Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Absolutely no need for this. Bicks is always repectful here, and always talks up the Berrys. Also- he’s in Adelaide and it wasn’t streamed, so how is he going to watch it??
Thanks mate, I've actually been living in the Victorian Central highlands near Ballarat for over a decade now and I'm an avid follower of the TAC Cup Comp in particular the GWV Rebels and get along to most of their games hence my interest in how the lads are going. Watch out for a Rebels lad Mitch Martin this year, think he's going to be a real chance come draft time.

Last edited:

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Port Adelaide defeated the Brisbane Lions 17.9 (111) to 3.8 (26) in the grand final - Pre season result, 2001 (Ansett Australia Cup)
We didn't even make the pre-season finals in 2002, and it was won by Port again.
Same again in 2003, with the pre-season GF won by Adelaide.

I really don't know why so many of you are melting over a intra-club scratch match in which we were beaten. Are we so fragile now that any defeat in any match sets alarm bells ringing? So we lost....no big deal and to be fair, it could be argued a good result in the long term, certainly from a sports psychology angle. As evidenced above, in our premiership years we didn't set the world on fire and those are actual pre-season matches, never mind hit outs before the pre-season games commenced.

Take a broader view here folks - no injuries, valuable match practice and doubtless good information for the playing and coaching group.

snooplions

Club Legend
Dec 2, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thanks mate, I've actually been living in the Victorian Central highlands near Ballarat for over a decade now and I'm an avid follower of the TAC Cup Comp in particular the GWV Rebels and get along to most of their games hence my interest in how the lads are going. Watch out for a Rebels lad Mitch Martin this year, think he's going to be a real chance come draft time.
I wasn't there but pretty sure someone posted Tom Berry kicked a goal in the last period, seems Jarrod only played a little bit towards the end of the game. He's probably not that close to 100% fitness due to the bout of glandular fever he's just recovered from. McCluggage had a few good plays, but from what I gather the team had a day to forget and no real standouts.

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Eagles got smashed by Freo this time last year.

We lost rd 1.

Nek minnit...

unnamed%20(5).jpeg

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Billy Puller

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
We’re ****ed. Players believe there own hype. Well take 10 steps backwards this year. Quote me in 8 months time I’ve been hearing bad things all pre season. This goes to show. Another fun year ahead as a Brisbane supporter

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
We’re ******. Players believe there own hype. Well take 10 steps backwards this year. Quote me in 8 months time I’ve been hearing bad things all pre season. This goes to show. Another fun year ahead as a Brisbane supporter
Hopefully this season has no remnants to 2010 when the players came into that season awfully arrogant.

Surely we aren't drinking our own Kool-Aid yet; surely not given we've achieved SFA in 15 years.

Billy Puller

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Hopefully this season has no remnants to 2010 when the players came into that season awfully arrogant.

Surely we aren't drinking our own Kool-Aid yet; surely not given we've achieved SFA in 15 years.
Unfortunate issue with a young list. Don’t have the level of maturity we need yet. Hard thing to balance the human ego.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We’re ******. Players believe there own hype. Well take 10 steps backwards this year. Quote me in 8 months time I’ve been hearing bad things all pre season. This goes to show. Another fun year ahead as a Brisbane supporter

I don’t know if your trolling or not. But lately you seem to have become and expert on everything, after the fact.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I went to the game and thought Neale was a class above most on the ground. It was great to see Charlie Cameron fully recovered and very lively. Witho looked a lot bigger and I thought Zac Bailey had filled out considerably and didn't look like a schoolboy any longer. Mitch was Mitch and gave it 100%. I reckon Jarrod Berry has lost a fair bit of weight from his glandular fever. I am not sure how many of our list got a run - probably 30+ and hence almost impossible for me to read anything much into the result.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
I wouldn't be too worried about this loss. That said, we can't continue our about 10 year long run of starting seasons very slowly and making a token run that gets us nowhere in the second half of the year. I'm sure the staff are aware this has been an issue for a very long time. Also, I'd hope our plan isn't to plonk Andrews, Hipwood and McInerney in the forward line together for long periods.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Don't think a poor performance would have any bearing on results come season proper.
No doubt Fagan would be disappointed about certain aspects of the performance that would have been a focus.

You guys have all the bearings for a good year so wouldn't get too worried.

carnthemlions

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers, Hertha Berlin
Couldn't agree more, I still think we're too tall with Hippy, The Big O and McStay all up forward at once.
Makes me wonder what sort of forward role we see Andrews playing. Hipwood and McInerney don't get much of the ball (neither does McStay) so I assume we must be banking on him being mobile enough to take marks up the ground? Perhaps we think there will be more opportunities to isolate our taller forwards on defenders who can't handle them after the new rule changes. We had some success doing that last season but also lost out to sides with supposedly vulnerable smaller key defenders more often than not.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure why anyone would care about the result. It was a practice match. Which is why we had Harris up forward with zero regard for the score

The positive takeaway's from this match are our new recruits showing some serious promise - specifically Tom Joyce Tom Berry and E.Smith

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Makes me wonder what sort of forward role we see Andrews playing. Hipwood and McInerney don't get much of the ball (neither does McStay) so I assume we must be banking on him being mobile enough to take marks up the ground? Perhaps we think there will be more opportunities to isolate our taller forwards on defenders who can't handle them after the new rule changes. We had some success doing that last season but also lost out to sides with supposedly vulnerable smaller key defenders more often than not.

Cant play Andrews and OMc in the same forwardline IMO.

Billy Puller

Club Legend
Sep 5, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
If there’s one thing that stood out to me is Andrews isn’t a forward. Getting leppa vibes from this preseason. Harris is an All Australian KPD and our most important cog in defence. I hope Fagan doesn’t continue with the experiment that is clearly going to fail.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
I honestly thought this trolling of the club was just trolling.

That was until I read some rather serious opinions on a completely irrelevant match. Jeez.

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Hipwood does get to a lot of contests but doesnt complete marks enough just yet. I think he will be used as a roaming type as he matures to take advantage of his pace on the ball

Back