Opinion Pick your best 22 of the past decade (2007-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Enright Scarlett Gibson
H.Shaw Rance Hodge
Burgoyne Mitchell Pendlebury
Bartel Franklin Martin
S.Johnson J.Kennedy WC Betts
Cox Judd ; Ablett
J.Kennedy SS, Swan, T.Mitchell, Roughead

B: Shaun Burgoyne (PA/Haw) - Matthew Scarlett (Geel) - Brian Lake (WB/Haw)

HB: Jimmy Bartel (Geel) - Alex Rance (Rich) - Sam Mitchell (Haw/WC)

C: Patrick Dangerfield (Adel/Geel) - Joel Selwood (Geel) - Adam Goodes (Syd)

HF: Cyril Rioli (Haw) - Nick Riewoldt (StK) - Lance Franklin (Haw/Syd)

F: Eddie Betts (Carl/Adel) - Josh J Kennedy (Carl/WC) - Dustin Martin (Rich)

Foll: Dean Cox (WC), Chris Judd (WC/Carl), Gary Ablett (Geel/GC)

I/C: Matthew Pavlich (Frem), Josh Kennedy (Syd), Scott Pendlebury (Coll), Lenny Hayes (StK)

Emergencies: Dane Swan (Coll), Luke Hodge (Haw), Nat Fyfe (Frem)

Club-by-club breakdown:
Adelaide x2 (Dangerfield, Betts)
Brisbane x0
Carlton x3 (Judd, Betts, Kennedy)
Collingwood x2 (Pendlebury, Swan)
Essendon x0
Fremantle x2 (Fyfe, Pav)
Geelong x5 (Scarlett, Bartel, Dangerfield, Selwood, Ablett)
Gold Coast x1 (Ablett)
GWS Giants x0
Hawthorn x6 (Burgoyne, Lake, Mitchell, Rioli, Franklin, Hodge)
Melbourne x0
North Melbourne x0
Port Adelaide x1 (Burgoyne)
Richmond x2 (Rance, Martin)
St Kilda x2 (Riewoldt, Hayes)
Sydney x2 (Franklin, Kennedy, Goodes)
WC Eagles x4 (Cox, Kennedy, Judd, Mitchell)
Western Bulldogs x1 (Lake/Harris)

Stiff to miss:
Marcus Bontempelli, Max Gawn, Steve Johnson, Rory Sloane, Jordan Lewis, Heath Shaw, Jobe Watson, Simon Black, Corey Enright, Stephen Milne, Jarryd Roughead, Toby Greene, Zach Merrett, Adam Treloar, Robbie Gray, Marc Murphy, Josh Gibson, Heath Grundy, Aaron Sandilands, Rob Murphy, Callan Ward, Trent Cotchin, Taylor Walker, Harry Taylor, Tom Lonergan, Luke McPharlin, Nathan Jones, Dan Hannebery, Scott Thompson, Scott Thompson.
Why is Mitchell in defence?

FB: H.Shaw, M.Scarlett, J.Gibson
HB: L.Hodge, A.Rance, C.Enright
C: S.Pendlebury, S.Mitchell, D.Swan
HF: P.Dangerfield, L.Franklin, B.Harvey
FF: R.Gray, J.Kennedy, N.Riewoldt
R: D.Cox, C.Judd, J.Ablett
Int: J.Selwood, L.Hayes, S.Burgoyne, A.Sandilands

B: A.Rance - M.Scarlett - H.Shaw
HB: B.Goddard - H.Taylor - L.Hodge
C: S.Pendlebury - S.Mitchell - A.Goodes
HF: P.Dangerfield - N.Riewoldt - S.Johnson
F: E.Betts - L.Franklin - C.Rioli
R: D.Cox - C.Judd - G.Ablett
INT: M.Pavlich - D.Swan - J.Selwood - N.Fyfe

A.Rance - M.Scarlett - H.Shaw
HB: B.Goddard - H.Taylor - L.Hodge
C: S.Pendlebury - S.Mitchell - N.Fyffe
HF: P.Dangerfield - N.Riewoldt - S.Johnson
F: J.Riewoldt - L.Franklin - C.Rioli
R: D.Cox - C.Judd - G.Ablett
INT: M.Pavlich - D.Swan - J.Selwood - D.Martin

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

B: C. Enright - M. Scarlett - H. Shaw
HB: A. Rance - L. McPharlin - L. Hodge
C: A. Gaff - S. Mitchell - B. Hill
HF: S. Milne - N. Riewoldt - S. Johnson
F: C. Rioli - L. Franklin - L. Breust
R: D. Cox - C. Judd - G. Ablett
INT: A. Sandilands - S. Pendlebury - N. Fyfe - E. Wood

Enright Scarlett Gibson
Hodge Rance Burgoyne
Gaff S.Pendelbury Dangerfield
Franklin N.Riewoldt S.Johnson
Rioli Kennedy Betts

Cox Ablett Mitchell

Int: Pavlich Selwood Swan Grundy

I've tried to be more realistic in the team. Hence why Gaff is on the wing and Kennedy is full-forward. Dangerfield might be out of position on a wing, but with his speed you could see him playing well there.

I don't rate Judd so that's why he isn't in my team. He did nothing to make those around him better imo. Goodes was stiff.

I've selected Grundy because he is probably going to end up in the conversation for the greatest ruck ever. An exceptional player that is without peer currently.

Enright Scarlett Gibson
Hodge Rance Burgoyne
Gaff S.Pendelbury Dangerfield
Franklin N.Riewoldt S.Johnson
Rioli Kennedy Betts

Cox Ablett Mitchell

Int: Pavlich Selwood Swan Grundy

I've tried to be more realistic in the team. Hence why Gaff is on the wing and Kennedy is full-forward. Dangerfield might be out of position on a wing, but with his speed you could see him playing well there.

I don't rate Judd so that's why he isn't in my team. He did nothing to make those around him better imo. Goodes was stiff.

I've selected Grundy because he is probably going to end up in the conversation for the greatest ruck ever. An exceptional player that is without peer currently.

Burgoyne incredibly overrated. A decent player in very good sides.

The most clutch player of his generation. Period.

Granted, yes. But that doesn't place him in the team of the decade. Yes hes won 4 flags good on him, nobody will ever scoff at that.

But his overall performance, never won a club best and fairest, won only one All Australian selection. You dont always need to be a good player to win a premiership, the list can go on forever.

I think he is a decent player, with good clutch, in very good sides that netted a few flags.

Granted, yes. But that doesn't place him in the team of the decade. Yes hes won 4 flags good on him, nobody will ever scoff at that.

But his overall performance, never won a club best and fairest, won only one All Australian selection. You dont always need to be a good player to win a premiership, the list can go on forever.

I think he is a decent player, with good clutch, in very good sides that netted a few flags.

Ultimately it's all subjective.

Burgoyne didn't win the accolades because he was ultimate team/role player. He literally played wherever there was a need or often a problem. Back/Forward/Mid.

Many blokes have run around getting stats and collecting All Australian selections or B&f's in weaker teams, but I rate him so highly because of his willingness to do whatever was required for the team. He rarely lost one one ones, and his skills were unbelievable. That's why he gets the last spot on my bench as he is so versatile and team orientated.

B: C. Enright - M. Scarlett - H. Shaw
HB: A. Rance - L. McPharlin - L. Hodge
C: A. Gaff - S. Mitchell - B. Hill
HF: S. Milne - N. Riewoldt - S. Johnson
F: C. Rioli - L. Franklin - L. Breust
R: D. Cox - C. Judd - G. Ablett
INT: A. Sandilands - S. Pendlebury - N. Fyfe - E. Wood
No Dane Swan yet you have Brad Hill in the side? LOL

No Dane Swan yet you have Brad Hill in the side? LOL
I went for two traditional wings. Swan was more of an on-baller and would be competing with Sam Mitchell, Chris Judd, Gary Ablett, Nat Fyfe, and Scott Pendlebury for a spot - and the most likely I would swap out of that lot for Swan would be Pendlebury. I feel like Pendlebury has been more consistent over his career, though (not quite reaching the same heights, but that sheer consistency makes him more valuable IMO).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corey Enright - Matthew Scarlett - Alex Rance
Andrew Mackie - Brian Lake - Luke Hodge
Dane Swan - Jobe Watson - Scott Pendlebury
Patrick Dangerfield - Jack Riewoldt - Lance Franklin
Luke Breust - Josh J Kennedy - Eddie Betts
Dean Cox - Gary Ablett - Chris Judd
Adam Goodes - Nathan Fyfe - Jimmy Bartel - Sam Mitchell

Last edited:
If you don't have the bloke who at 30 has won 3 Coleman's, AAs and kicked over 600 goals in that time (the most behind Franklin) in the forward line then I think you've got that line wrong.

For starters, 2018 doesn't count in the equation of 2007-2017....And the 2 times prior Riewoldt was equal leading goal-kicker only, but then overtaken during finals.

So technically, he's never actually won a Coleman at all in my books during the period in question, by being the leading goal-kicker at the end of the season on his lonesome.

Having Buddy at Full Forward & Nick Riewoldt at CHF is a more than acceptable outcome....Besides.....I'd plump for Pavlich ahead of Jaack Riewoldt as the 3rd tall option every time.

So technically, he's never actually won a Coleman at all in my books during the period in question, by being the leading goal-kicker at the end of the season on his lonesome.
Perhaps the stupidest thing I've ever read on this site.

I do feel for him though that he's never won a Procrastinator35 Medal of your own criteria.

Perhaps the stupidest thing I've ever read on this site.

I do feel for him though that he's never won a Procrastinator35 Medal of your own criteria.

You don't get around big footy much at all then....Next you'll be claiming that Shane Edwards is better than Cyril Rioli & was a deserved AA.:cool:

Is Burgoyne really in the top 22 players of the last decade?
* Helluva fine player, a terrific finals player, and that has to count for a lot, but his one and only AA selection came way back in 2006. He's never won a club B&F. Playing very well in finals is obviously something that is highly rated, but playing well in the H&A games still has to count for plenty! From 2009 onwards his Brownlow votes tally has been: 0, 7, 0, 6, 3, 3, 2, 8, 5, 0.

He's had two AA squad selections in the last decade - Tom Scully has had two, Jack Gunston four, and I doubt many people are thinking seriously about them for this team!!

Last edited:
Not at all, and realistically, not even that close! Helluva fine player, a terrific finals player, and that has to count for a lot, but his one and only AA selection came way back in 2006. He's never won a club B&F. Playing very well in finals is obviously something that is highly rated, but playing well in the H&A games still has to count for plenty! From 2009 onwards his Brownlow votes tally has been: 0, 7, 0, 6, 3, 3, 2, 8, 5, 0.

He's had two AA squad selections in the last decade - Tom Scully has had two, Jack Gunston four, and I doubt many people are thinking seriously about them for this team!!

You have completely contradicted yourself here in the one sentence....And as for Hero Head Healy's AA being a legitimate gauge?....Just LOL.

Burgoyne has essentially played as a stop-gap, trouble-shooter in his time at Hawthorn over the period in question.....That is the ONLY reason for why he only has one AA award….The fact is that his numbers - when playing in defence as the medium defender - where the best in the league, even better than Enright in fact.... But because he played all over the ground when called upon for the side, he never got to play there consistently enough to receive the award for the relevant position ....The same is also true of Luke Hodge....Rather than being an argument against his significance & importance as a player, this is actually an argument for his importance to the side as a key playmaker in it.

Hodge & Burgoyne played multiple roles & that is the single reason for why they both don't have multiple AA's. as they should have....Burgoyne's consistency for Hawthorn over their recent era of dominance, in the period in question, was second to Sam Mitchell alone.....And as one of the best players for the most dominant team in the era, he easily qualifies for the Top 22.

And your concluding argument in comparing Scully & Gunston with him is just silly, & merely serves to highlight what a joke both the AA's & your argument for them - as any real & accurate gauge or measure - are.

You have completely contradicted yourself here in the one sentence....And as for Hero Head Healy's AA being a legitimate gauge?....Just LOL.

Burgoyne has essentially played as a stop-gap, trouble-shooter in his time at Hawthorn over the period in question.....That is the ONLY reason for why he only has one AA award….The fact is that his numbers - when playing in defence as the medium defender - where the best in the league, even better than Enright in fact.... But because he played all over the ground when called upon for the side, he never got to play there consistently enough to receive the award for the relevant position ....The same is also true of Luke Hodge....Rather than being an argument against his significance & importance as a player, this is actually an argument for his importance to the side as a key playmaker in it.

Hodge & Burgoyne played multiple roles & that is the single reason for why they both don't have multiple AA's. as they should have....Burgoyne's consistency for Hawthorn over their recent era of dominance, in the period in question, was second to Sam Mitchell alone.....And as one of the best players for the most dominant team in the era, he easily qualifies for the Top 22.

And your concluding argument in comparing Scully & Gunston with him is just silly, & merely serves to highlight what a joke both the AA's & your argument for them - as any real & accurate gauge or measure - are.
Maybe you take this a little too seriously! Any perceived insult to your team or it's players and you come along with one of your rants! We don't all have to agree on these things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back