Steven May - 1 week

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it was low impact high contact would he have received 1 week? If no I'd suggest Melbourne challenge the impact ruling providing Brisbane have told them there is no concussion

They judged it as medium because he didn't come back onto the ground in the last quarter of a meaningless JLT game. Don't the AFL's concussion tests take a minimum of 20 minutes anyway? So he wouldn't have come back on anyway?

The other criteria they assessed it on was the 'look' which is the dumbest thing ever. Might as well let the PR team handle the MRO

You can only bump people in the side these days. Front on is a no no...
a big problem with this rule is thatnow we have a generation of footballers who do not know how to properly protect themselves.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

May chose to bump. He chose to bump, and his shoulder hit Berry's chin.

May has got history with cheap shots like this, and the MRP dealt with it as they should have.

If the foot was on the other side, we had Martin do the same to Brayshaw or Viney, Melbourne fans would be demanding 2 weeks easily. The AFL had also said they would be far more strict with acts of thuggery like May's. What a brilliant way to start at a new club. :$

I struggle to understand some of the decisions made these days. Not just the decisions but the commentary around it.

Am I just looking at this through red and blue lenses? How did it get to the stage where a bump like that is given a weeks holiday? Surely the impact was not severe enough as to warrant a suspension? There was no concussion, no injury, it's not even clear that he got him high. Basically it seems May was suspended for being bigger and stronger than his opponent. Yeah the bump probably shook Berry up but that's because he's such a lighter frame than May.

Christian said part of the consideration in making the decision was the "look". So now decisions are made not just based on intent or even outcome but the "look" of it even if it wasn't in reality that bad? I'm pretty shocked at the commentary around this, not the fact he got a week because Michael Christian is an idiot, but the talking heads agreeing that it's deserving of a week. Look at it in real time in the context of the play, not just the slowmo gif. Yeah he initiated contact and put Berry on his arse but I didn't think it deserves a free kick let alone a suspension. Umpires didn't either as it was just called play on.

What do you guys think? Am I just biased? I'm expecting Brisbane and Port supporters to be in agreement that it deserves a penalty but what do the rest of you think?
Where have you been in recent years? May lined Berry up and bumped him with head contact occurring.

This is what you have bought in Steven May, a thug who has a loose wire.

May has got history with cheap shots like this, and the MRP dealt with it as they should have.

If the foot was on the other side, we had Martin do the same to Brayshaw or Viney, Melbourne fans would be demanding 2 weeks easily. The AFL had also said they would be far more strict with acts of thuggery like May's. What a brilliant way to start at a new club. :$
You're allowed to bump and Berry wasnt injured though.

You're allowed to bump and Berry wasnt injured though.

What part of him bumping and making contact with the opponent's head, is so hard to understand?

He could have easily stopped in his tracks and elected to not bump. The fact that he did, made contact with the head and Berry didn't return, is all that MRP need to review.

What part of him bumping and making contact with the opponent's head, is so hard to understand?

He could have easily stopped in his tracks and elected to not bump. The fact that he did, made contact with the head and Berry didn't return, is all that MRP need to review.
You are allowed to bump but you can’t make contact with the head, which he did. He also had other options apart from the bump- he moved into position to bump him.

He attempted a legal act on the football field. The fact he got him high was the only illegal part of the act and warranted a free kick. If Berry was injured then a suspension would be justified because that is how the AFL have said that rule would be adjudicated. Berry was and is fine. How do you get 'Medium impact' when there was literally no injury?

This suspension was given out on the vibe of the act and not the actual rules that the AFL have put to page.

This was not worthy of a suspension, in fact is was not worthy of even being looked at. It has gone past being ridiculous it is now just full on comedy.
The AFL keep saying that the head is sacrosanct yet head high contact during play is rife in the AFL, but instead of penalising the players making the contact they now think the player with the ball is responsible.
It really is one big mess in our game, the AFL created it and now we are stuck with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He attempted a legal act on the football field. The fact he got him high was the only illegal part of the act and warranted a free kick. If Berry was injured then a suspension would be justified because that is how the AFL have said that rule would be adjudicated. Berry was and is fine. How do you get 'Medium impact' when there was literally no injury?

This suspension was given out on the vibe of the act and not the actual rules that the AFL have put to page.
Funny you should mention that, this was debated during the Lewis/Cripps hit a couple of seasons ago. Every Carlton supporter argued Lewis's hit deserved 3 weeks (or more) due to the hairline fracture Cripps recieved, while Melbourne supporters argued the hit was low impact and Cripps could have sustained the injury elsewhere.

I don't think suspending players only when an injury is sustained is the right way to adjudicate incidents. Nor do I agree Mays act was legal, as knocking someone on their arse late after they dispose of the ball is usually always a down the field free kick

I struggle to understand some of the decisions made these days. Not just the decisions but the commentary around it.

Am I just looking at this through red and blue lenses? How did it get to the stage where a bump like that is given a weeks holiday? Surely the impact was not severe enough as to warrant a suspension? There was no concussion, no injury, it's not even clear that he got him high. Basically it seems May was suspended for being bigger and stronger than his opponent. Yeah the bump probably shook Berry up but that's because he's such a lighter frame than May.

Christian said part of the consideration in making the decision was the "look". So now decisions are made not just based on intent or even outcome but the "look" of it even if it wasn't in reality that bad? I'm pretty shocked at the commentary around this, not the fact he got a week because Michael Christian is an idiot, but the talking heads agreeing that it's deserving of a week. Look at it in real time in the context of the play, not just the slowmo gif. Yeah he initiated contact and put Berry on his arse but I didn't think it deserves a free kick let alone a suspension. Umpires didn't either as it was just called play on.

What do you guys think? Am I just biased? I'm expecting Brisbane and Port supporters to be in agreement that it deserves a penalty but what do the rest of you think?

You are not being bias, just as you said he has been suspended for being far bigger than his opponent.
His opponent had no awareness and to be honest after watching it has no place being on an AFL field until he is ready.
Suspension for how it looks is pure comedy.

This is so clearly a week. He wasnt even close to the ball, changed direction to be the one to initiate contact and went high.

Plebs everywhere. The game is not going soft by rubbing out coward acts.

Absolute rubbish, suspending players because their opponent doesn’t have an awareness or any idea how to protect himself is just comedy.

Funny you should mention that, this was debated during the Lewis/Cripps hit a couple of seasons ago. Every Carlton supporter argued Lewis's hit deserved 3 weeks (or more) due to the hairline fracture Cripps recieved, while Melbourne supporters argued the hit was low impact and Cripps could have sustained the injury elsewhere.

I don't think suspending players only when an injury is sustained is the right way to adjudicate incidents. Nor do I agree Mays act was legal, as knocking someone on their arse late after they dispose of the ball is usually always a down the field free kick

Yeah, but we're not talking about how things should be done. We're talking about the rules. Medium impact has never ever been used to describe an incident that resulted in no injury.

I didn't say what May did was legal. I said he was attempting a legal act on the field. Bumping is legal, head high contact is not. Head high contact results in a free kick. Head high contact resulting in injury usually results in suspension. By the AFL's rules this should have resulted in a free kick and a fine at worst.

Lewis being suspended after a guy he punched in the jaw was found to have a broken jaw is not in the same ball park as May bumping Berry resulting in no injury.

Yeah, but we're not talking about how things should be done. We're talking about the rules. Medium impact has never ever been used to describe an incident that resulted in no injury.
Yeah probably should of been graded low impact I agree, still Matera copped a week for low impact, intentional forearm that didn't result in injury, so either way I think he was in trouble.
I didn't say what May did was legal. I said he was attempting a legal act on the field. Bumping is legal, head high contact is not. Head high contact results in a free kick. Head high contact resulting in injury usually results in suspension. By the AFL's rules this should have resulted in a free kick and a fine at worst.
True bumping is legal, a late bump isn't. If May does the same action while Berry is handballing or kicking the ball, it's probably a free for high contact and nothing more. He walked off his line and initiated contact, unfortunately as soon as he did it I knew he'd get a week.
Lewis being suspended after a guy he punched in the jaw was found to have a broken jaw is not in the same ball park as May bumping Berry resulting in no injury.
Was more comparing how supporters view the incident rather than the incident itself.

Yeah probably should of been graded low impact I agree, still Matera copped a week for low impact, intentional forearm that didn't result in injury, so either way I think he was in
True bumping is legal, a late bump isn't. If May does the same action while Berry is handballing or kicking the ball, it's probably a free for high contact and nothing more. He walked off his line and initiated contact, unfortunately as soon as he did it I knew he'd get a week.
Was more comparing how supporters view the incident rather than the incident itself.

The difference between the Matera incident is this was graded as careless. The ball was within 5 metres hence that grading and the legality of the bump. If we want to get into how we want the MRO to operate and judge incidents (which I have plenty of problems with myself) that's a topic for another time. But based on the rules they have put in place the AFL has got it wrong on this one. Melbourne and May have a good case to challenge.

Jesus christ, can people actually watch the vision properly before commentating? May changed directions at the last second and launched into him, his shoulder connecting with the jaw/throat of Berry who wasn't expecting May to leap at him.

Berry DID NOT run into a stationary May, and if you think that you're either blind or didn't watch the incident.

You're right, May initiated the contact which I think I said in the first post. But watch in real time and not slowmo and you'll see he didn't launch into him he basically stepped into his path to block him out. It was a bit more than a simple block but nowhere near a hip and shoulder where there is a follow through on the contact.

Thuggery?

This is so clearly a week. He wasnt even close to the ball, changed direction to be the one to initiate contact and went high.

Plebs everywhere. The game is not going soft by rubbing out coward acts.

How is it a coward act? Berry was in the play. If he gets him high by glancing his chin then he has to cop whatever penalty there might be but don't act like this was Yeats on Brereton.

You are allowed to bump but you can’t make contact with the head, which he did. He also had other options apart from the bump- he moved into position to bump him.

Even if you accidentally cop someone in the head it's only a suspension if it was forceful enough to warrant medium or high impact. I think that's where any appeal would have to focus on, the impact was assessed as medium when really it should've been low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back