Society/Culture Support for Big Australia falls dramatically.

Remove this Banner Ad

I didnt say every japanese person. Where did you get that from? But these are people who as a whole would prefer to suffer falls in living standards rather than dilute the gene pool with immigrants.

I got it from you, and I quote "because they are racist". You didn't specify which of the Japanese are or are not, so one can only assume you were referring to the whole race.

They are trying to increase it though. They are just failing because they are racist and refuse to increase immigration.
It's more to do with having incredibly low birthrates - some reports suggest a high proportion of young adults prefer online relationships to real ones.

The research cited housing costs and traffic congestion the primary reasons.

So what do we really want, population control for Australia or population control for Sydney and Melbourne?
Excellent point - where was the survey? In country towns struggling to survive I'm sure they'd welcome people with open arms. Polling in a major city on one of the many days the public transport system failed in Melbourne or Sydney would no doubt elicit a different response.

People care more about amenity than words like 'high' or 'low' immigration which are neither defined nor substantiated.

It's more to do with having incredibly low birthrates - some reports suggest a high proportion of young adults prefer online relationships to real ones.
Yes they do have very low birth rates and the way to overcome that is immigration. Ive spoken to many japanese officials and academics over the years about why dont they use immigration to help solve their low birth rate issue and the answer is always about purity of bloodlines and how no political party is willing to bring up the topic for fear of the public debate it would unleash. Japan is a very conservative nation on social issues.

I got it from you, and I quote "because they are racist". You didn't specify which of the Japanese are or are not, so one can only assume you were referring to the whole race.

Thats a ridiculous assumption. We always talk about relatvities with other nations of the average person when we say the people of such a nation are such and such.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Full of what? Natives who lived a simple life with high murder rates and low life expectancy. Natives who created mass genocide of all australias giant marsupials when they immigrated 40,000 years ago. What exactly?

plus they used hunting techniques that altered the landscape and climate.

I didnt say every japanese person. Where did you get that from? But these are people who as a whole would prefer to suffer falls in living standards rather than dilute the gene pool with immigrants.

I don't think there is much evidence to suggest that in spite of reducing population that their quality of life has fallen significantly or even at all. Does a lower population growth really have to mean standard of living drops, the permanent pursuit of GDP growth is at the expense of demographics has its own burdens which are only now being felt.

Japan is an extreme example anyway, we aren't talking about sending our population backwards but controlling our growth, currently seeing nearly 1% net immigration a year is very high, support is waning because the average person doesn't feel the benefits only the pain that increased population brings even if those benefits may be real.

People want to see the effect of falling population only have to visit one of the many towns that have been in decline over recent decades.

I am very much in the pro-big Australia camp but I also know full well that governments from both sides have been poor long term planners which has resulted in many of today's problems.

Yes they do have very low birth rates and the way to overcome that is immigration. Ive spoken to many japanese officials and academics over the years about why dont they use immigration to help solve their low birth rate issue and the answer is always about purity of bloodlines and how no political party is willing to bring up the topic for fear of the public debate it would unleash. Japan is a very conservative nation on social issues.
It's an interesting perspective - one of the birthrate programs mentioned that fourth generation Koreans were still considered to be Korean and not Japanese.

The research cited housing costs and traffic congestion the primary reasons.

So what do we really want, population control for Australia or population control for Sydney and Melbourne?

This.

This is the core issue. Not that the country as a whole can't support a larger population, but that we all want to crowd into a couple of mega-cities which are at least a century out of date in terms of their fundamental layout and transport corridor backbones.

Building 20 cities the size of Hobart or Canberra spread around the country over the next 25 years would be doable. Doubling the size of Sydney and Melbourne, and expanding Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide to the size of current day Sydney is not.

Aren't most people in agreement that the world is overpopulated?

If you believe this then why would you want a country to keep trying to increase its population?

I would rather have population stability, even if there is going to be a high amount of pensioners thanks to the baby boomers why not just ride that problem out? With birthrates currently quite low in 50+ years time there won't be a problem with too many pensioners?

If you believe this then why would you want a country to keep trying to increase its population?

I would rather have population stability, even if there is going to be a high amount of pensioners thanks to the baby boomers why not just ride that problem out? With birthrates currently quite low in 50+ years time there won't be a problem with too many pensioners?

They are separate issues

Interestingly the demographic most supportive of high migration are Greens voters. Which makes no sense for a political party supposedly formed to champion environmental issues. High population is at the core of virtually all environmental harm.
Um its global population that matters for climate change. Immigration has no effect on it. Many greenies do advocate lowering fertility rates. Something i disagree with but they are at least consistent with their population views and its impact on environment. Where greenies are inconsistent is not in their views on populatiom but on their views on trade and trying to end poverty.

Last edited:

Why is the world overpopulated? Ive never heard a good argument saying it is. What does overpopulated even mean? World poverty levels are falling. The world is about to hit a turning point where agriculture land will start shrinking because we dont need as much of it as we used to in order to feed the world. Co2 emissions are hitting unsustainable levels but we already have the tech to fix that problem as well.

Even if overpopulation was a problem immigration has no effect on overpopulation unless the immigrants are coming from other planets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back