Autopsy Jesse Hogan - Worth 220 Points

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a feeling this is going to end badly for Freo.......another lesson on the fact if you are gunna pay a huge price for a recruit they must be of good character not just good players. We have been hurt by poor recruiting too many times

Dunno why, I would take him at North tomorrow.

Showing up half pissed at training is a no-no, otherwise he's just got to stay away from partying too hard in public places and garbage so called mates that put him up on show on social media to score points for themselves.

Showing up half pissed at training is a no-no, otherwise he's just got to stay away from partying too hard in public places and garbage so called mates that put him up on show on social media to score points for themselves.
It wasn't a mate, probably best demonstrated by the guy just calling him 'Hogan.'

Or you know, not use drugs in the first place?

I have a feeling this is going to end badly for Freo.......another lesson on the fact if you are gunna pay a huge price for a recruit they must be of good character not just good players. We have been hurt by poor recruiting too many times
Gotta say, with all due respect that's a crock. Anyone who's had anxiety will tell you it is a really horrible condition to experience. Anxiety will shift brain activity from the logical considered parts of the brain to the reactionary impulsive parts of the brain. Slip-ups are common, especially with any self-medicating. They ain't the end of the world though and it's highly manageable.

Footy clubs aren't monasteries. The primary thing footy clubs should be concerned with character are footy type actions especially in and around the club. Namely broader buy-in to what the team is doing, how they show that on the training track and on the field. There's always likely to be a percentage of the list that struggles with the 24/7 commitment to it. It's in the best interest of clubs to help manage players through this environment (particularly those with greater talent).

It wasn't that long ago players had a lot more breathing space, but there's that much more scrutiny these days, particularly in a two-team town like Perth and for non-WC sides all the more (Liam Ryan anyone?). Hogan largely seems to have bought in. He should probably realise that self-medicating is the worst thing you can do and whatever reprieve from anxiety he gets from alcohol or other substances will return with plenty of interest the next day or two.

He could do worse than commit to 3 months sans booze etc as a therapeutic measure, if nothing else.

Gotta say, with all due respect that's a crock. Anyone who's had anxiety will tell you it is a really horrible condition to experience. Anxiety will shift brain activity from the logical considered parts of the brain to the reactionary impulsive parts of the brain. Slip-ups are common, especially with any self-medicating. They ain't the end of the world though and it's highly manageable.

Footy clubs aren't monasteries. The primary thing footy clubs should be concerned with character are footy type actions especially in and around the club. Namely broader buy-in to what the team is doing, how they show that on the training track and on the field. There's always likely to be a percentage of the list that struggles with the 24/7 commitment to it. It's in the best interest of clubs to help manage players through this environment (particularly those with greater talent).

It wasn't that long ago players had a lot more breathing space, but there's that much more scrutiny these days, particularly in a two-team town like Perth and for non-WC sides all the more (Liam Ryan anyone?). Hogan largely seems to have bought in. He should probably realise that self-medicating is the worst thing you can do and whatever reprieve from anxiety he gets from alcohol or other substances will return with plenty of interest the next day or two.

He could do worse than commit to 3 months sans booze etc as a therapeutic measure, if nothing else.

Great post.

We're pissed off because of a sustained period of incompetence by our club and we just did not need this.

Ultimately though Freo and Jesse will have to work their way out of this. It's just whether Jesse can personally whether we have the correct people in the seats for the club to do this.

I still have hope for Jesse. As for the club....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure everyone has already worked out the video doing the rounds isn't new. That is not footage from the other night. Apparently someone managed to check the metadata and prove it was an old video.

That doesn't excuse Jesse from rocking up to training with a hangover after indulging when he shouldn't have been (irrespective of his anxiety) - and the club has done the right thing by not allowing him to train nor play round 1.

What it does do though, is show that there are plenty of idiots out there (including plenty from the media) that are more than willing to lie and stretch the truth to paint whatever picture they want about individuals to create greater controversy. Similarly with them going after Harley about being moved on from a nightclub when other AFL players were with him a few months back. The media will carry on about Jesse (just like they did with Harley) needing to take responsibility for his actions. I think he deserves an opportunity to do so before we write him off as a complete failure. In the grand scheme these aren't major incidents - both players have only ever done things that hurts themselves (not hurt others like a bunch of AFL players from other clubs have done in the past).

A couple of years ago I was at an event that a couple of players from the mob down the road were also at and they were incredibly intoxicated and shouldn't have been drinking at all given it was mid season. One of them was acting incredibly sleazy to a young woman I know and some mutual friends intervened to make him leave her alone. Unlike the idiots out there that whip out their phones at every available opportunity to try to embarrass someone publicly, I didn't do that nor did I go online and shout about it so the media could run with it (and neither did anyone else in attendance to my knowledge).

You are hiding under a rock if you think players like Hogan and Bennell are the only ones that have slipped up off the field. They are just easy prey because the media can run with it and get traction. Other players they don't bother with because it doesn't suit the narrative they have created for them. The media buried a significant incident last year by a player from another club that would have made Hogan and Bennell look like angels comparatively. If you don't think sponsorship dollars have some bearing on what is and isn't newsworthy you have your head buried in the sand.

None of this excuses our players for slipping up nor does it mean that the club is fine and rosy and doesn't need to take any action to avoid similar scenarios in the future. But please don't be as naive to think all other AFL clubs don't have similar things going on all the time. We are talking about groups of men in their 20s - the smarter players and clubs just don't get caught or are in situations where the media is less inclined to go the negative route.

I am very concerned about the lads future.

A lot of people hooked on meth, speed etc never come back. It's a very bad place to be in.

If the stories are true about Rosich and Lyon overruling Bell and recruiting staff and got in Hogan for a quick fix then they have done untold damage to the club.

Not only are we stuck with a dead weight in terms of salary and list spot but we burned 2 top picks in a super draft. This fiasco will haunt the club for many seasons.

Lyon thinks he is smartest guy in the business but Melbourne and the Melbourne media played him and Rosich like fools at the last trade period. Lyon's hubris is such that he probably thinks he can solve any issue and turn any player around just cause he is Ross. A wiser head would know their limitations.

I reckon there are still a lot of good types at the club and they will do the club proud on occasions this year. I just hope we can hang onto the good ones.

If I were in charge I would separate the playing list into good apples and bad apples. Send the bad apples down to Peel permanently. They don't come back until they pull their socks up.

Rosich and Lyon have turned Freo into Gold Coast. As a loyal supporters it breaks my heart

Wtf is his mum doing? Get in your sons ear and full his ****+ head in. I acknowledge he doesn’t have a dad anymore, but his family support needs to give him a once over. This kid is a disgrace off the field and should be embarrassed by what’s happened. He’s not only ignorant, but just dumb if he thought he could come home to WA and escape the scrutiny. Pull your **** head in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure everyone has already worked out the video doing the rounds isn't new. That is not footage from the other night. Apparently someone managed to check the metadata and prove it was an old video.

That doesn't excuse Jesse from rocking up to training with a hangover after indulging when he shouldn't have been (irrespective of his anxiety) - and the club has done the right thing by not allowing him to train nor play round 1.

What it does do though, is show that there are plenty of idiots out there (including plenty from the media) that are more than willing to lie and stretch the truth to paint whatever picture they want about individuals to create greater controversy. Similarly with them going after Harley about being moved on from a nightclub when other AFL players were with him a few months back. The media will carry on about Jesse (just like they did with Harley) needing to take responsibility for his actions. I think he deserves an opportunity to do so before we write him off as a complete failure. In the grand scheme these aren't major incidents - both players have only ever done things that hurts themselves (not hurt others like a bunch of AFL players from other clubs have done in the past).

A couple of years ago I was at an event that a couple of players from the mob down the road were also at and they were incredibly intoxicated and shouldn't have been drinking at all given it was mid season. One of them was acting incredibly sleazy to a young woman I know and some mutual friends intervened to make him leave her alone. Unlike the idiots out there that whip out their phones at every available opportunity to try to embarrass someone publicly, I didn't do that nor did I go online and shout about it so the media could run with it (and neither did anyone else in attendance to my knowledge).

You are hiding under a rock if you think players like Hogan and Bennell are the only ones that have slipped up off the field. They are just easy prey because the media can run with it and get traction. Other players they don't bother with because it doesn't suit the narrative they have created for them. The media buried a significant incident last year by a player from another club that would have made Hogan and Bennell look like angels comparatively. If you don't think sponsorship dollars have some bearing on what is and isn't newsworthy you have your head buried in the sand.

None of this excuses our players for slipping up nor does it mean that the club is fine and rosy and doesn't need to take any action to avoid similar scenarios in the future. But please don't be as naive to think all other AFL clubs don't have similar things going on all the time. We are talking about groups of men in their 20s - the smarter players and clubs just don't get caught or are in situations where the media is less inclined to go the negative route.
Just like how you judge Rhys Palmer incident , hanging s**t on him just because he is a former Fremantle player .

There's more to life than just football, and I really hope Jesse gets the right support networks around him to help him through these tough times.

Some of us on the melb board were also speculating that his "support network" might be contributing to the problem.

He went home, fair chance he has fallen back in with his WA mates that don't get the opportunities he's been given to play elite football.

Just like how you judge Rhys Palmer incident , hanging s**t on him just because he is a former Fremantle player .
No I couldn't care less Rhys was a former Freo player. I've crossed paths with him a couple of times in recent years and he has acted like an absolute tool. Plus he's acted like a petulant child on social media. Throwing shoes on to a racetrack could have had serious consequences for either the animals or jockeys. It deserves all the scrutiny and criticism it got. IMO people should be jailed for that stupidity. What happened on the motorcycle is a separate thing altogether... I think everybody here wants him to pull through.

I am very concerned about the lads future.

A lot of people hooked on meth, speed etc never come back. It's a very bad place to be in.

If the stories are true about Rosich and Lyon overruling Bell and recruiting staff and got in Hogan for a quick fix then they have done untold damage to the club.

Not only are we stuck with a dead weight in terms of salary and list spot but we burned 2 top picks in a super draft. This fiasco will haunt the club for many seasons.

Lyon thinks he is smartest guy in the business but Melbourne and the Melbourne media played him and Rosich like fools at the last trade period. Lyon's hubris is such that he probably thinks he can solve any issue and turn any player around just cause he is Ross. A wiser head would know their limitations.

I reckon there are still a lot of good types at the club and they will do the club proud on occasions this year. I just hope we can hang onto the good ones.

If I were in charge I would separate the playing list into good apples and bad apples. Send the bad apples down to Peel permanently. They don't come back until they pull their socks up.

Rosich and Lyon have turned Freo into Gold Coast. As a loyal supporters it breaks my heart

It's ecstasy.

Make no mistake,
This is not the one step backwards to take 2 steps forwards situation
This is a 2 steps backwards situation with a crossroads
Either we re-set & forge on into the as yet to be discovered ultimate zone, or we plummet to the depths
Prior to the incident I reckon we were a monty to smash the Roos, but are now favoured to lose & begin another disappointing season.
I reckon Jesse needs a good woman (or man) in his life to help keep him on the straight & narrow
It worked for me, usually:)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back