Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
So with just 42 days left until the season opening game. We are going to get the usual Carlton should not be in the opening game and it should be the grand final teams conversation.

I actually don’t mind these 2 teams kicking off the season opener but this year I think will be the end of these 2 opening the season.

Richmond have added 1 of the best forwards in the competition to their already high scoring forward line.

Carlton have added McGovern which will be good for their forward line with a guy who can take some huge pack marks.

The injuries that Carlton have had this preseason are going to force a lot of their players to sit out round 1 or be really under done.

I think there is a massive chance that we could see a 100 - 150 point win to Richmond in the season opener. The AFL would need to seriously look at changing the opener if that happens.

Can a Richmond supporter put their best 22 team up and a Carlton supporter put their best 22 up with players that are injured and are likely to miss round 1?

Early tip, Richmond by 20-50; Richmond almost never start well against Carlton, and traditionally dont play that well in this game besides winning them recently. The Blues kicked the first 5 goals of the game last year. I fully expect Richmond to win, but I don't see it being more than 50 points and wouldn't suprise if its a lot less and you have nuffies saying oh Richmond are s**t, cant even smash the Blues (literally happens every year).

My thoughts on the season opener? GF rematch, unfurl the flag and Premiers host. So this year should be Eagles vs Pies at Optus.

The opening game of the season should not be a 4 points winning bye for the Tigers.

I doubt I will watch it. There is only so much savage fun one can get from watching blue witches' hats.

Of course some team will always get a free kick four points in the opening round, but why the Tigers?

Why not fixture the first round around where teams finished up at the end of the previous season? This would mean the Blues playing the GoCo, Pies v West Coast etc.

FWIW, I would be happy to watch the GoCo play the Blues in the opener. It would also help interest in and membership of both struggling Clubs.

If they keep pulling 80k+ why change?

Really who cares if they are bringing 80k supporters. All supporters of other teams have been waiting 6 months for footy to be back, so why serve up something that could be a 100 score difference.

A packed out stadium in Perth with 60k, with west coast getting the premiership flag out would be more enjoyable to watch and have better atmosphere than 80k at the mcg wouldn’t it ?

As easy as it is to hang s**t on Carlton, they've been very competitive in the opening matches against the Tigers. Apart from round 1 2017, the opening games have all been competitive and close. In fact, when its come to opening game floggings it's Carlton giving it Richmond if you look up the history.

As easy as it is to hang s**t on Carlton, they've been very competitive in the opening matches against the Tigers. Apart from round 1 2017, the opening games have all been competitive and close. In fact, when its come to opening game floggings it's Carlton giving it Richmond if you look up the history.

If Carlton smash us,all is forgiven but if we win,the victim cards come out.

Yep. The matchup looks horrific on paper but in reality it hasn’t been too bad, they flogged us twice in 09-10 but other than that it’s never been over 50. That said, I’m happy for it to be shared around, don’t really care either way.

It's sort of traditional. And it's a way for the AFL to get a huge game no matter what. The competitive games then come later.

Having said that, if another couple fo clubs with a huge rivalry played first up, that's be fine too.

It is the worst time to play Carlton. They lately have had no depth, and get tired, but that only creates floggings later in the season.

Round one they are rested and usually have their best team in, hence it is rarely a flogging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a good game last year between two big four clubs. This fixture should definitely stay. Will get 95k plus.

last year match was actually one of my favourite games of the year (only watched til three quarter time) carlton first half shocked everyone but usually feels like that because were all footy deprived

also the crowd would of been huge last year because the last game before that was richmonds flag so ofcourse their supporters made it there

It is the worst time to play Carlton. They lately have had no depth, and get tired, but that only creates floggings later in the season.

Round one they are rested and usually have their best team in, hence it is rarely a flogging.

As much as I hate teams getting marquee fixtures every year you make a good point about young sides being much more difficult early in the season rather than later.

Jesus christ, it's a bit early for a preview thread isn't it. game is in 6 weeks not tonight.
Probably some kid not back at school yet.

I reckon Thursday next week will be 31 degrees and the night of this match Carlton win by 3 points with SPS and McKay on fire.
Six weeks from game it is as likely as any prediction of what actually unfolds.

I still think GF rematch would be great as the first up game while its still relevant. Yeah I know that it would draw a booster crowd at other times as well so it might not be needed for round 1 but lets look at what happened last year. Richmond vs Adelaide round 2. How is that much different anyway? Plus I think it would build anticipation for the first game of the season beyond what the existing match can do.

Anyway not a big deal and if it stays as is I think its fine as long as crowds continue to be strong.

Carlton always have a good crack in Round 1, it's just the rest of the season they go down hill. Won't be a walk over like most people are trolling.

Richmond by 21

Traditionally play well against Richmond in round 1. Like last year, I predict Carlton will fall away later in the game.

Richmond by 15

One year Carlton will win a season opener and all of a sudden there will be an outpouring of joy and excitement and call for the Season Opener to never change. Honestly, while both clubs continue to generate interest and spectators, the AFL will continue to play them in Round One. This Groundhog Day preseason day argument does get a little boring...

One year Carlton will win a season opener and all of a sudden there will be an outpouring of joy and excitement and call for the Season Opener to never change. Honestly, while both clubs continue to generate interest and spectators, the AFL will continue to play them in Round One. This Groundhog Day preseason day argument does get a little boring...

It was only 5 seasons ago that the Blues would always beat us, the problem was we were so crap. One year both teams will be on the up and it will be like the good old days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back