Missed free kick after siren: changes result of tonight’s game

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people keep being obtuse about this.

The act itself had zero impact on the game. Zero.

Here's another one - let's say it's the exact same situation and one of the Swans players on the bench wanders 5m on to the field because he's so nervous and doesn't realise what he's doing. Technically, 19 men on the ground and it should be a free to Essendon. Instead, the umpire uses common sense and sees that the act is having zero impact so he says "Hey, get off the field." Player gets off the field. Myers still misses because he, shock, can't kick the ball 70 metres.
Whether it had impact on the game or not isn't really the point. It was against the rules and a free kick should have been paid.

How many 50M penalties get paid for players going close to the man on the mark, that has zero impact on the player as half the time they don't even realise they're there, and yet a penalty is paid regardless.

I'm not. A free kick should've been paid, to say it had no impact on the game is moronic.
So what? Where does it say breaking a rule has to impact the game before the free kick is paid?
Here's another one - let's say it's the exact same situation and one of the Swans players on the bench wanders 5m on to the field because he's so nervous and doesn't realise what he's doing. Technically, 19 men on the ground and it should be a free to Essendon. Instead, the umpire uses common sense and sees that the act is having zero impact so he says "Hey, get off the field." Player gets off the field. Myers still misses because he, shock, can't kick the ball 70 metres.
Then we'd have the same problem, umpire used common sense instead of the rules excuse is hilariously stupid. Good what if scenario champ.

Reality is we lost, that can't change and won't change. But let's not pretend that the missed free kick had zero impact on the result. It absolutely would've changed the result.

If I was Longmire, I would strip him of his co-captaincy. His actions on Friday night of umpire abuse and goal post molestation are not those of a leader. His follow up explanation on twitter sounded contrite as well - I bet he was having a laugh with his teammates afterwards.

longmire seemed totally complicit in it if you look at this AFL 360 interview. There was even video of him to Rampe saying "that was a free kick" after the game.

didn't have the balls or integrity ti admit it should have been a free kick and took the total gutless action of just choosing to not comment on it.

Umpire stuffed up and yes I am a bombers supporter.
Arguments about intent and impact are beside the point, what Rampe did was against the rules of the game.

longmire seemed totally complicit in it if you look at this AFL 360 interview. There was even video of him to Rampe saying "that was a free kick" after the game.

didn't have the balls or integrity ti admit it should have been a free kick and took the total gutless action of just choosing to not comment on it.
Brought the game into disrepute with that interview

Probably a governance issue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's he been charged with? He got charged with conduct unbecoming for language to an umpire, nothing for the post, just a please-explain.

you clearly have no idea. He was fined for both incidents. $10,000 for what he said to the ump and $1000 for climbing the post........

so explain to me how does the AFL fine a bloke yet a free kick isnt even paid?

terrible post.

AFL clubs employ people to manage the interchange, If they somehow allow a nervous player to get on the field than they rightly so should be penalized via a free kick.

the issue is this;

The umpire didn't warn Devon Smith to get out of the way before paying a 100m penalty that resulted in a goal to the Swans, he paid it instantly. Why should they be allowed to warn Rampe to get off the goal post which would have resulted in a goal to us?

if you cant see this for what it is then pity on you.

It wasn’t actually a big deal in the scheme of things - it’s a missed free kick - but the AFL’s actions since have been the issue.

The nobbling of their own MRO process, their blatant bullshit around not calling it what it was: a simple error. Their PR machine swinging into gear with Rampe getting a script to read.

There’s a pattern of their behaviour here.

It seems people are more than happy for them to adjudicate based on gambling outcomes rather than the rule book.

Of course, the AFL receive millions each year from their gambling partners.

Nothing to see here, move along.

It wasn’t actually a big deal in the scheme of things - it’s a missed free kick - but the AFL’s actions since have been the issue.

The nobbling of their own MRO process, their blatant ******** around not calling it what it was: a simple error. Their PR machine swinging into gear with Rampe getting a script to read.

It seems people are more than happy for them to adjudicate based on gambling outcomes rather than the rule book.

id be more than happy if the AFL just said look, it was a mistake by the umpire, a free kick should have been paid and we let it go.

instead of that the AFL just went into their usual protect the umprie bullshit mode and now they have dug themselves into a hole that just makes them look more stupid than usual.

They tick off that its OK, not a free kick to climb a goal post when someone shaving a set shot yet issue the guy a $1000 fine for doing it? Pack of morons.

The nobbling of their own MRO process, their blatant ******** around not calling it what it was: a simple error. Their PR machine swinging into gear with Rampe getting a script to read.

I actually came to post the same thing.

My issue isn't necessarily the umpire not calling the free kick. He might not have known the rules (although umpires not knowing the rules isn't a good look). My issue is with everything else that happened after it.

I'm glad that the media and general public are not letting this slide. The AFL have to own up to it. Can't fine someone for breaching nothing. Was that a fine for damaging the AFL's credibility? If it was a fine for shaking the goal post like other previous goal post shakers, then own up to it.

It’s a shame salty fans don’t give you wins , Essendon might have avoided being a joke for almost 2 decades

ironic coming from you lot considering how you acted when COLA was stripped from you, you know. that thing that was given to you for being a joke of a club for 70 years. At least the AFL still has your back i guess?

The nobbling of their own MRO process, their blatant ******** around not calling it what it was: a simple error.
But it wasn't a simple error.
It's something most people think should be a free but the rule book doesn't currently say it's a free. If the ump saw Rampe intentionally shaking the post I think he would have paid a free.

Yeah the fine is definitely AFLs guilt. Don’t think they’d fine him if the free kick was paid, just trying to make up for it knowing they ****ed up. The fact they come out and defend the umpire then go and punish Rampe outside the match is confusing. Just say the umpire got it wrong and I’m sure Essendon supporters would take that and move on (after being understandably pissed for the entire weekend).

They fined him for the little girl comment but that wasn't a free either, where's the outrage? You can be fined for things that aren't frees, it's always been like that.

The big issue here is the rule book not covering this situation other than with the catch all conduct umbecoming clause. They need to put something in it about interfering with posts being a free.

Yeah the fine is definitely AFLs guilt. Don’t think they’d fine him if the free kick was paid, just trying to make up for it knowing they ****ed up. The fact they come out and defend the umpire then go and punish Rampe outside the match is confusing. Just say the umpire got it wrong and I’m sure Essendon supporters would take that and move on (after being understandably pissed for the entire weekend).
Im sure they'll say it was the old "bringing the game into disripute" rule.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back