Opinion Commentary & Media III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My partner and her mum were in the Vic Park crowd the day Nicky Winmar raised his jumper. I guess this feels somewhat similar.

Spent that miserable day in our cheer squad, me and a friend, getting into arguments as we tried to remind people Jack had asked for no booing and it was a s**t way to represent our club. Even tried to drown them out cheering Goodes and I bloody hate the Swans. Felt so helpless and disappointed and embarrassed. Never been back in the cheer squad since, quit my membership. I might not have been able to stop them but at least I could stop offering them any kind of support.

I’ll bet most of them are still feeling pretty satisfied with their behaviour. On the day they were like kids who felt they’d been given permission to be naughty. Which of course they were, thanks to a bunch of media troglodytes.

I sat in among the Cheer Squad that night as well, H2H. It was the most uncomfortable experience I’ve ever encountered at a North game. The fact he was pantsing us didn’t make it any better.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jimmy Krakouer had the capacity to light up Subiaco Oval like few others. Now he is bringing WA’s former home of football down.
With hard hat and high-vis outfit, Krakouer is part of the deconstruction team tearing Subiaco Oval apart in much different fashion than he did as a highly-skilled rover alongside younger brother Phil.
jimmy.JPG

I sat in among the Cheer Squad that night as well, H2H. It was the most uncomfortable experience I’ve ever encountered at a North game. The fact he was pantsing us didn’t make it any better.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep, just got more and more embarrassing - he was being booed when he touched the ball and he just kept getting it. Made the losers on our side of the fence appear even more losery by contrast, but they just got angrier.

I'll put my hand up and state that I haven't seen this "doco" yet, but if it runs parralell with what has come before it, then's its predominately propaganda.

Of course it is. (All documentary film making is.) Along with some questionable sound mixing to drive home the point. My main point here is that there were people arguing their opinions at either end of the spectrum, but then there remained a substantial number of morons in the middle, who really didn't have a horse in the race, but who managed to instill themselves unwittingly into the racist/not racist argument just by booing for the sake of it. And if they couldn't foresee that that was going to happen, then perhaps they should be restricted to using the blunt scissors.

We played Sydney on a Saturday night at Docklands in 2015 and Crocker was coach.

I think ever since we wiped the floor with them in the 96 grand final we have viewed them as irrelevant and they lift for our games as their annual grand final. Hence the dodgy incidents over the years.
* Sydney first and foremost. Just want to get that out there. They’ve adopted the victim card perfectly over the decades they’ve been around.

Watched the documentary last night and Goodes was not booed by the majority of our supporters as perpetuated and it was a minority brain dead ones who did. Shameful for our club however but it was still a minority.

What then unfolded was the entire supporter base labeled as racist as the play where Swallow picked up the footy at half back and was instantly tackled by Goodes who had him in a headlock. It was clear as day it should have been a ball up but Swallow got pinned holding the ball.
There was uproar at the decision being a close game and he always got looked after against us. Always.
This is where the one in all in factor comes into it and Goodes was abused. Tribal passion and racism are two different things and the documentary doesn’t demonstrate when it’s legit supporting and when it’s racism disguised under supporting.

Later on in the year the semi final win was also completely taken out of proportion.

It was our first interstate finals win ever. We were in ecstasy. We were on a way to a prelim.
Goodes final shot on goal in the last minute with us being 5 goals up and the game in the bag would have unfolded the same way any opposition player would have when having the final shot of the game.
The results known and any score is a consolation. The documentary sadly even though justified in shining the light on s**t he did cop, doctored the audio of booing to make it sound more widespread. This irked me and is where you get people off side. Again though, it gave the racists and outlet.

Most of us understand the issues that confronted Adam and the plight he suffered.
People like Bolt, Jones, Devine and Panahi not to mention Sam Newman are bigots not just against indigenous Australians, but all minorities. I loathe their existence and the media representation and platform they possess.
I just don’t agree that Sydney is guilt free and the victim here and the whole football community is to blame. There is dislike for the Swans that is being perpetuated as hatred for Goodes.
Literally months later the s**t Lindsay copped up there at the SCG on a Friday night when were undefeated was disgusting and worse IMO but crickets. Literally crickets.

What needs to be addressed is that just as Adam has grown up suppressed, abused and vilified, there are people on the other side of the fence who have also been through the same if not worse. Yet they get lumped in with the racist and bogans around them as rightly or wrongly - Goodes needed to stamp this out under the impartiality of an indigenous Australian man and not a representative of the Sydney Swans as he was never going to be fully understood whilst he wore those colors.

Watched the documentary last night and Goodes was not booed by the majority of our supporters as perpetuated and it was a minority brain dead ones who did. Shameful for our club however but it was still a minority.

What then unfolded was the entire supporter base labeled as racist as the play where Swallow picked up the footy at half back and was instantly tackled by Goodes who had him in a headlock. It was clear as day it should have been a ball up but Swallow got pinned holding the ball.
There was uproar at the decision being a close game and he always got looked after against us. Always.
This is where the one in all in factor comes into it and Goodes was abused. Tribal passion and racism are two different things and the documentary doesn’t demonstrate when it’s legit supporting and when it’s racism disguised under supporting.

Most of what you posted is fair enough, but just on the free kick against Swallow, that specific action of driving your head into a tackler had been highlighted in the days and weeks prior to this game and the AFL in their weekly rule change / free kick of the week manner of doing things had pretty much instructed the umpires and everyone else in the AFL that this action would be penalised. Adam Goodes knew it. Andrew Swallow didn't know it, and neither did Luke Darcy in the commentary that you hear on the doco. At the time of the free kick, I was just pissed off with the AFL and with Spitta for being so dumb with the game on the line, but not with Goodes who actually played it to perfection. If I remember correctly, we had the run of play and were storming home. This free kick was really deflating.

Most of what you posted is fair enough, but just on the free kick against Swallow, that specific action of driving your head into a tackler had been highlighted in the days and weeks prior to this game and the AFL in their weekly rule change / free kick of the week manner of doing things had pretty much instructed the umpires and everyone else in the AFL that this action would be penalised. Adam Goodes knew it. Andrew Swallow didn't know it, and neither did Luke Darcy in the commentary that you hear on the doco. At the time of the free kick, I was just pi**ed off with the AFL and with Spitta for being so dumb with the game on the line, but not with Goodes who actually played it to perfection. If I remember correctly, we had the run of play and were storming home. This free kick was really deflating.
The right call was just to ball it up. Swallow bent over to pick it up and was immediately put in a head lock.
There was no prior.
Then he began running forward in submission and Goodes got the free.

It’s just once again a terrible call by the umps and the AFL and it just had to be a Goodes who tackled him in front of the members.
Perfect storm

The right call was just to ball it up. Swallow bent over to pick it up and was immediately put in a head lock.
There was no prior.
Then he began running forward in submission and Goodes got the free.

It’s just once again a terrible call by the umps and the AFL and it just had to be a Goodes who tackled him in front of the members.
Perfect storm

Really feel you have captured some truth with your two posts. I happened to be at both games in questions & lived through the Swans crap of Boo A Roo when we played some home games at the SCG.

I remember being livid at that decision against Swallow. We were in with a shot & this stopped our momentum. I was firmly on the side of not booing Adam in general and remember booing at this decision. The thought of being captured on film & represented as racist is galling to me.

I also remember that glorious semi final win. Having sat through the torture of the prelim loss, the year before, it remains one of my happiest footy memories. Along with many North fans near me, I stood and applauded Goodes’ final goal.

I am old enough to recall the disgusting opposition behaviour to Jim & Phil & was in constant outrage at the racist crap directed at LT.

I hope we are all learning some valuable lessons about the harm of racism.

Last edited:
I'll be giving close scrutiny at the "production" aspects, the correlation with truth, and the use of psychological priming as a means of manipulating those who are soft in the head.

I note that Sam Newman has stated that he offered to take part in the documentary, but his offer was declined.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We played Sydney on a Saturday night at Docklands in 2015 and Crocker was coach.

I think ever since we wiped the floor with them in the 96 grand final we have viewed them as irrelevant and they lift for our games as their annual grand final. Hence the dodgy incidents over the years.
fu** Sydney first and foremost. Just want to get that out there. They’ve adopted the victim card perfectly over the decades they’ve been around.

Later on in the year the semi final win was also completely taken out of proportion.

It was our first interstate finals win ever. We were in ecstasy. We were on a way to a prelim.
Goodes final shot on goal in the last minute with us being 5 goals up and the game in the bag would have unfolded the same way any opposition player would have when having the final shot of the game.
The results known and any score is a consolation. The documentary sadly even though justified in shining the light on s**t he did cop, doctored the audio of booing to make it sound more widespread. This irked me and is where you get people off side. Again though, it gave the racists and outlet.

Most of us understand the issues that confronted Adam and the plight he suffered.
People like Bolt, Jones, Devine and Panahi not to mention Sam Newman are bigots not just against indigenous Australians, but all minorities. I loathe their existence and the media representation and platform they possess.
I just don’t agree that Sydney is guilt free and the victim here and the whole football community is to blame. There is dislike for the Swans that is being perpetuated as hatred for Goodes.
Literally months later the s**t Lindsay copped up there at the SCG on a Friday night when were undefeated was disgusting and worse IMO but crickets. Literally crickets.

What needs to be addressed is that just as Adam has grown up suppressed, abused and vilified, there are people on the other side of the fence who have also been through the same if not worse. Yet they get lumped in with the racist and bogans around them as rightly or wrongly - Goodes needed to stamp this out under the impartiality of an indigenous Australian man and not a representative of the Sydney Swans as he was never going to be fully understood whilst he wore those colors.
It is good you were largely able to convey most facets of the arguments about this. I remember discussing this on the Stern Look podcast back in the day and we came to a similar conclusion.

The booing became truly epidemic when the AFL administration and media stuck their nose in and said no one is allowed to boo Goodes. People are sheep in these types of situations, as stupid as it may seem.

The racism angle was always the lesser motivation for it all, but its influence has been under/over exaggerated, dependent on people's views on the world You list Bolt/Panahi (who is an Iranian minority BTW), etc, but I can list guys liked Waleed Aly and co, taking advantage of the situation by calling large sections of Australian society racist, which is fallacious and only gets those people's 'backs up' and worsens the situation.

FWIW, I was at the Sydney final and the booing was not conducted by the majority of North fans there. Old mate Quivorir booed, but that was to piss off the bloke sitting in front of us, who decided to moral grandstand on the issue and lecture us. I didn't boo, there's no point to booing and it doesn't achieve anything and makes you look like an idiot.

It is good you were largely able to convey most facets of the arguments about this. I remember discussing this on the Stern Look podcast back in the day and we came to a similar conclusion.

The booing became truly epidemic when the AFL administration and media stuck their nose in and said no one is allowed to boo Goodes. People are sheep in these types of situations, as stupid as it may seem.

The racism angle was always the lesser motivation for it all, but its influence has been under/over exaggerated, dependent on people's views on the world You list Bolt/Panahi (who is an Iranian minority BTW), etc, but I can list guys liked Waleed Aly and co, taking advantage of the situation by calling large sections of Australian society racist, which is fallacious and only gets those people's 'backs up' and worsens the situation.

FWIW, I was at the Sydney final and the booing was not conducted by the majority of North fans there. Old mate Quivorir booed, but that was to p**s off the bloke sitting in front of us, who decided to moral grandstand on the issue and lecture us. I didn't boo, there's no point to booing and it doesn't achieve anything and makes you look like an idiot.

I always thought that it was handled badly by the AFL and sections of the media. Of course, there was plenty of racism involved but people don't react well to be told unequivocally they are racist. The crowd had no way of booing the likes of the AFL, Patrick Smith, Robbo and the coaches directly so they intensified their actions against Goodes. He was the tip of the spear.

It's piss weak, and it seriously questions the doco's credibility, to utilise Newman "prominently", whilst declining his offer to speak in it at the same time:

But many footy fans — and notable former players like Sam Newman — insist Goodes became a target because of his actions on the field and not his skin colour. Newman bit his tongue as the documentary screened but broke his silence with a message on Twitter on Thursday. “Heartfelt thanks for enlightening comments by my fellow Australians on Goodes doco,” Newman wrote. “Would love to have been part of conversation, but wasn’t allowed. Glad I could help (Channel) 10’s flagging ratings. Keep comments coming, please.”

Heartfelt thanks for enlightening comments by my fellow Australians on Goodes doco. Would love to have been part of conversation, but wasn’t allowed. Glad I could help 10’s flagging ratings. Keep comments coming, please. #channel10 #AdamGoodes 🇦🇺🇦🇺
— Sam Newman (@Origsmartassam) July 19, 2019
Newman is one of the more prominent voices in the film and was widely denounced on social media after it aired for claiming the booing of Goodes was not about race. The former co-host of the AFL Footy Show hit out online and reiterated his stance, even phoning director Ian Darling to complain about his inclusion.

“Sam called up. He wanted to know why he was in the film. I made it very clear we wanted to simply show the conversation that happened during that period,” Darling said on Channel 9’s Sports Sunday. “It was really important that everyone who had a voice was represented and people added to the conversation in so many different ways and Sam played an important role in that conversation.”

No one ever admits they are racist.
That's the difficult part of the saga. Not one single person likes being called racist. How do you distinguish the intent of the booers. As stated in previous posts, there's a multitude of triggering points. Unless you knew the intent of every single person booing, you cannot hope to accurately determine whether it was racist.

I always thought that it was handled badly by the AFL and sections of the media. Of course, there was plenty of racism involved but people don't react well to be told unequivocally they are racist. The crowd had no way of booing the likes of the AFL, Patrick Smith, Robbo and the coaches directly so they intensified their actions against Goodes. He was the tip of the spear.
I can't fully agree with that point, but there is no true way to gauge the level of racism. Yes, because Gill, Smith and Robbo are not readily available for weekly booing. Goodes was, sadly, readily available for booing as a player on the field.

I have to go down to my local pub to boo Robbo.

Last edited:
I see what you did there.

That's the difficult part of the saga. Not one single person likes being called racist. How do you distinguish the intent of the booers. As stated in previous posts, there's a multitude of triggering points. Unless you knew the intent of every single person booing, you cannot hope to accurately determine whether it was racist.

Telepathy?

Agreed and sadly this fell back onto Goodes, make the situation a million times worse.

There's certainly a strong mixture of gullibility blended with conceitedness, in the way he was duped in to being led along that path.

Telepathy?

There's certainly a strong mixture of gullibility blended with conceitedness, in the way he was duped in to being led along that path.
The individual wisdom of our moral superiors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back