feet planted an wrestling was the best way to combat modern defence.

I think all forwards and defenders who struggle for a little should swap ends for a little. They are much the same but they switch your concentration areas.

Forwards who go back can follow a man to the ball rather than get lost and defenders who go forward love having the freedom to read the play without worrying about an opponent.
Yeah spot on, there is definitely a relationship there. I would love to hear it laid out from TMac or someone who has done it, how they think playing at the other end helped them play their eventual position.

Interestingly, I seem to remember May playing a few games as a forward with some success ... Would be a handy Plan B to swap May and TMac around if something wasn't working at either end.

I think T Mac is also benefiting from not having to manufacture line breaking kicks , or those mazy runs into a dead end like when he first started. I am not convinced that swapping ends can benefit everyone but it has certainly made Tommy a more than handy forward .

I wish there was a dislike button so i could punish you for using the s**t-kicker footy word of the year: learnings

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back