Preview Round 5, 2019: Melbourne v St.Kilda - MCG, Saturday 20th April, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Demons

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • Saints

Votes: 56 72.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can defend back you can defend forward. He's always been considered a utility an can play back forward or middle. If we want some one to play defensive forward, he is literally one of the quickest players you will see. Sounds like it would add to our already manic forward pressure.
Yes I would love geary forward and brown If only footy was that simple. Not even that simple in c grade ammos. You don’t play someone in their first game in a completely unfamiliar position

My gut feel is that Steven is lacking some serious match fitness. He is looking incredibly fat & disheveled. He looks like Ron Jeremy’s love child. I’d say Richo would be happy for Jack to take as long as he needs to get his body & mind right before returning.
I reckon he plays this week. Been doing all the work which is a little different to the last 2 weeks.

My gut feel is that Steven is lacking some serious match fitness. He is looking incredibly fat & disheveled. He looks like Ron Jeremy’s love child. I’d say Richo would be happy for Jack to take as long as he needs to get his body & mind right before returning.
If he’s on anti-depressants that will actually happen too! Not that I know if he is or not but it can be a side affect of the medication if he’s on it, as well as missing a few weeks of training and probably just chillen out doesn’t help!

It’s a blessing in disguise really because it gives other blokes more time in the middle and so far they are going great guns without him!

Majority of teams are made up of mostly average players according to opposition supporters.

I’d not swap any of Hunt, Harmes, Melhsham, Spargo, Stretch, Frost, O McDonald, Fritsch, Wagner x 2, ANB, Pruess, and this list doesn’t include N Jones who is near finished, for pretty much any Saint 22 who played today, and I’d argue there’s a few more.
Melbourne believed their own hype, and that is their right, but it has no real baring on this years standings.
They’re an average team with an excellent ruck and poor forward line. Hogan is a understated loss more in the fact that TMac is now focused as a forward and no longer a swing man, more work goes into him and the reality is, it’s much harder to be a full time forward than a pinch hitter.
I personally see him back in defence by mid year. Then who contests the forward entries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I''d maybe give them back Kent.

If he’s on anti-depressants that will actually happen too! Not that I know if he is or not but it can be a side affect of the medication if he’s on it, as well as missing a few weeks of training and probably just chillen out doesn’t help!

It’s a blessing in disguise really because it gives other blokes more time in the middle and so far they are going great guns without him!
We forget easily. Probably undefeated if he plays against freo. We need him more than giving other players a chance

Have to disagree with that. Think it's his bodyshape rather than fat. Plus you can't call him disheveled when he's got that hair and beard combo, it's a little unfair. Match fitness, maybe. I find it hard to believe two weeks of training would amount to this much time off but what do I know? Especially when he was apparently still running while he was away from the club.

Bruce was better before he cut his hair off. Steven is better when he has a mullet. G Train was better with a mullet.

Gresh has lost his mojo ever since he started shaving off his sideburns.

I think we need to harness the power of the hair.

Yes I would love geary forward and brown If only footy was that simple. Not even that simple in c grade ammos. You don’t play someone in their first game in a completely unfamiliar position

But he's not just played back. If he'd never played anywhere but defence that would be relevant. You just chose two guys that you think would be most unlikely to be successful. Battle has worked out fine, Sam Fisher was fine, Rooey was fine....perhaps it's not black and white. Geary could probably play as a defensive forward anyway, he is pretty adaptable.

Have to disagree with that. Think it's his bodyshape rather than fat. Plus you can't call him disheveled when he's got that hair and beard combo, it's a little unfair. Match fitness, maybe. I find it hard to believe two weeks of training would amount to this much time off but what do I know? Especially when he was apparently still running while he was away from the club.

Bruce was better before he cut his hair off. Steven is better when he has a mullet. G Train was better with a mullet.

Gresh has lost his mojo ever since he started shaving off his sideburns.

I think we need to harness the power of the hair.

Yeah, but it was funny so actual content is irrelevant. As long as you are amusing, facts are overrated.

But he's not just played back. If he'd never played anywhere but defence that would be relevant. You just chose two guys that you think would be most unlikely to be successful. Battle has worked out fine, Sam Fisher was fine, Rooey was fine....perhaps it's not black and white. Geary could probably play as a defensive forward anyway, he is pretty adaptable.
Arces was alright on the ball too ;)

We forget easily. Probably undefeated if he plays against freo. We need him more than giving other players a chance
Yeah I agree with that, I’d say definitely undefeated but it’s still a good opportunity for some of these other blokes to run through the middle, I want him back this week that’s for sure but I want him back ready so he can stay in the side, not be in two weeks out the next!

Pretty sure everyone you mentioned practiced in the position they eventually played in. Pretty sure hind hasn’t practiced as a forward for all his afl career

Yeah I agree with that, I’d say definitely undefeated but it’s still a good opportunity for some of these other blokes to run through the middle, I want him back this week that’s for sure but I want him back ready so he can stay in the side, not be in two weeks out the next!

But that may not happen. If his personal issues flair up nothing will make him stay in the side.

Pretty sure everyone you mentioned practiced in the position they eventually played in. Pretty sure hind hasn’t practiced as a forward for all his afl career

What all those weeks he's been on a ist?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that may not happen. If his personal issues flair up nothing will make him stay in the side.
Yeah that’s it! And partly my point of a reason it’s good some of the other blokes are getting more time in their and improving but there isn’t a guarantee he is going to be there every week.

Can't believe I'm saying this but it is not beyond the realm of possibility that Marshall Steven Steele Ross Billings Gresham Hannebery could soon be an A grade midfield combination.

Leaving out the GOAT must just be a serious oversight :D

Okay, I'm looking to maintain my one hundred per cent prediction record this year.

Dees are definitely a better side than their results so far suggest, IMO. They are underperforming, so let's hope they don't find that big performance at the weekend.

If we maintain the terrific defence, the workrate and tempo whilst upping the kicking accuracy a touch, I think we'll have enough.

Saints to go 4-1 with an 18 point win. :thumbsu:

Okay, I'm looking to maintain my one hundred per cent prediction record this year.

Dees are definitely a better side than their results so far suggest, IMO. They are underperforming, so let's hope they don't find that big performance at the weekend.

If we maintain the terrific defence, the workrate and tempo whilst upping the kicking accuracy a touch, I think we'll have enough.

Saints to go 4-1 with an 18 point win. :thumbsu:
18 points would feel like a 10 goal flogging for us compared to our first few weeks, a less stressful game on the ol heart strings would be fantastic!!!

Ps guys... $3.40 on Sportsbet for 1-39 if any of you like a bit of a punt. Fantastic value there.

Out: Dean Kent.

Not saying he shouldn't be dropped...

But the bloke did kick an absolute clutch pass in the back pocket into the middle of the ground which my (hazy) memory tells me led to a huge goal late in the game (q3 or 4?)

It was the sort of pass no other mule on the team could dream of executing bar perhaps jimmy webster, and even then- he misses plenty of targets trying to thread the needle.

Took a ripping slips catch mark earlier in the game too- so perhaps he isn't a total lost cause with his hands?

As i said- maybe he does need to be dropped to work on getting the pill more... but i wouldn't be unhappy (for now) to see him remain.

Oh plus the "playing against his old mob" factor means he should definitely get another week.
Players aren't robots- he'll be hellbent on showing them what they're missing.

Kinda like how i do pushups everytime i see my ex gf.... outside her bedroom window

Last edited:

But the bloke did kick an absolute clutch pass in the back pocket into the middle of the ground which my (hazy) memory tells me led to a huge goal late in the game (q3 or 4?)

It was the sort of pass no other mule on the team could dream of executing bar perhaps jimmy webster, and even then- he misses plenty of targets trying to thread the needle.

Took a ripping slips catch mark earlier in the game too- so perhaps he isn't a total lost cause with his hands?

As i said- maybe he does need to be dropped to work on getting the pill more... but i wouldn't be unhappy (for now) to see him remain
Some of his field kicking is fricken fantastic, I wish he kicked through the ball when he kicks at goal like he does drilling one into the corridor and opening up play.

He’s got talent, it’s gonna take some time for him to fit and figure out his defined role, I wouldn’t be dropping him against the old side at the G! If he stinks it up this week then I can say maybe give him a spell but I do think he has come up trumps in some important moments despite not setting the world on fire.

Ins: Geary, Steven
Out: Kent, McKenzie

Issues are rucks. They have two BEASTS.
They can only hurt us if they use the ball well into their f50
however our pressure wont allow them
to. Id back Marshall, Bruce and Acres to have better impact around the ground.

We also cant go bombing it into our f50 as gawn will gobble
up everything.

Like most games will come down to inside use, outside use and pressure.

We can win this.

As i said- maybe he does need to be dropped to work on getting the pill more... but i wouldn't be unhappy (for now) to see him remain.

Oh plus the "playing against his old mob" factor means he should definitely get another week.
Players aren't robots- he'll be hellbent on showing them what they're missing.

Kinda like how i do pushups everytime i see my ex gf.... outside her bedroom window
Not sure it’s worth persisting with someone who’s played 4 very poor games because of a couple ok moments. Let’s not forget he kicked it out on the full in the last quarter from 30m out to put us in front.
He averages 11 touches a game, 3 of which are clangers. He’s kicked 2 goals in 4 games as a forward. He’s had 5 tackles in 4 games, that’s not an average, that’s in total. He also only has 2 goal assists in 4 games, so maybe I’m completely missing something but I can’t see what he brings to the side?
He’s had 4 weeks, I reckon that’s a long enough chance.
I’d give Young a shot in there, or if Steven is good to go then play him forward for majority of the time.

Everyone wanted Lonie delisted, and thought Long was garbage after their first four games for the Saints.

After ten games we all could see what Long had, a lot longer for Lonie but he is breaking out this year.

I don't mind if Kent is dropped, but its a bit much making him a whipping boy after four games.

Certainly needs to get more involved but needs support, not constant bagging

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back