News Pre-season supplemental selection period between December 1 and March 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Andy Collins is right though, AFL lists should be 50 players minimum. They were before the AFL chopped out the reserves comp and now many times our VFL team is running around with over half our team not AFL listed players.
Back then training was 2 nights a week and most players weren't anything near professionals.

There's no reason for each club to have 50 on the list for a sport that requires 22. The best thing for VFL players would be to have less total players on AFL lists and more ability to recruit from state leagues mid year, like the supplemental period. Or to carry more players over summer but then cut down in season and then be able to replace either from your replacement players or a general pool of replacement players.

Something like 50 over summer, 40 in March, ability to add a supplemental player for any season ending injuries could work. That way you'd make sure your state league guys are all playing in a high standard.

Back then training was 2 nights a week and most players weren't anything near professionals.

There's no reason for each club to have 50 on the list for a sport that requires 22.
Granted about the 2 nights a week thing, but elite at your sport whether 2 training sessions or 4 is not really the points. clubs need a seconds side for development of players. You do not run with just 22. Most clubs use around 40 players throughout the season and in any one weekend need 44 to play across the two teams and will have sometimes up to 12 to 15 players injured all at once. Hence 50 really is a must but AFL cut it down decades ago to cut down on costs, but hurts in other ways that I do not like to see.

50 really should be it and even a supplemental list beyond that to cover for extensive run of injuries.

Interesting that Carlton have gone for safe honest footballers in Gibbons and Cottrell unlike the Tigers who have gone for a high risk Stack.

Interesting that Carlton have gone for safe honest footballers in Gibbons and Cottrell unlike the Tigers who have gone for a high risk Stack.

We are still making our cake. We're not ready for the cream.

Our cream type players really struggle in our side over the last couple of years.

Last edited:

RCD is spoken about as high risk / high reward too by some

Our cream type players really struggle in our side over the last couple of days.

Stack is an inside mid. Could well have been part of the base of your cake if you'd taken the risk - might have speed up the baking process

RCD is spoken about as high risk / high reward too by some

Stack is an inside mid. Could well have been part of the base of your cake if you'd taken the risk - might have speed up the baking process

Young inside mids we have. Cripps, Kennedy, SPS, Dow, Setterfield, Stocker.

Young inside mids we have. Cripps, Kennedy, SPS, Dow, Setterfield, Stocker.
If Cripps is playing as an Inside mid your in trouble, while he is elite in that position his best value for Carlton is on the outside,
You needed an older inside player to allow that to happen, Kids go missing too much and that means Cripps will shoulder the burden.
Only need to look at our last game to see that. Cripps was BOG but your inside 50's were shocking. Best line breaker in your side and he handballing and dominating the contested ball.

If Cripps is playing as an Inside mid your in trouble, while he is elite in that position his best value for Carlton is on the outside,
You needed an older inside player to allow that to happen, Kids go missing too much and that means Cripps will shoulder the burden.
Only need to look at our last game to see that. Cripps was BOG but your inside 50's were shocking. Best line breaker in your side and he handballing and dominating the contested ball.

Other players will be our linebreakers. It makes no sense to say that if Cripps is in his best position, the one he is elite in, then we are in trouble. He has the best hands in traffic in the comp for mine.

Quicker players such as Dow, Fisher, Setterfield and Murphy will be our linebreakers.

Incidentally, the post was in response to someone saying Stack is an inside mid and would have been more useful to us. Another teenage inside mid not good enough to be drafted as yet, would not have helped us much.

Other players will be our linebreakers. It makes no sense to say that if Cripps is in his best position, the one he is elite in, then we are in trouble. He has the best hands in traffic in the comp for mine.

Quicker players such as Dow, Fisher, Setterfield and Murphy will be our linebreakers.

Incidentally, the post was in response to someone saying Stack is an inside mid and would have been more useful to us. Another teenage inside mid not good enough to be drafted as yet, would not have helped us much.

But are they ready and are they good enough? Not one of them is proven and in Proven I mean consistent.
If you're using Cripps as an inside mid you losing games. he needs to spend time on the outside and up forward.
And I am only replying to your thread about Cripps as your inside mid,
Yes you have some potentials coming along, but will they be around before you run Cripps into the ground and push him out.
Carlton needs to get themselves an inside ball accumulator to help Cripps and allow him more time outside and simply to give him a break. And there are a few around in the VFL, SANFL and WAFL who have been on lists.
Don't make the same mistakes GC did and Melbourne did before Roos by having talented youth but nobody to help them.
Also who's your development midfield coach, or who is your experienced midfielder teaching these Kids how to prepare and play the game.
Ask Cripps how much he learn't from Gibbs,

But are they ready and are they good enough? Not one of them is proven and in Proven I mean consistent.

They are who we have on our list. Cripps is the best extractor we have so he plays there and rests up forward.

If you're using Cripps as an inside mid you losing games. he needs to spend time on the outside and up forward.

He will spend time up forward but if you have been following his career you will know his contested marking only appeared last year, his goalkicking is not great and he does not break lines with pace and is not the best deliverer of the football into the forward line.

So while he does need a chop out now and then, you want us to take him away from his best spot where he shrugs off opponents better than anyone and play him in his lesser spots. Would you recommend Josh Kennedy play outside for the Swans?

And I am only replying to your thread about Cripps as your inside mid,
Okay, wrong thread for it then. I was talking about the reasons we don't need Stack.

Yes you have some potentials coming along, but will they be around before you run Cripps into the ground and push him out.

Cripps thrives on what he does. We can't hold him back. Yes, the help will be around. Watch.

Carlton needs to get themselves an inside ball accumulator to help Cripps and allow him more time outside and simply to give him a break. And there are a few around in the VFL, SANFL and WAFL who have been on lists.

Mick Gibbons is sure to be listed soon.

Also who's your development midfield coach, or who is your experienced midfielder teaching these Kids how to prepare and play the game.
Ask Cripps how much he learn't from Gibbs,

Brent Stanton is our midfield development coach.

The kids are learning from Cripps, Murphy, Simpson and Ed Curnow. No VFL player is going to help them more.

Last edited:
And then they lose more games. Cripps is Carlton's best player and inside mid is his best position. Yeah, they need quality on the outside and forward too - as do the other crap teams - but moving Cripps there would weaken the team.

And then they lose more games. Cripps is Carlton's best player and inside mid is his best position. Yeah, they need quality on the outside and forward too - as do the other crap teams - but moving Cripps there would weaken the team.

Agree

Cripps is a Gun inside mid that extracts the ball 30 times a game , Why would you want to lose that from your team

If you need outside run , You get it from other players as thats not where Cripps is going to be effective

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree

Cripps is a Gun inside mid that extracts the ball 30 times a game , Why would you want to lose that from your team

If you need outside run , You get it from other players as thats not where Cripps is going to be effective

Which is easier finding a good inside mid or getting an outside line breaker who wins games.
Carlton already has Cripps, but they don't have any support for him.
And as mention, if Cripps is the main inside player then Carlton will not win a lot of games. The Cripps they need is playing more like Dusty, Fyfe, Dangerfield. that Cripps will win them games.
Therefore they seriously need to find a Solid inside mid, Today, Cripps will still some inside work same as the ones I mention, but they win there games for the teams on the outside.
They missed the boat of top quality inside mids and now need to look at the VFL, SANFL, WAFL for an OK stopgap until there inexperience young kids guys take control. otherwise, they a going down the same path as GC, and Melbourne prior to Roos.

Which is easier finding a good inside mid or getting an outside line breaker who wins games.
And as mention, if Cripps is the main inside player then Carlton will not win a lot of games. The Cripps they need is playing more like Dusty, Fyfe, Dangerfield. that Cripps will win them games.
Therefore they seriously need to find a Solid inside mid, Today, Cripps will still some inside work same as the ones I mention, but they win there games for the teams on the outside.
They missed the boat of top quality inside mids and now need to look at the VFL, SANFL, WAFL for an OK stopgap until there inexperience young kids guys take control. otherwise, they a going down the same path as GC, and Melbourne prior to Roos.

A good plumber doesnt always make a good electrician

Cripps is a match winning inside mid but he is not a match winning outside line breaker and wont ever be due to his lack of speed,Dusty danger and fyfe have good speed and are very different players to Cripps.

You dont rob peter to pay paul

But woulnt mind knowing the players you consider are outside line breakers who win games

Your the poster who didn't beleive that Stocker was part of the trade aren't you, and now you want to put Cripps on the outside. Sorry mate i thought you were a troll, your not.

Your the poster who didn't beleive that Stocker was part of the trade aren't you, and now you want to put Cripps on the outside. Sorry mate i thought you were a troll, your not.

No I was the Poster who looked at the trade from the Crows, side, yes the other side of the deal, who swap pick 19 and the Crows 2019 1st for Carlton 1st rd pick.
Who Carlton Picked was not a concerned for the Crows. you understand that. In Carlton's eye, Stocker was important.
But your that Poster who cannot fathom that we don't give a s**t who you selected we are only concerned with the Potential low pick. and you don't like the fact we don't care do you.

And I will say it again while Cripps is your main inside mids you will not win as many games as you think, he needs time outside, time to set up play time to win games for his club, He needs good solid Help, not a bunch of Kids that show promise, he needs help on the inside to allow him to grow.
As a Crows supporter, I hope you keep Playing as the main inside mid. Good for my Supercoach team and good for the Crows potential top 5 pick in the draft. and early 2nd round pick.

No I was the Poster who looked at the trade from the Crows, side, yes the other side of the deal, who swap pick 19 and the Crows 2019 1st for Carlton 1st rd pick.
Who Carlton Picked was not a concerned for the Crows. you understand that. In Carlton's eye, Stocker was important.
But your that Poster who cannot fathom that we don't give a s**t who you selected we are only concerned with the Potential low pick. and you don't like the fact we don't care do you.

And I will say it again while Cripps is your main inside mids you will not win as many games as you think, he needs time outside, time to set up play time to win games for his club, He needs good solid Help, not a bunch of Kids that show promise, he needs help on the inside to allow him to grow.
As a Crows supporter, I hope you keep Playing as the main inside mid. Good for my Supercoach team and good for the Crows potential top 5 pick in the draft. and early 2nd round pick.
Curnow. Murphy, Kennedy is enough inside at the moment, we have plenty of linebreakers as as you know we tried to get Shiel. We will again try for another experienced mid this year. As for Stocker if we delisted him in two years you would be the first one on here saying Silvagni's a dud and we one the trade. You got caught out talking crap by Sanders already this morning.

Curnow. Murphy, Kennedy is enough inside at the moment, we have plenty of linebreakers as as you know we tried to get Shiel. We will again try for another experienced mid this year. As for Stocker if we delisted him in two years you would be the first one on here saying Silvagni's a dud and we one the trade. You got caught out talking crap by Sanders already this morning.

Are you serious about that Sanders comment, their history between us Leave it at that. And it was about Buggs comment on his startup company? and it ability to generate million in 7 months, I believe it was possible he disagrees.
Personally, I would Appreciate and I believe Sanders would also, that you followed the BF rules.

Back on the subject which it now seems impossible for you to follow.
Know I am starting favour Carlton do not get any mature Inside mids to support Cripps, because you all believe everything is fine.
As for Stocker I don't care, I hope he goes well But I feel sorry for him as guys like you will turn on him if he has one bad year.
Too us he is the player Carlton selected with Pick 19.

Are you serious about that Sanders comment, their history between us Leave it at that. And it was about Buggs comment on his startup company? and it ability to generate million in 7 months, I believe it was possible he disagrees.
Personally, I would Appreciate and I believe Sanders would also, that you followed the BF rules.

Back on the subject which it now seems impossible for you to follow.
Know I am starting favour Carlton do not get any mature Inside mids to support Cripps, because you all believe everything is fine.
As for Stocker I don't care, I hope he goes well But I feel sorry for him as guys like you will turn on him if he has one bad year.
Too us he is the player Carlton selected with Pick 19.
We didn't have pick 19 though.

We didn't have pick 19 though.

I am Sorry, I must be mistaken, Can you tell which Club used Pick 19 on Liam Stocker, if Carlton did not have pick 19,
Because I was pretty damn sure, I heard Gill McLachlan say "Pick 19 Carlton Football Club has selected Liam Stocker from the Sandringham Dragons"

I am Sorry, I must be mistaken, Can you tell which Club used Pick 19 on Liam Stocker, if Carlton did not have pick 19,
Because I was pretty damn sure, I heard Gill McLachlan say "Pick 19 Carlton Football Club has selected Liam Stocker from the Sandringham Dragons"
OK How did we get pick 19 with which we drafted Liam Stocker?

Our cream type players really struggle in our side over the last couple of years.
This is fair enough.
We got our Lambert a few years ago.
Gibbons hopefully ends up a similar caliber for the Blues.

Big fan of supporting the talent in the second tier comps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back