Club Legend
Sep 11, 2003
Shelbyville
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Good write-up here:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-31/the-stats-files-small-hawk-up-there-with-games-greats

Breust is in the argument for top 5 Small forwards of all time.

Here is a comparison of him And Betts (as similar players and contemporaries)
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=11&type=A&pid1=1547&pid2=3219&fid1=C&fid2=C

And a comparison with Statistically the best Small Fwd (Stephen Milne), is still close.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...id2=11&type=A&pid1=59&pid2=3219&fid1=C&fid2=C

Now, all the players from the 2008 draft are handy, but none of them will be considered all time greats in their position.

With Season goal tallies in his career of:

40*
57*
52*
(Flag years)

Luke Breust will be.

Stop making the mistake of overvaluing midfielders.

I have real trouble placing Nic Nat. When up and running he was clearly the most influential player in this draft and worthy of number 1. Given his injury history though I have don't see him ever getting back to that form which means I have trouble taking him in the top 10 considering that the other players likely have 2-3 year of peak football left .

For a similar reason I'm not as high on Hannebery who if he doesn't turn it around this year could well be cooked.

And I rate Walters with the group you've mentioned.

My list would be:

1. Beams
2. Hurley
3. Sloane
4. Shuey
5. Sidebottom
6. Hannebery
7. Bruest
8. Davis
9. Walters
10. Nic Nat

Sloane, Shuey and Sidebottom are hard to split and wouldn't object to putting them all above Hurley given he had an average 2018 by his standards .
Yeah NikNat was the hard one to place. Still think his peak is superior to the chasing group, hence why I had him at 6 but I could see how you could have him as low as 10.

I reckon Walters is a gun and would have him probably slipping in at 10. But has his peak been as good as the top 9? I'm not so sure

Good write-up here:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-31/the-stats-files-small-hawk-up-there-with-games-greats

Breust is in the argument for top 5 Small forwards of all time.

Here is a comparison of him And Betts (as similar players and contemporaries)
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=11&type=A&pid1=1547&pid2=3219&fid1=C&fid2=C

And a comparison with Statistically the best Small Fwd (Stephen Milne), is still close.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...id2=11&type=A&pid1=59&pid2=3219&fid1=C&fid2=C

Now, all the players from the 2008 draft are handy, but none of them will be considered all time greats in their position.

With Season goal tallies in his career of:

40*
57*
52*
(Flag years)

Luke Breust will be.

Stop making the mistake of overvaluing midfielders.
So you are saying that Breust would go number 1 if this draft was redone?

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah NikNat was the hard one to place. Still think his peak is superior to the chasing group, hence why I had him at 6 but I could see how you could have him as low as 10.

I reckon Walters is a gun and would have him probably slipping in at 10. But has his peak been as good as the top 9? I'm not so sure

I think his peak is just as good . Probably hasn't put together full seasons of the others though .

MadMaxx

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2003
Shelbyville
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
So you are saying that Breust would go number 1 if this draft was redone?

That always depends on the needs of who had the pick, but he would be a shot.

A 40-50 goal forward? Consistent EVERY year of his career since debut.. One with four tackles a game, in an era where fwd50 pressure is so important.. One with a 61% career accuracy....

NicNat, if uninjured would be the only one from that draft who's impact could/would be on par, but the rest of them are merely "good-to-great" mids, of which there are 10-15 in EVERY draft.

Yeah

MadMaxx

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2003
Shelbyville
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Clubs don't pick on needs when they have pick one. It's always best available.

So, on output since 2008, who has had a greater impact to their teams than Breust?

We are talking with the benefit of hindsight on what we KNOW they have produced..

The midfielders listed are not even regarded as the best at their clubs currently. (Sloane probably is these days, but for most of his career was behind danger)

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
So, on output since 2008, who has had a greater impact to their teams than Breust?

We are talking with the benefit of hindsight on what we KNOW they have produced..

The midfielders listed are not even regarded as the best at their clubs currently. (Sloane probably is these days, but for most of his career was behind danger)
I'm not interested in the Breust argument. I couldn't care less.

I pointed out what I set to point out.

I think his peak is just as good . Probably hasn't put together full seasons of the others though .
Yeah I meant a season of form.

I can definately see your reasoning for having them in the order you do

That always depends on the needs of who had the pick, but he would be a shot.

A 40-50 goal forward? Consistent EVERY year of his career since debut.. One with four tackles a game, in an era where fwd50 pressure is so important.. One with a 61% career accuracy....

NicNat, if uninjured would be the only one from that draft who's impact could/would be on par, but the rest of them are merely "good-to-great" mids, of which there are 10-15 in EVERY draft.

Yeah
I guess that is why the small forwards are normally drafted so high.

Tbf most top level small forwards try to turn themselves into midfielders and don't stay as forwards

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I have real trouble placing Nic Nat. When up and running he was clearly the most influential player in this draft and worthy of number 1. Given his injury history though I have don't see him ever getting back to that form which means I have trouble taking him in the top 10 considering that the other players likely have 2-3 year of peak football left .

For a similar reason I'm not as high on Hannebery who if he doesn't turn it around this year could well be cooked.

And I rate Walters with the group you've mentioned.

My list would be:

1. Beams
2. Hurley
3. Sloane
4. Shuey
5. Sidebottom
6. Hannebery
7. Bruest
8. Davis
9. Walters
10. Nic Nat

Sloane, Shuey and Sidebottom are hard to split and wouldn't object to putting them all above Hurley given he had an average 2018 by his standards .
Hurley is good, but come on dude. There is zero chance any other club would take Hurley at 2 over the remaining top 10, other than maybe Hanners

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
He was a club champion in a bottom 6 team

I am aware. Considering his best has been top 15 in the competition, it was still a considerable level below that not making the 40 man AA squad and was lucky to win it over Howe who was stiff to miss AA.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Alrighty then. As this thread interests you...
How about putting your own opinion down then on the OP's topic? I notice you haven't posted anything as yet..
Hmm

Never pick a player at pick one who's soft and doesn't have an appetite for the contest. Natural courage in the air can't be taught.

Hannebery's best has been better than Sidebottom's, but Sidebottom has had a more consistent career.

Hurley is underrated.

Phil Davis was an inspired choice by Adelaide. He was considered a bolter.

Beams is the most talented mid in that draft.

And you're only as good as your last finals series. How did Breust go ?

Just joking. He's been one of the great draft choices. But I'll nearly always rate great mids over flankers - even if the margin is narrow. Unless, of course, you're of Bruce Doull's ilk.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Breust was the 122th pick in the 2008 draft, easily in the top 5 from this draft.
Yeh I just went to Wikipedia and did a quick scan through I didn't read every name, was Bruest a rookie pick or something? Either way the draft has produced a lot of players who have reached a very good standard.

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I feel like Dan Hannebery is being judged too harshly for 2018. It's like discounting Wayne Carey as a great for his twilight years at Adelaide. In any case, people are too quick to forget that between 2012 and 2016, Hannebery was an absolute monster of a player and every bit as capable as the best at breaking a game wide open. He was immense. Also, he's played 200+ games. He's hardly at the same level as NicNat as far as injuries are concerned, and even then, NicNat has still played 150+ games and will likely retire with over 200, which is actually pretty good for a ruckman. Realistically, Hannebery has the high chance of retiring with over 300 games, too.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Now that they're all approaching the twilight years of their career, it's probably best to rank them based on their last 7-8 seasons in conjunction with their durability and achievement. At their respective peaks, I'd have Naitanui, Beams and Hannebury in the top 3, but the length of their peak + seasonal game-count makes them slide by different margins.

Naitanui and Beams slide due to durability reasons, Hannebury slide as he was only in that elite midfielder category for 2 years.

In terms of overall contribution up to date:
1. Steele Sidebottom

Call me biased all you want, he's been a top 25/30 player in the comp for about 7 years in a row now, having played all across the ground, as outside mid/inside mid/half-forward/small forward-half-back, has won a premiership, came 2nd in the most recent brownlow and looks to be just about the best player from this draft currently. Also a bottom ager, as of this moment still 27, being 7-11 months younger than most players from this draft

2. Rory Sloane

Played exceptionally well with and without Danger. Significantly better than his disposal numbers suggest, and when you get tagged week in week out as a pure inside mid... That just shows how effective he is around contests and how much he allows his teammates to get into the game.

3. Dayne Beams

See above

4. Daniel Hannebury

See above

5. Luke Breust
Precise, efficient and creative. Will always remain underrated compare to the mids but at the end of the day, he just doesn't have that match-winning ability that others have. He seizes the opportunities presented rather than be the player that creates them.

6. Luke Shuey

Pretty much only earnt this spot from his grand final game against the pies. Was half the reason eagles got remotely close to being in the game for most of the game. I mean, how many players across the whole league can you say was the difference between winning a premiership or not. Shuey's 1 game in the grand final has already justified Eagles' selection in the draft.

7. Michael Hurley

Touted/regarded as an elite/top key defender recently but I don't see it. Wasted his years up forward early on in his career and even recently I think his values in rebounding rather than actual defending. Has still been good enough and arguably worth the early pick they used on him. Also looks to be quite fit for his 2019 compaign, could continue to rise up the ranks.

8. Nic Naitanui

Oh what he could've been...

9. Liam Shiels

Team player, been a B+ midfielder for years and has retained his ball-winning ability as he ages.

10. Stephen Hill

Was one of the league's premier wingman for a couple of seasons awhile back. Unfortunately appears to be struggling with injury and I'm close to writing him off...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back