Autopsy 2019 Rd 1 vs Richmond - Improved Blues go down by 33 points

Which players did you like the look of in Round 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d like to make a few observations concerning the standard of umpiring last night. I’m not an umpire critic per se but it would be great to sit down with them and run through the tape to get an understanding of some of their inconsistent rulings and, what I’ll term, non decisions.

I’d have to watch the game back to be 100% certain concerning which quarter these incidents occur (as I tend to get really involved in the game).

First quarter. Balta marks around the centre. Thomas spoils. Umpire deems late contact and pays 50 metre penalty. Balta goals.

Third quarter. McGovern marks around half forward. Astbury is late. Misses the ball and hits Gov unfair in the noggin. No 50.

First quarter. Cripps is penalised for deliberately putting the ball over the line.

Same quarter. Rance is deep in defence and knocks the ball in a straight line from five metres over the boundary. No deliberate intent (bullshit). Throw the ball in.

Third quarter. And the non-decision that defies footy logic. Broad arches the back, makes a break for it and Big H (like a lion bringing down an antelope) lays a great tackle and brings Broad to the ground. Once he hits the deck he’s GAWN. Not according to the umpire involved.

What’s your decision?

1. The 50 against Thomas was soft, had already left the ground to spoil so couldn't do anything else.
2. McGovern didn't deserve a 50
3. Cripps maybe unlucky but Cotchin got pinged for the same later on, dont remember the Rance one
4. Broad got the handball away, Cunningham got a kick away in the game and got pinged for holding the ball.

No point complaining about the umpires, some days you get the rub of the green others you don't. Didn't think they were too bad to be honest. Not the reason we lost.

Missed Kreuzer and Kennedy - put them in the side and a lot of Richmond 'pressure' gets shrugged off - take Cripps out of side last night and Carlton get belted by 100 points. Really enjoyed seeing Jones apply physical pressure on Riewoldt and Weitering starting to understand and use his large frame.

What a nonsense. How the hell would you know what he is like.
I've quoted someone there, just in case you missed that. You seem to be upset with the comment or me agreeing with it, but our first quarter was regimented and bland in my opinion.

Like I said, looking forward to a better effort against Port next week.

Disagree. I watched Phillips closely and his work around the stoppages with the mids was very good. Did his role. First game in a long while and will get better and better
I watched him closely too and his barely average work around the stoppages was completely ruined by his inability to go with Nankervis around the ground. Plus his poor fitness ruining our structures in the last quarter as Mckay had to ruck half of it. For an afl ruckman that was not good enough. If he needed a run and will be better for it he should've had that run in the twos. At least Charlie commands a defender to be with him at all times, so even when he's having a shocker his huge km covered can still create space and stretch the opponents defence. Phillips offered nothing after 2 quarters and got demolished by his direct opponent.

I watched him closely too and his barely average work around the stoppages was completely ruined by his inability to go with Nankervis around the ground. Plus his poor fitness ruining our structures in the last quarter as Mckay had to ruck half of it. For an afl ruckman that was not good enough. If he needed a run and will be better for it he should've had that run in the twos. At least Charlie commands a defender to be with him at all times, so even when he's having a shocker his huge km covered can still create space and stretch the opponents defence. Phillips offered nothing after 2 quarters and got demolished by his direct opponent.
Nankervis is a very under rated player IMO

I prefer Kreuzer over Phillips

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've quoted someone there, just in case you missed that. You seem to be upset with the comment or me agreeing with it, but our first quarter was regimented and bland in my opinion.

Like I said, looking forward to a better effort against Port next week.

Fair enough though the fact its a quote is not so clear at first look.We get used to the quotes being in the usual
format of BF so my mistake.
My point is how would anyone know unless they are in that inner sanctum. Definitely cant go by a few media spots. Everyone is different in the camera lens.
The first quarter, was two things. One we was robbed, yes robbed blind. Two we let that happen by inexperience and lack of mongrel. Its kind of like we are the first form against the prefects. The fact Bolts settled them down and they played two and a half quarters that had Richmond scared says that he can coach.

Last edited:
My random thoughts on last nights game, in no particular order.

I went to the game, I was excited and was really disappointed with our first quarter.

Our marking skills were atrocious.

The second quarter was a lot better, saw plenty of positives, one of them wasn’t our marking, which was atrocious.

Our third quarter was good too.

Our fourth quarter was over after 5 minutes, we were shot and had run out of legs.

Our contested game looks quite good, our rebounding game and running game needs a lot of work. The tigers just keep running and putting pressure on their opponents defence. I’m slightly concerned with the pace of our side but will reserve judgement for a few weeks.

Decision making, Fumbles, Execution and Basic skill errors hurt us a lot last night. That'll improve.

Walsh is an absolute beaut!! was just amazed at his work rate and hunger.
Setterfield is a great get and very happy we got him, will only get better. Just so smooth.

As others have said Charlie just looked terrible tonight.

Think the Ed going fwd move is a bad one.

Anyway only round 1 ... we'll gel and get better and better as the weeks roll on.

We just weren't composed /clean when we had the chance to take possession. So a lot of 50/50 contests went their way and they got a fast break and the chance to score. If we can improve 10% in terms of clean possession it will make a huge difference. I think McKay will be a more important player than C Curnow he can be a true spearhead... it seems like we relied on chaos balls to score goals rather than being systematic, I guess that comes down to poor skills. Like others have posted we made every goal seem so hard.

The way Lynch got his first mark and goal was clearly something they rehearsed. With Riewoldt going for the unrealistic speccy and using his legs to clear out both defenders allowing Lynch to take the virtually uncontested mark.

We should have been awarded the free kick for the unrealistic attempt as it proceeded the mark, but the umpires gave them the benefit of the doubt

They attempted it two other times that I noticed.

If the umpires don't cotton on to this, and tighten up on it, I can see Lynch kicking 10-12 goals just from this scheme in 2019. Jack is a smart enough player, to make it work.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tigers have been doing this for 2 years

Reading all the SPS bagging makes me worry about the caliber of our supporters, do they actually understand footy?

He was clearly one of our best in the second and third, delivery into 50 was sublime, long and short kicking, pressure and tackling. That performance alone rocketed him up the the rankings amongst third year players.

Apparently Kane Cornes was going to discuss Bolts pressa this morning. Did anyone hear what he said? I had to go to a meeting so didn't get the chance

This is my diary note for last night’s match.

It was a stressful game to sit and watch last night.

Games of footy are rarely a true tug of war. Momentum is closer to the truth in most games. It’s terrible to get off to a poor start and have the opposition dominating the game.

Richmond kicked 6 goals before Carlton registered its first. You’re thinking game over at this point in time however the momentum changes.

Fasolo’s goal is quickly followed by a Daisy goal and Carlton has turned the pressure on Richmond. This continued and at half time Carlton is 22 points down, still in the game.

Carlton’s best quarter is the premiership quarter. The Richmond defence is under enormous pressure. McKay, Murphy and Newman kick team lifting goals and Fisher and Plowman manage to bring down Richmond’s premium bull Dustin Martin (unheard of - where’s the don’t argue?). In the midst of this Rance injures his knee and is assisted from the ground. The pressure valve is about to pop.

However in this cauldron Carlton lets Richmond off the hook. McKay bangs one into the post, Setterfield and Dow miss set shots to the right. Carlton blows its chances of a 6 goal quarter but has reduced Richmond’s advantage to 11 points. Orange time and I’m thinking Carlton can win this game.

The quarter starts and the Tigers find another gear and Carlton can’t respond. It’s irksome that Lynch and Weller kick goals out of nowhere when Carlton squandered chances in the previous quarter but that’s footy. The momentum is with the Tigers and the final margin is 33 points. The same margin as quarter time. That says it all.

I can handle being out of touch but lack of effort is unforgivable. No second efforts at all and had numerous times to impact a contest and didn’t. I couldn’t have been more disappointed

I don’t know why but it needs to be sorted out

Was at the game....TBH, is was the first time I've seen Charlie jog around like he couldn't give a toss...not sure if those pub rumours are true, but his attitude contributed to a few costly momentum shifts that really killed us.

Yeah something going on there. More than a confidence thing. Perhaps he was sick. I hope so - best possible explanation. As noted effort was way down, but also when he did get the ball, he butchered it. Hope to see him bounce back next week because last night he was a liability.

Back