Autopsy Rd 8 Blues deserving but no reward again

Who played well in Round 8?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry but we lost the game (again) because we fold under pressure in the final minutes of close games. Nothing to do with the umpires.

3 x more frees to them.
Goal was touched.
Reset.
We have a chance of rebounding.
Yes we didn't play well in the final minutes.
But gee whiz.

Have some situational awareness, ffs. Look at the demographics of the team we fielded today. Football is not played in a vacuum.
I can't agree. If the team effectively competes for 3+ qtrs but then capitulates under pressure in the final minutes (as we have done in several games) it seems to me the problem is not age, physical or skills based, but a mental (between the ears) one. The teams that win premierships at lower levels of AFL are the ones that can lift under pressure at critical times.

This losses are taking years of my life.
3 wins in the last 40 or so games.
We are clearly much better than last year (last week aside), but we are also last on the AFL ladder AGAIN.

I blame Mick Malthouse. We have a massive gaping whole in our list that will take another 2 years to iron out.

I hate losing.

I said it in the game day thread, and I will repeat it here.

If Carlton FC do not make an official complaint to the AFL about the umpiring we have copped all season, they are as weak as piss.

GC game lost by bad umpiring. HFC game lost to bad umpiring. CFC game totally won by them because of biased umpiring. It is not possible to play that well in a game of football and get only 2 free kicks awarded in a half. At least 4 'non' calls' in the last resulted directly in goals to the filth. 4 goals = 24 points. We lost by 19. Don't tell me the umpiring didn't make the difference.

We were mighty today, I'm proud of all the players. We outplayed them in every facet of the game, (except for umpiring) If we had played that well from the start of the season, we would be 6-2 or even 7-1. We would be respected by the umpires, who may actually start to revert to unbiased decisions. (I have a theory about unintentional bias, where the umpires favour the team they perceive to be 'the better team') and would have begun the long climb back to awesomeness.

Thought Elena must be umpiring! Before the presser I hope our media team cut up a video of all those shocking calls.. the Plowman non free was astonishing. Cop a fine so what...

This is the point in the season where we’ll just go all that effort for no reward and just pull one surprise win round 19 and end up 2/20 again.

Sadly Bolts just can’t get them to close a game... downfall.

Just walking through Fitzroy Gardens. The dickheads are thick on the ground. Me included.

I’m disappointed after playing so well. It was a total team effort today and we never dropped our heads despite the avalanche provided to the oppo by the umpires.

The game turned on a dodgy decision to Grundy in the ruck. All the scragging and pushing that went with the ruck contests and the umps pluck one out of thin air. We lost control of the game from there on.

As for the individual players there are so many to praise. Special mention to Casboult. I know it was only Reid but you performed as well as Jones. Kreuzer might have failed to control Grundy but I can only imagine the carnage if K didn’t play. Plenty of others to mention but I’ll save it for a second post.

Cripps was magnificent. He almost willed the team over the line. I have to go back to 1965 and Barassi at Vic Park. We won that day and Big Nick carried RDB to the rooms. Cripps was everything that Barass was that day. I am in awe of his talent and determination.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly this happens every ******* week. We get molested by umpires

How wasn’t the Maynard goal not called back? It was touched by Elliot!!!
We just get rorted every week
funny, that's what every other club supporter says......

I'm am actually really happy for JSOS, thought he was BOG for us in the first half, or very close. Could be one of the big bonuses of the season.
Didn't do much wrong today did Jack.

The club knows it, hence going hard for Rockliff and Shiel, but obviously they don't want to play for a bottom team.
Pretty short sighted by those players really.

Blind freddy can see our young talent and potential. They could have come here, get plenty of ball helping a young midfield flourish all the while playing alongside a behemoth like Cripps. The good times could come pretty quick too.

I can't agree. If the team effectively competes for 3+ qtrs but then capitulates under pressure in the final minutes (as we have done in several games) it seems to me the problem is not age, physical or skills based, but a mental (between the ears) one. The teams that win premierships at lower levels of AFL are the ones that can lift under pressure at critical times.

Opposition also cruised for 3 quarters and decided to turn it on late, like good experienced teams can do.

Another learning curve for a very young group.

Am not going to praise todays awesome team effort, because the captain's example, while walking off the ground after the game, rightfully suggests I should be pissed off, as he was, at our failure to get the 4 points. Not one player was smiling.

Special individual mentions for Blues.

Crippa
Cunners
Charlie
Levi
Gibbons
Walsh
Weitering
JSOS

Special individual mentions for Pies.
Umpires; had an awesome game for the Pies.

Sorry but we lost the game (again) because we fold under pressure in the final minutes of close games. Nothing to do with the umpires.
It’s a massive ask to expect the players to be able to withstand both the onslaught from the Pies and the umps though.

When the umps are adding extra pressure by gifting goals and momentum to your opposition for most of the game as well as not rewarding you for tackles etc how can that not create extra pressure especially in a close game. That extra pressure can then result in mistakes like we saw.

In a perfect world we should be able to overcome but the point is we shouldn’t have to.

Back