Review Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps, however when the following week you don't kick a goal for 45 minutes and end up losing the game and think generally Barrass had his pants pulled down, well then it makes us look arrogant! On the general board a few opposing supporters made comments along these lines! I was a bit concerned pre-game after such an easy win last week that the boys may not go in with the right mindset. Perhaps a good lesson learned?

Yea, and you don’t want give the op any ammunition
Worsfold (as coach) took that to the nth degree-with his impersonation of an inanimate object..
Good lesson/ slap/ reality check
Look at Richmond last year, for all b to b hype, they didn’t even get to the gf

Better to think like BP - the quiet achiever

Rioli: looks underdone and struggling to keep up with our defensive transition. Needs a spell in the wafl.

Kennedy: right now look like he needs to retire and leave it to Allen to take over. Playing both of them is affecting our game as we have 1 less runner.

Barrass: dare I say it but Schofield is better at 1 on 1 playing on the opposition tall forward. Cox wouldn't have got a look in if he was playing on Schofield. We may have two players the same in barrass and McGovern . We won the flag with Schofield playing on the oppo best forward as Shephard went down.

Hickey: has moments of excellence usually covered by 90 percent s**t. There is a reason the lowly s**t saints didn't want him. He can't be part of a premiership team. Brain fades cost flags.

Natanui: our much loved ruckman and talisman. With Hickey as our second ruck and Kennedy/Allen in the side we can't afford him to be on limited minutes. We need Hickey or Kennedy out so natanui needs to be on more game time to correct to balance in our structure or Kennedy goes out.

Simpson: needs a ******* rocket under the team. None of this Simpson rubbish about not going off at them for that loss. This was a premiership flag game and he got put coached and his selections were poor.
Achee should have stayed in and given Kennedy another week off. Schofield omission coat us the game with cox being badly out of form and effectively having nobody play on him we run him back into some form.

Not sure if we beat Melbourne with this team. Desperate times right now with our selections key to getting back on track and getting our players to play 4 quarters not 2 per game.

Last edited:

Rioli: looks underdone and struggling to keep up with our defensive transition. Needs a spell in the wafl.

Kennedy: right now look like he needs to retire and leave it to Allen to take over. Playing both of them is affecting our game as we have 1 less runner.

Barrass: dare I say it but Schofield is better at 1 on 1 playing on the opposition tall forward. Cox wouldn't have got a look in if he was playing on Schofield. We may have two players the same in barrass and Schofield. We won the flag with Schofield playing on the oppo best forward as Shephard went down.

Hickey: has moments of excellence usually covered by 90 percent s**t. There is a reason the lowly s**t saints didn't want him. He can't be part of a premiership team. Brain fades cost flags.

Natanui: our much loved ruckman and talisman. With Hickey as our second ruck and Kennedy/Allen in the side we can't afford him to be on limited minutes. We need Hickey or Kennedy out so natanui needs to be on more game time to correct to balance in our structure or Kennedy goes out.

Simpson: needs a ******* rocket under the team. None of this Simpson rubbish about not going off at them for that loss. This was a premiership flag game and he got put coached and his selections were poor.
Achee should have stayed in and given Kennedy another week off. Schofield omission coat us the game with coz being badly out of form and effectively having nobody play on him we run him back into some form.

Not sure if we beat Melbourne with this team. Desperate times right now with our selections key to getting back on track and getting our players to play 4 quarters not 2 per game.

Bit hard for Ah Chee to play with an injury

Anyone know the dimensions of that postage stamp in Alice?

Barrass: dare I say it but Schofield is better at 1 on 1 playing on the opposition tall forward. Cox wouldn't have got a look in if he was playing on Schofield. We may have two players the same in barrass and Schofield. We won the flag with Schofield playing on the oppo best forward as Shephard went down.

Achee should have stayed in and given Kennedy another week off. Schofield omission coat us the game with coz being badly out of form and effectively having nobody play on him we run him back into some form.

I wouldn't say it's desperate times, I mean whatever happens for the rest of the weekend we're still top 4 and equal on points with 2nd spot.
I would say we've got a few unfit guys who are working their way back in to fitness, we played a couple of games in the wet in a row and we reportedly had a heavy training load during the week. All that together with Cripps going out, Nic Nat hurting his ankle early and Gov copping that knock probably created a situation where we just couldn't run out the game.
I would be playing what we think is our best 22 finals team now (barring injury) and letting them gel and build their fitness together, we might still lose another couple of games but come finals time we'll be better for it.

Think this is the mental side of recovering from a second ACL.

I’ve heard him say a few times he has had to relearn how to land from jumping, so he won’t do it again.

Yeah fair call bruv, we can't expect a double ACL injury to not leave mental scars.

But he jumps and competes in the ruck without any fuss, he also jumps and spoils the ball, no issues..... 🤷‍♂️

His jumping is fine, it's specifically his marking which is non existent. He'll choose to jump up and spoil a 177cm Jamie Elliot, than try to mark it.

He'll bring the ball to ground easily enough, which is fine if you're a spud like Mason Cox, but we need him to realistically start taking contested marks again.

Yeah fair call bruv, we can't expect a double ACL injury to not leave mental scars.

But he jumps and competes in the ruck without any fuss, he also jumps and spoils the ball, no issues..... 🤷‍♂️

His jumping is fine, it's specifically his marking which is non existent. He'll choose to jump up and spoil a 177cm Jamie Elliot, than try to mark it.

He'll bring the ball to ground easily enough, which is fine if you're a spud like Mason Cox, but we need him to realistically start taking contested marks again.

Yeah, not sure. He never took a heap of contested marks though. I thought he held 1 or 2 last night.

It has always been the follow up efforts for me that made Nic what he is and that is still definitely there.

Like your initial comments his first quarter was pretty good and maybe like everyone else he was just gassed by the last quarter.

Where do people keep getting this from? The first half sucked IMO.

Our defense was the worst it has been in all of 2019. The worst for a long time. Total dogs breakfast. Made spuds look like superstars.

How people can say we played well in the first half at the ease Collingwood scored all it's goals surprises me.

Tell me a game where we moved the ball this Year better than last night against a quality side who was on fire, I'll wait.

I did say the defense especially McGovern who cannot one on one for s**t fed Cox 3 goals, how many times has Cox done that in his career? Our forwards weakness is tall opposition, as mentioned franklin this year and last year.

Other than those goals by Cox collingwoods goals were worked hard for and deserved, and our smaller defense Jetta, Hurn and shepp did pretty damn well, remember collingwood was not s**t last night, that was probably their best performance of the year.

We lost yeah I get it.

The good thing is we can go over the game before finals to see what we need to work on because we will no doubt be playing Collingwood at some point.

Defenders letting Cox and Mihocek kick 7 cost the game. Garbage.

Last quarter collapse could cost us big time in the final wash up.

Barrass and Gov had 7 kicked on them by two of the lowest ranked key forwards in the competition.

I'd like to know how that happened and also how we went 40 odd minutes without scoring a single point.

Boys?

Did the Derby lake that much out of us?

Not the reason we lost but:

Another question I'd like to ask is the conditions. Did it rain? So many players were slipping over and the ground looked slippery under foot. Not dewy but wet and slippery. Seems to be a trend this season and I'd like to know how much was the ground watered pre game in an effort to soften the ground. It is becoming obvious that 4cm of soil and turf on top of 30 of sand is a total cluster f#%. Instead of the best playing surface we are getting a hodge podge slippery crap playing surface because the only way to soften it a bit is the over water. The silver lining is we are now playing better in wet games (not last night though). All I ask is or a decent dry deck for us to take advantage o with our talls and use our skills.

Thought the game was fairly well umpired except the off the ball stuff applied to our backmen by Collingwood. Lots of blocking very far off the ball that would be an easy free kick on another day. Looked super gassed up forward and struggled to compete in the air and on the ground in that last qtr. Rioli unfit, JKK unfit, NicNat unfit, Ryan carrying a knock and Cripps going off all contributed to us really slowing down forward of centre. Also thought our mids got beaten up around the ball in the last and a bit of this would be Nic Nat/Hickey vs Grundy. Grundy tore us up in the last.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, not sure. He never took a heap of contested marks though. I thought he held 1 or 2 last night.

It has always been the follow up efforts for me that made Nic what he is and that is still definitely there.

Like your initial comments his first quarter was pretty good and maybe like everyone else he was just gassed by the last quarter.

Marking has never been a strong suit of Nicnats, but he'd still attempt it, and obviously take the occasional speccy.

Last night he had one uncontested grab which Collingwood soccered off the ground and skewed into his lap or something.

Tell me a game where we moved the ball this Year better than last night against a quality side who was on fire, I'll wait.

I did say the defense especially McGovern who cannot one on one for s**t fed Cox 3 goals, how many times has Cox done that in his career? Our forwards weakness is tall opposition, as mentioned franklin this year and last year.

Other than those goals by Cox collingwoods goals were worked hard for and deserved, and our smaller defense Jetta, Hurn and shepp did pretty damn well, remember collingwood was not s**t last night, that was probably their best performance of the year.

We lost yeah I get it.

A quality side who was on fire? Collingwood wasn't on fire. They were dead ordinary in the first half. They only scored because we gave up easy goals.

We should have punished them during our periods of dominance, but we kept allowing easy goals with minimal midfield pressure and a laughably bad defense.

Collingwood didn't need to work hard for their goals until the last quarter when they were on top of us in pretty much every aspect of the game.

They did enough to stay in the game, and clearly lifted to a level we couldn't match in the last quarter, but personally i wouldn't call that a great game from Collingwood. It should have been finished before 3QT.

So we were beaten by a team which didn't even play that well. That's the bottom line IMO. Which says plenty about our overall game.

Few chicken littles getting around on this board.

We lost by a point to another Grand Final fancy.

We had to lose to Collingwood sometime and I’m happy that it was in Round 17 and not in a prelim.

We’ll still finish top 2.

Yep posters beginning to over analyse a 1 point loss.

Remember before our guys ran out of legs we had their measure AGAIN. We were 3 goals ahead and looking fine.

Like I said in pre game Collingwood didn't anything new (apart from questionable blocking) it was the same old Pies just didn't have the fitness to finish them off.

More then happy to play them first week of finals anywhere after we have had the week off and rested.

There’s a few positives to find.

Cameron continues to impress, can’t have asked for any more from him for his first few games.

Allen will be an very good player for this club. Liked the way he got into good positions to provide an option for others, doesn’t mind going hard for the contested marks.

From a Masten hater, he was pretty decent, he got stuck in, during a hard fought game, ran hard, put himself on the line.

Obviously we can play better than we did last night, Collingwood were up for this, much more than we were. Let’s just hope our injuries don’t harm out September form.

+ Jarrod Cameron

That is all

-Kennedy:He's cooked,this needs to be his last year.Fumbles,trips over his own feet,getting beaten 1 on 1 by spuds,cant have your key forward not having any impact on the game.

-Midfield lacking desperation to win clearances,particularly in the last quarter. Cant kick a score when we can't get it in out forward half.It put the backline under severe pressure in the last quarter.

-Lack of composure in the last quarter,just hack kicking it out of defensive 50 straight back to them.

-Kicking long to the boundary on the same side of the ground time after time.If it's not working,change it up ffs.

-Worst I've seen our backline play as a defensive 6 for a long time.

-Cole and Nelson need to go back to Wafl.Cole has gone backwards big time this year and Nelson is just not up to it.

One huge negative which isn't being talked about on here, is just what this loss has done for Collingwood.

Up until this we had a 5 game winning streak over them. A huge psychological advantage, having knocked them off time and time again in some big games. Coming up against them in finals this year, you'd count on us knocking them off again because we have the belief we can do it, and they'd have the doubts they can't. This isn't to be underestimated.

That's gone now. Completely. Coming over here, missing a few players and knocking us off at the death is MASSIVE for them. The belief it gives their entire team to get up in a close game at the very end against a bogey side, gives the sort of belief we found late last year after McGoverns goal vs Port.

Wouldn't be surprised if Collingwood build on this for the rest of the year. Adams not far off either.

Wrong person mentioned it was Barrass he was awful
Showed absolutely no respect to Collingwood forwards gave up 5 goals to them
Honestly we have had some players hardly touch the footy during games this year

But that Barrass game was the worst individual performance of a WCE player this year

Kennedy was worse.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

One huge negative which isn't being talked about on here, is just what this loss has done for Collingwood.

Up until this we had a 5 game winning streak over them. A huge psychological advantage, having knocked them off time and time again in some big games. Coming up against them in finals this year, you'd count on us knocking them off again because we have the belief we can do it, and they'd have the doubts they can't. This isn't to be underestimated.

That's gone now. Completely. Coming over here, missing a few players and knocking us off at the death is MASSIVE for them. The belief it gives their entire team to get up in a close game at the very end against a bogey side, gives the sort of belief we found late last year after McGoverns goal vs Port.

Wouldn't be surprised if Collingwood build on this for the rest of the year. Adams not far off either.

Could also go the other way, like Melbourne last year, all cocky thinking they can beat us at home, only to get demolished when it really matters.

Barrass: dare I say it but Schofield is better at 1 on 1 playing on the opposition tall forward. Cox wouldn't have got a look in if he was playing on Schofield. We may have two players the same in barrass and McGovern . We won the flag with Schofield playing on the oppo best forward as Shephard went down.

Achee should have stayed in and given Kennedy another week off. Schofield omission coat us the game with cox being badly out of form and effectively having nobody play on him we run him back into some form.

get back on the meds people

Some quality melts.

The only real concern is the way we just completely stopped running for 45 minutes.

One straight Darling kick from winning it.

Grundy had a big game. Needed Hickey to be a lot more aggressive. Did laugh about the melts about Hickey. He obviously thought they weren't going to pay the mark. An error but not an error of playing on from a mark.

Nah Collingwood are cooked. They weren’t that great last night.. we just only turned up for one half. I’d back Geelong, GWS and a full strength Richmond to be a lot better than we were last night in a final.

Im sad we lost . Would have been happy for a draw . We played a good team that just beat us for a number of reasons . Next week will be tough as well . We were not fit enough it seemed and its not fair to get angry at players doing there best .
The negatives for me are the supporters who just tear down one minute when 2 minutes ago they support . Well you arent really a supporter are you . You know who you are .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back