GWS and Collingwood - who had the quicker rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
Collingwood finished in the bottom in 2021 4 before hiring a Dimma protege (Craig McRae) as senior coaches. We made a prelim after beating an interstate side in FW2 and fell short in Fly's first season losing in Sydney.

Fast forward to now and GWS hired a Dimma protege (Adam Kingsley) had a similar path and now in a preliminary final after beating an interstate side in FW2

Who had a faster rebuild?

Collingwood finished in the bottom in 2021 4 before hiring a Dimma protege (Craig McRae) as senior coaches. We made a prelim after beating an interstate side in FW2 and fell short in Fly's first season losing in Sydney.

Fast forward to now and GWS hired a Dimma protege (Adam Kingsley) had a similar path and now in a preliminary final after beating an interstate side in FW2

Who had a faster rebuild?
I dont think either team "rebuilt", collingwood were a lot closer to a rebuild as they got gifted Daicos, but the talent for the most part was already on both lists.
I pay more attention to GWS than the Pies, and it looked like most of all it took for GWS to come good again was simply dumping a couple of mids, replacing them in the 22 with actual forwards, then putting players back in their best positions

Collingwood doesn't rebuild, only teams like North, Suns, West Coast and Hawks rebuild.

Pies players protested a season to get rid of Buckley a few years ago.

GWS have been an eye opener this past 12 weeks. I think early in their history everyone expected a flag given the list that they had but they never really clicked...until this year.

Not sure either club has "rebuilt" but in terms of impressive turn arounds it is hard to go past GWS especially when you think about the talent that has actually left the club in the last 3 years and still they have been able to get to where they are.

Pies have put together a good list but KOTD by father sons.

I guess the real answer to this question will be given this weekend.

GWS have been an eye opener this past 12 weeks. I think early in their history everyone expected a flag given the list that they had but they never really clicked...until this year.

Not sure either club has "rebuilt" but in terms of impressive turn arounds it is hard to go past GWS especially when you think about the talent that has actually left the club in the last 3 years and still they have been able to get to where they are.

Pies have put together a good list but KOTD by father sons.

I guess the real answer to this question will be given this weekend.

Do you want father sons removed from the game ?

Absolutely not. All I am saying is Pies (like Cats a few years ago) got very lucky with them. Maybe when the Riewoldt boys grow up.....

Oh nah thats fair. Just see a lot of people opposed on BigFooty with FS

hah Yeah was just thinking, Surely some Riewoldts on the horizon!

Did either side have much of a rebuild?

Can't recall either side having significant list turn overs. Core players still the same.

Collingwood still have 11 players from the 2018 Grand Final in their best 22. Moore (who didn't play in the GF) has been around since 2015. Elliot was also not present in the 2018 GF but has been a gun for a while. Darcy Cameron became a main stay in 2021 in Buck's final year, as did John Noble.

Can only think of a few players Fly has really blooded in as mainstays of the 22. Off the top of my head McCreery and Naicos, as well as additions such as Mitchell and Hill. Players such as Josh Daicos and Quaynor who were at the club prior have started to reach new heights.

From a GWS perspective, I think it's 8 players from the 2019 GF so it appears they have cut more, but they have always had an elite core of mature players.

Seems like it was just a new coach and new ideas rather than strictly a list restructure. Previous coaching regime was getting stale for both clubs.

Both previous coaches played very conservative football. New coaches are playing more modern aggressive territory based football.

Just checking - is father -son only available to Collingwood? You'd swear we were the only one's to ever get players through it. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood doesn't rebuild, only teams like North, Suns, West Coast and Hawks rebuild.

Pies players protested a season to get rid of Buckley a few years ago.
Maybe Pies need to take a leaf out of WCE and Hawthorn's books then?

A rebuild might actually win them a flag.

By the same logic Geelong rebuilt in 2022.

A freshen up of 5-10 players isn't a rebuild, particularly when your prime movers remain the same players.

Credit to both sides for what they've done, but it's through the efforts of the new coaches rather than turning over the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back