Analysis The rebuild of Carlton and Brisbane and their future prospects

Which team has the better future prospects on-field?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think so, a lot more to come, this time next year we wont be able to find you.....or Fadge.

Happy to be proven wrong, been told this many times, don't think it will happen and you still be able to find "people like you" (aka people who show any critique towards Carlton). Unless we get banned - but I don't plan on having that happen.

Hugh is a bloody gun, but Walsh is a cyborg and not of this realm.

Have watched both plenty this year.

Update: Hugh is on 23 AFLCA votes (15th overall) and Walsh is on 5 votes.

To anyone who didn't see the context: I understand that Hugh has been in the system for 2 more years than Sam. This poster made the claim that Sam is a better player than Hugh right now which is clearly not true.

You are going to continue with this? On average age that day Carlton were a year ahead and you had four players with 150 games compared to our 0. But keep spinning it around. It’s hard to argue against facts.

Yes, it is hard to argue against facts:

- More players U21.
- More players with fewer than 50 games.
- More players with fewer 100 games.

This is not the hallmark of a “much more experienced” side. You’re either being dishonest, or you just never learned what the mean of a sample can tell you and what it can’t.

Having a few older buggers on a team doesn’t suddenly make all the younger and less experienced players become older and more experienced. Yes, that’s what happens to the average, but that’s not what happens in reality; which is why averages alone are never used to calculate such things. Ironically, what’s needed here is the very thing you’re advocating be ignored - variance.

This is not an opinion that’s up for debate. If you don’t understand my point, head to your nearest high school maths department with data in hand and ask them to explain it to you.

Recruit a glut of like Mullet, M.Shaw and O’Shea to delist them after one year and talk up list turnover numbers!!

The fact that after four years at the trade/FA table SoS has failed to bring in a mature player better than L.Jones speaks for itself.

He didn’t even bring in Jones.

I agree it’s been the single biggest failing of the list build, lack of decent senior players bought in.

Newman looks to be a good one though, and Matthew Wright was a good pick up too.

Our rookie drafting has been deplorable too.

Comparing Carlton’s percentage over 7 games to Brisbane’s entire 2018 season is more than a little disingenuous.

Carlton have had a relatively easy draw to this point and have some tough challenges to come. What made our percentage so admirable last year was keeping it respectable even as the season dragged on, the young guys tired and there was less and less to play for. These are questions Carlton haven’t had a chance to answer yet.

They need to respond today vs Collingwood. They probably can’t win but they need to make it uncomfortable for the Pies for patches of the game.

Last edited:
He didn’t even bring in Jones.

I agree it’s been the single biggest failing of the list build, lack of decent senior players bought in.

Newman looks to be a good one though, and Matthew Wright was a good pick up too.

Our rookie drafting has been deplorable too.
Yeah I know he didn’t bring in Jones, that was my point.

Jones was a senior player Carlton brought in from the Dogs for a late draft pick. You don’t need to give up the earth to bring in senior talent.

Plenty of blame on Carlton having a dearth of decent senior players has to come to SOS and his woeful four years of recruiting.

I think we will play finals in 2020.

A Carlton v Brisbane 2022 grand final is a more likely combo than most.

The system works. Both clubs have spent time looking hopeless. Both clubs are on the way up now while the Sydneys and Hawthorns slide. As it should be. The AFL is not the EPL, teams go up, teams go down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wanna have a bet? ...
You have the best player in the afl no question.yet can't win.. it's judd all over again.. If he goes down you guys are shot
This. No other club is so reliant on one player. Cripps goes down and Carlton likely don’t win another game this season.

This. No other club is so reliant on one player. Cripps goes down and Carlton likely don’t win another game this season.

It's because we have a MASSIVE hole in our list for 24-28 year olds. The Malthouse years set the club back a decade.

The club knows it, hence why we went hard for Rockliff and Shiel the past 2 seasons, but to no avail.

The demographic of our team is skewed too young (and too old in part). Plus, we have completely forgotten how to win games, otherwise we would have 3 extra wins against Gold Coast, Hawthorn and Collingwood.

It hurts, but the foundation looks reasonable for the 22 and unders (basically 2015 and later draftees).

Opening myself up to a barrage of angry posts here, but I was very disappointed that Cripps went missing when the game was on the line.

He gets an incredible amount of plaudits and deservedly so but I think Blues fans should be filthy with his last ten minutes.

Thats a poor post. Was BOG today.
I could be wrong, but if my memory serves me correct, he touched the ball once in the last nine and a half minutes and that was his kick that went out of bounds on the full and set-up the goal where Collingwood took the lead.

Not arguing that he wasn't absolutely brilliant for two and a half quarters, but when the game was there to be won, he couldn't get near the ball. And that isn't good enough for a leader in my opinion.

Wanna have a bet? ...
You have the best player in the afl no question.yet can't win.. it's judd all over again.. If he goes down you guys are shot

We were never this bad with Judd and played finals 4 times.

Least amount of wins in any Judd completed season was 7.5 in 2014.

Not that I blame crippa now, we just have a very bad team, with young talent but no experienced players

I could be wrong, but if my memory serves me correct, he touched the ball once in the last nine and a half minutes and that was his kick that went out of bounds on the full and set-up the goal where Collingwood took the lead.

Not arguing that he wasn't absolutely brilliant for two and a half quarters, but when the game was there to be won, he couldn't get near the ball. And that isn't good enough for a leader in my opinion.
Some people are hard to please i guess

Opening myself up to a barrage of angry posts here, but I was very disappointed that Cripps went missing when the game was on the line.

He gets an incredible amount of plaudits and deservedly so but I think Blues fans should be filthy with his last ten minutes.
What game did you watch? He carried us in the last, took a hanger then 20 seconds followed up his work with a goal (was taken off for a spell after this).

Came back in, had an immediate impact again then narrowly missed a goal to put us in front. He’s the only reason we were ever in the game.

Edit: yep 10 touches and 1.1 in the last quarter - went missing though. Got to be kidding me.

What game did you watch? He carried us in the last, took a hanger then 20 seconds followed up his work with a goal (was taken off for a spell after this).

Came back in, had an immediate impact again then narrowly missed a goal to put us in front. He’s the only reason we were ever in the game.

Edit: yep 10 touches and 1.1 in the last quarter - went missing though. Got to be kidding me.
Talking specifically about his last nine and a half minutes of game time. Bottled it in my opinion.

He's an excellent player but he shouldn't be immune from criticism given Carlton are where they are and gave away another game that was there for the taking.

Back