Steven May's mark - What will the AFL do?

Remove this Banner Ad

Couple of disclaimers:
Not a whinging Saints fan.
I don't want May suspended.
I have brought this issue up before.

Last night Steven May took a great speccy on Zane Cordy.

Read it well, got the sit, love it.

However...

Zane Cordy was taken to the bench and subsequently failed a concussion test. He missed the rest of the game and will be out next week per AFL protocol around head injuries.

"So what?" I hear you ask.

Well the AFL have made it very clear that they are going to clamp down on any action that they believe was avoidable when it comes to head injuries/concussions.

We have seen the 'bump' change from the old school, Byron Pickett style "take a bloke out" tactic to now being almost non existent.

We are currently in the middle of tackling being given a complete overhaul with players being sighted for pinning arms, double movements, spinning and swinging etc

So, with Steven May's mark in mind; Do we think the AFL will do anything about the speccy? Will the AFL deem May's choice to raise his knee as "reckless" and actually suspend him for taking a hanger?

We could argue all day that it's "part of the game", but the same could have been said about bumping and tackles.

Again, I'll reiterate, I DONT WANT TO SEE THIS BANNED.

My fear though is that the AFL are going down a path that in 3... 5... 10... years' time will end up with what May did will actually being a penalty rather than a highlight.

Anyone else feel the same?

Couple of disclaimers:

However...

Zane Cordy was taken to the bench and subsequently failed a concussion test. He missed the rest of the game and will be out next week per AFL protocol around head injuries.

Well the AFL have made it very clear that they are going to clamp down on any action that they believe was avoidable when it comes to head injuries/concussions.

We have seen the 'bump' change from the old school, Byron Pickett style "take a bloke out" tactic to now being almost non existent.

We are currently in the middle of tackling being given a complete overhaul with players being sighted for pinning arms, double movements, spinning and swinging etc

So, with Steven May's mark in mind; Do we think the AFL will do anything about the speccy? Will the AFL deem May's choice to raise his knee as "reckless" and actually suspend him for taking a hanger?

We could argue all day that it's "part of the game", but the same could have been said about bumping and tackles.

My fear though is that the AFL are going down a path that in 3... 5... 10... years' time will end up with what May did will actually being a penalty rather than a highlight.

LOL what a massive sook!

Good luck "cleaning all the sand out"!!!!

Given Dees play the Blues in round 22, you’d have to think minimum 5 weeks.

Appalling from May - he should have had the foresight to not compete for the mark and let Corday have the first grab.

He has to be suspended.

As did Gary Rohan the other week.

It makes literally zero sense that guys are getting weeks for not showing a duty of care when they accidentally concuss people - and these acts don't get punished.

It makes absolutely zero sense.

Last edited:
It's a fair point to raise. I don't think any footy fan wants to see speccies banned but if the AFL are serious about CTE perhaps there needs to be some responsibility on the marking player to make minimal contact with the head of their opponent. You could still use their shoulder as a step ladder but no knees or boots straight into the head.

LOL what a massive sook!

Good luck "cleaning all the sand out"!!!!

You can put all the disclaimers you want on it but ...Sooking vibe is strong. Great mark, stiff for Cordy.

Check my history.

I posted the same thing about Mitch Lewis' MOTY contender in 2022 that left Ed Richards concussed.

If the AFL are legitimately trying to avoid head high contact, why would they allow these actions to continue?

Couple of disclaimers:

However...

Yeah yeah all that jazz..... but why does your name appear at the bottom of your post and not the top?

Screenshot_20230709_112014_Chrome.jpg

Check my history.

I posted the same thing about Mitch Lewis' MOTY contender in 2022 that left Ed Richards concussed.

If the AFL are legitimately trying to avoid head high contact, why would they allow these actions to continue?
If they were legit about concussion the game wouldn't exist. No contact sport would.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a fair point to raise. I don't think any footy fan wants to see speccies banned but if the AFL are serious about CTE perhaps there needs to be some responsibility on the marking player to make minimal contact with the head of their opponent. You could still use their shoulder as a step ladder but no knees or boots straight into the head.
Be very, very careful. If you start making sense on here you will get laughed out of town.

I just had another look. May had his eyes on the ball the whole time. There’s no way you can outlaw the action when it’s not intentional.

OP trolling by the OP.

It was a great mark. He may have used his knee in the contest but he didnt lead with the knee in to his opponent. Which is an action the AFL has to act on because that is deliberate.

2023 rules and awareness: I don't personally think you should be allowed to put a knee into a players head in a marking contest, no more than you're allowed to put your sprigs into an opponent in a marking contest (Toby Greene) or put your knees deliberately into an opponents kidneys in a ruck contest.

I grew up in a era where you were allowed to do these, even encouraged to. Can't see it now though.

duty of care and the outcome based findings put the afl in a tricky position. they're loath to deem anything as an accident... unless they play on the same team. go figure.
then another unusual situation, the prospect of accepting an award for moty should he be suspended for taking the mark. i think in this instance they'd probably just quietly call it ineligible so something else can win, without making it public so that scenario stays away.

i look forward to seeing them trying to wriggle out of whatever bullshit they want to get away from.

duty of care and the outcome based findings put the afl in a tricky position. they're loath to deem anything as an accident... unless they play on the same team. go figure.
then another unusual situation, the prospect of accepting an award for moty should he be suspended for taking the mark. i think in this instance they'd probably just quietly call it ineligible so something else can win, without making it public so that scenario stays away.

i look forward to seeing them trying to wriggle out of whatever bullshit they want to get away from.

Yeah this is sort of my point.

In 10 years' time if Cordy joins a class action against the AFL and points to this incident what are they gonna do?

It's a great mark but I legitimately think the AFL are gonna come out with "You can fly for a mark but if you hurt someone it's a suspension" soon.

In Masters AFL they have already banned raising knees when taking a mark for exactly this sort of reason. Apart from old guys not being able to jump its one of the main reasons you don't see any speckies taken in the masters. Won't be long before there is a crackdown and a new rule on raising knees. Of course you look at every specky ever taken and you realise that its almost impossible to achieve the extra elevation to jump on someone's back without raising the knee.

Back