Training 2019 Preseason + Operations

For those who've had surgery before, was it a success?

• Yep! So glad I got it done. 100% symptom-free!

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Yes, mostly. Some symptoms have returned, but still better than prior to surgery

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • Yes, partially. It helped initially, but symptoms have returned similarly to the past

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Yes, but there were some complications in the first few weeks

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • No, I got extra pain/infection/bleeding, and didn't feel better

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Milera so far has played midfield, wing HB and has spent some small amount of time forward, with this in mind easily his best footy has been across HB.

Moving Milera to the midfield does not necessarily mean that his late 2018 form will roll over to the midfield, there is a risk that further chopping and changing of his role so early in his career could actually disrupt his 2018 late season form.

I am one that is a strong advocate of Jnr spending another season at HB with maybe gradually increasing his midfield time as we journey through the season

I agree with what your saying here. And it wasnt that long ago that I was begging for him to be ONLY played across the half back line, rather than being shunted to fit in Mackay or other players. But prior to him breaking out across half back, he didn't really have any great form in any position. The fact that he really took it to the next level across HB doesn't mean he will be able to transition that into the midfeild as you say. But it doesnt mean he wont either. We just don't know what he can do in any position now. He has changed as a footballer. He stepped up to another level altogether. All of the prior form he had in previous seasons may not be a good guide anymore.

Milera so far has played midfield, wing HB and has spent some small amount of time forward, with this in mind easily his best footy has been across HB.

Moving Milera to the midfield does not necessarily mean that his late 2018 form will roll over to the midfield, there is a risk that further chopping and changing of his role so early in his career could actually disrupt his 2018 late season form.

I am one that is a strong advocate of Jnr spending another season at HB with maybe gradually increasing his midfield time as we journey through the season
100% this! I mentioned it earlier. I have no problem with him going in there, but not as a full time MID. The guys just had a breakout year playing in a new role, asking him to change roles again the following season is a risk (even if it could reap massive rewards).

I think the slow build to the midfield will do him wonders and also get the most out of him as a crazy good HBFer along the way. And if we make finals he may well be ready to assume a more full time role by that point.

I agree with what your saying here. And it wasnt that long ago that I was begging for him to be ONLY played across the half back line, rather than being shunted to fit in Mackay or other players. But prior to him breaking out across half back, he didn't really have any great form in any position. The fact that he really took it to the next level across HB doesn't mean he will be able to transition that into the midfeild as you say. But it doesnt mean he wont either. We just don't know what he can do in any position now. He has changed as a footballer. He stepped up to another level altogether. All of the prior form he had in previous seasons may not be a good guide anymore.
Huh???? .......he plays this year (2019) still a 21 you ......expectations were unrealsitic on a young player

BTW he played 2 games towards the years end in 2018 thru the midfield .......our midfield needs more pace & elite kicking skills ....Milera is the deliverer

Milera with his accurate kicking along with Seed & his long bombs on the wings will be great for the forwards.

Smith mainly back onto the HBF where he is a elite with the odd inclusion on a wing.

Getting B Crouch back into the midfield will be a huge inclusion, lets hope Saunders earns his coin and Brad can play a major role for us this year.

B Crouch, M Crouch, Gibbs, Sloane, Douglas, Greenwood, Gallucci, Knight, Atkins, Milera, Seedsman, Laird, Smith, MacKay with possibly McHenry, Jones, Poholke all in the mix to run in mid & wing rotations gives us a lot of depth and variance.

*Obviously all not being named in the same 22.

Midfield for mine. Brad and Milera into the mids completely changes our dynamic from one-paced followers and adds some evasive break-away capacity.

Reckon he will thrive in there, candy-selling and side-stepping his way to glory.
Milera, Gallucci, Knight and Jones should rotate through the midfield at times I hope. Will give us the added speed and 2 way running lacking last season. Wouldn't mind seeing Laird given some time in the midfield as well.

Huh???? .......he plays this year (2019) still a 21 you ......expectations were unrealsitic on a young player

BTW he played 2 games towards the years end in 2018 thru the midfield .......our midfield needs more pace & elite kicking skills ....Milera is the deliverer

That is kind of my point. We gave him the gold pass early. We got those games into him and now we reap the reward. But the form he may have showed in the midfield or up forward while we were getting those games into him were before he stepped up a level. I would expect him to go into those other roles as a much better player than we saw previously. We have really only seen him play outstanding footy off the HB line. But he has got all of the tools to be a really high quality mid.

You say he played 2 games as a mid. I dont think that has shown us he is a mid just yet. There is a difference between having a run through the middle, like even Betts does, versus being part of that midfield rotation that we call upon week in week out to win us games. I feel that we need to get him playing some of that outstanding footy early on in 2019 in his most comfortable position. Once he gets that under his belt, he can take that confidence with him into the midfield. I am not in favour of us waiting until 2020, but I think he could get lost if we just throw him straight in and take away that security that there is a half back flank position for him there.

Milera's role this season will be fascinating. A lot of people will want him to go into the midfield straight away but personally I hope he spends the lions share of his time running off the HBF. His play last season was electric and he suits running at the ball from a kick behind. I dont want him to change his role too drastically and see him lose any of the confident play we saw last year.

I have no doubt that he eventually goes into the midfield for us, but this season I think he would be best served doing it in 5 minute bursts at the end of quarters. Maybe increasing in the second half of blow out games.
We do have other options to play that role off the half back line in Smith and Seedsman. A good position for the club to be in.

My apologies, I wasn't aware we had anointed Milera the new McLeod ;)

I must have missed that one.
We haven’t, it’s the belief that we have to be so structured with our thinking. Blight wasn’t out best coach because he sat on his hands based on a preordained plan. He moved with the game and took risks. Coaches these days are just planners.

That is kind of my point. We gave him the gold pass early. We got those games into him and now we reap the reward. But the form he may have showed in the midfield or up forward while we were getting those games into him were before he stepped up a level. I would expect him to go into those other roles as a much better player than we saw previously. We have really only seen him play outstanding footy off the HB line. But he has got all of the tools to be a really high quality mid.

You say he played 2 games as a mid. I dont think that has shown us he is a mid just yet. There is a difference between having a run through the middle, like even Betts does, versus being part of that midfield rotation that we call upon week in week out to win us games. I feel that we need to get him playing some of that outstanding footy early on in 2019 in his most comfortable position. Once he gets that under his belt, he can take that confidence with him into the midfield. I am not in favour of us waiting until 2020, but I think he could get lost if we just throw him straight in and take away that security that there is a half back flank position for him there.
Maybe by selectors, but this forum gave him a hard time over his contested game year 2 .......there's a reason Milera is running the 2km trials this year, that he wasn't last year ......and my take is a planned midfield / wing role

Yeah I like McHenry a lot now. I'll admit I was a bit downtrodden when his name was read out on draft night, but glad I held back from melting down before checking him out properly.

And now, everything I see and read about the kid I really like!

Very much this for me as well. I really didn't get it when we drafted him, but I am really coming around to him.

100% this! I mentioned it earlier. I have no problem with him going in there, but not as a full time MID. The guys just had a breakout year playing in a new role, asking him to change roles again the following season is a risk (even if it could reap massive rewards).

I think the slow build to the midfield will do him wonders and also get the most out of him as a crazy good HBFer along the way. And if we make finals he may well be ready to assume a more full time role by that point.
He won't be a full time mid ......but the time is right, year 4 .....he's ready, no use playing it safe

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to see Hartigan doing some decent sprint work after skipping the time trial, but Douglas mentioning Talia has had 'a few little hiccups' doesn't sound too good.

Knight can't take a trick, his body doesn't seem able to handle AFL level training and games.

Very happy to hear the Gooch is back on track.

The thing that’s most exciting is we have genuine fringe players with genuine chances to be playing in round 1 or anytime during this year when injuries occur. Everyone’s pushing for spots all over the ground.

We couldn’t say the same in 2017 when we were a premiership threat. No real standout fringe players then, and we suffered accordingly when McGovern and Smith had gotten injured come the major rounds.

Of course this year, we’re hoping injuries are kept to a minimum. However, what’s exciting is that we are more better equipped to cover injuries with a nice bunch of young stock. And players who were previously regulars can no longer be complacent as they once perhaps were say 1-2 years ago!

He won't be a full time mid ......but the time is right, year 4 .....he's ready, no use playing it safe
No reason why we can’t switch him in both HBF and mid rotations. If he can be a consistent midfield contributor, then we stick him there for good!

I also don’t mind see him float in forward zones every now and then to mix things up. He’s actually a good goal sneak, from what I can see of him in his early games with us.

No reason why we can’t switch him in both HBF and mid rotations. If he can be a consistent midfield contributor, then we stick him there for good!

I also don’t mind see him float in forward zones every now and then to mix things up. He’s actually a good goal sneak, from what I can see of him in his early games with us.
No ! .....we have the forward line well covered .....our issue has been midfield pace & forward delivery ......Brouch & Milera adds some pace, but Brouch's disposal is not elite .....we need the likes of Milera & Seedsman delivering to the frwd line

Maybe by selectors, but this forum gave him a hard time over his contested game year 2 .......there's a reason Milera is running the 2km trials this year, that he wasn't last year ......and my take is a planned midfield / wing role

I always said he would come good and dont worry about him :) But he probably took longer than I was expecting to add that physicality to his game. With Wayne I think you have to give all of us fans a bit of a pass if anybody was getting worried about him. After all, he was what we got for losing Danger and thats a hard thing to come to terms with even now. Did it cost us our 3rd flag, we will never know.

I am pretty sure everyone runs the trials every year if fit so not sure that is related to where his intended role is. But I didnt actually realise that he was so good aerobically. Very bullish about what the future holds for young Wayne and him winning the time trials wasn't even part of the equation so that just adds to the excitement.

I always said he would come good and dont worry about him :) But he probably took longer than I was expecting to add that physicality to his game. With Wayne I think you have to give all of us fans a bit of a pass if anybody was getting worried about him. After all, he was what we got for losing Danger and thats a hard thing to come to terms with even now. Did it cost us our 3rd flag, we will never know.

I am pretty sure everyone runs the trials every year if fit so not sure that is related to where his intended role is. But I didnt actually realise that he was so good aerobically. Very bullish about what the future holds for young Wayne and him winning the time trials wasn't even part of the equation so that just adds to the excitement.
But Wayne did say last year, he'd have to get his fitness up, if he were to play midfield ......just put 1 +1 together

Back