Training 2019 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't be surprised should CCurnow also find his way into becoming an on-field leader. He may yet surprise.

I have no doubt. Charlie is the leader of the next generation. The younger players all love him and his attitude is first class. Trains as hard as anyone and takes his football seriously.

He is a special player!

It can be interesting to see how a culture develops.. In some groups it can be about being too cool for school and not being too enthusiastic, not too supportive of other etc there's almost a competition of who give give the least ****s. I used to get that feeling from our boys sometimes in years gone by and by some of our better players.
But sometimes the opposite can happen where high achievement and doing more, showing more and supporting more is seen as the "cool" thing. I would love to see that kind of attitude filter through the whole group, it's optimistic and hopeful rather than cynical.

I'm confident you'll get what you want now for two reasons....three really.

1. Leadership: Would have liked for the changeover to have taken place in 2017, but never mind. It's with us now.
It was always going to signal the end of the old and the start of the new. This is not a slight on Murphy, but was an important thing to come about.

2. Recruiting/Drafting: It's clear that we're bringing coachable and self-driven players to the club, now.
We'll get some that may not fit in as much as we thought they may and even if we miss on the odd champ here or there, it seems to me the sum of the parts will make up for this.

3. The drive by the club to change the culture we had.
It's a really difficult thing to change, as part of that means having to change oneself and that starts at board level and filters all the way through.
I feel that when we were lost, we chanced our arm with Bolton allowing him to be the driver. Too big a task for one individual but we have to be thankful to Bolton for taking it on, even if it may have cost him personally, in the early days.

As much as we enjoyed some of the on-field efforts of guys like Yarran, Grigg, Waite, Garlett and many more, they weren't part of adding to the whole and in fact at times, took away from the group. That's not happening now. It's not allowed to happen.

I have no doubt. Charlie is the leader of the next generation. The younger players all love him and his attitude is first class. Trains as hard as anyone and takes his football seriously.

He is a special player!

As I said earlier, he has that Andrew Walker aura about him at training. One just can't turn away.

Don't think we consistently saw the best of Walker. Loss.

It can be interesting to see how a culture develops.. In some groups it can be about being too cool for school and not being too enthusiastic, not too supportive of other etc there's almost a competition of who give give the least ****s. I used to get that feeling from our boys sometimes in years gone by and by some of our better players.

But sometimes the opposite can happen where high achievement and doing more, showing more and supporting more is seen as the "cool" thing. I would love to see that kind of attitude filter through the whole group, it's optimistic and hopeful rather than cynical.
With Cripps and Doc as captains that is exactly what we will get or the player won’t be there long. With these 2 Captains doing the extras will be the bear minimum they will expect, if you dont toe the line you will wear the consequences, which is not playing for the mighty Carlton Football Club as we chase and get flag number 17,18,19,20. End of story

Last edited:
As I said earlier, he has that Andrew Walker aura about him at training. One just can't turn away.

We need to get him back in some coaching capacity if nothing else for the indigenous boys. Add Eddie Betts to that to when he retires would be a great coach for the small forwards, what a loss he was.

I only made it to the last half of training, couple of things I noticed. Cripps flexibility and movement was just incredible for a big guy. He looks refreshed and ready for a big campaign. Charlie is just a beast, has just this essence about him. Feels like any balls he wants to mark he just will and goal kicking is so natural. We have the buddy Franklin 2.0
Other than that I thought the skills from a lot of players wasn’t fantastic and there was not enough voice or energy from the group. Watching training brings back memory’s would love to still be playing footy...

Has the aura but I reckon he will be 10 times the player & leader Walker ever was. The great thing about Charlie is he is very close with Ed. Great example to follow

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to get him back in some coaching capacity if nothing else for the indigenous boys. Add Eddie Betts to that to when he retires would be a great coach for the small forwards, what a loss he was.

We have Mifusd who is close to them. Being very well looked after. Once again the club has seen an issue and addressed it with a quality appointment.

A few comments on training, including Friday.

Open sessions always brings a pep in the step for the younger blokes!

All in all just a bit of a run around.

Player watch:
Murphy, flying. Fitter now than the last 3 years.
Walsh, not surprised. Gun, professional, sponge. Look out round 1.
Charlie, see above.
JSOS, in everything, doing it right.
BSOS, caught up!
Just on the Silvani boys, you can say they were both held back in their junior years, especially Ben by their father. SOS has seen too many kids burn out before or when they make it. Watch this space!
Setters, hmmm. I’m struggling being patient with this bloke. Could really explode if let off the leash.
Kruz, fit, fit, fit. Leaner than ever.
Cas, see above.
H is the big one. Grabbing everything and just doesn’t miss. Plenty think the penny has dropped and application has caught up to his talent. If he gets no.2 defender, look out...!

SPS, gifted. One grab and gets through traffic, helps that he’s had his first preseason!
Bugg, clean and ******* hard.
Simo, see 2018.
Plow, lean. Running into if the ground. Looks better.
Dow, forget Friday. Built up and quick. This bloke and Murph could cut sides to threads with run.
Phillips, hmmm. 2 rucks this year?

Game style.
Kicks on the 45 deg.
Give hands first runner.
Longer kicking as well as lead ups into forward line. We have some speed up there.
Dare I use the term ‘mosquito fleet’...
Aggressive in close, harder tackling and making it stick, no excuses.
3 talls up front...

On a side not, fitness department is at new level. Definitely gone from a Holden to a Mercedes...

gibbs was a deadset repeat offender and captain of the throw it on the boot brigade - which was crazy when you consider how good his kicking could be...
I think the good players always do. The truly elite dont but the good just get if forward and in actuality.. that's what wins footy games a lot of the time.

Richmond's game was based on just getting the thing forward

Great to see Murphy running laps after all the other players have left the track

#Murphyismongrellingup

That's video made me think Murphy looked bigger.
All the talk has been that our boys are leaner and fitter
Many have said Murph looks fitter but can anyone comment on him looking bigger in the upper body?

If he does play on the wing then being fit and lean is required but if he is required in the middle or rotates thru half forward then maybe upper body strength will be handy to make tackles stick

Whatever the answer I think we need Murph to play on over the next few years as his experience and others like Simmo or Ed will be needed when we challenge from 2020 onwards.

ask a forward if that's how he wants the ball delivered - like most here I saw his entire career and just shook my head whenever he did it - panicky kicking without even looking is no sign of a quality player.....

That's video made me think Murphy looked bigger.
All the talk has been that our boys are leaner and fitter
Many have said Murph looks fitter but can anyone comment on him looking bigger in the upper body?

If he does play on the wing then being fit and lean is required but if he is required in the middle or rotates thru half forward then maybe upper body strength will be handy to make tackles stick

Whatever the answer I think we need Murph to play on over the next few years as his experience and others like Simmo or Ed will be needed when we challenge from 2020 onwards.

Not bigger at all.
Always felt he was a little too big in recent years, but he seems to be lighter on his feet and moving as well as I recall him moving.

Remember when they stacked all that weight onto Kreuzer some years ago?
He killed it in his first game back with that weight and then that weight killed him.

Weight alone wasn't the answer for Kreuzer and it shouldn't have been for Murphy.

Not bigger at all.
Always felt he was a little too big in recent years, but he seems to be lighter on his feet and moving as well as I recall him moving.

Remember when they stacked all that weight onto Kreuzer some years ago?
He killed it in his first game back with that weight and then that weight killed him.

Weight alone wasn't the answer for Kreuzer and it shouldn't have been for Murphy.
Murphy is getting ready to be the lead runner in our side and the one that teaches the young guys when and where to run and overlap the play which I think will be a big part of our game this year. We will hit some pinpoint passes coming out of defence and then the half backs and mids will run and overlap in waves, this is the way our extra numbers behind the ball can benefit us the most and open up our forward line for some good one on one contests. Murphy’s running power is tailor made for this role now that he is not needed as much in the guts he can really start to roll and be the damaging player he was when younger. I think we will really see some exciting run and gun footy this year with Murph, Willo, Fish, Samo, Obrien, Walsh, Setters, Stockman and of course Simmo all slingshotting the ball forward at breakneck speed to our big sticky mitted forwards. Exciting to think about isn’t it. Imagine our forwards getting 55-60+ inside 50s a game it is a scary thought for opposition sides.

ask a forward if that's how he wants the ball delivered - like most here I saw his entire career and just shook my head whenever he did it - panicky kicking without even looking is no sign of a quality player.....

Gibbs was a genuine quality player and a quality person.

2016 Bryce was A grade bordering on Elite. Game where he single handedly tore the Suns a new one particularly sticks out to me.

I agree he was a bit of a repeat offender of bang it on the boot and see what happens, but he was a much better midfielder than QB (for lack of a better word)

Adelaide clearly thought he was quality enough to pay 2 x 1st rounders when he was 28 years old. Thats top dollar and you don't give that up for scrubs.

There are areas every player can get better at, and that was definitely one for him. But all in all he was quality, didn't want to see him go (but more than glad with what came back for him) and wish him all the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back