Autopsy Round 18, 2019: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs *LANGLANDS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be a bit of emotion in that win and effort, could be some changes from Ratten, but * me that was a different looking team. Hunter Clark is going to be a champ. Steele just gets a player and shuts him down. A few silly mistakes in that second half with execution (Savage, Paton, Acres) but way more good things then bad things. It felt like the players were deliberately looking to share the ball and get everyone involved in the first half. Dunstan keeps on being one of our best stoppage players, he and Marshal look like they've got a bit of a simpatico going on now, Gresh a bit too.

'Rucking is over-rated', they said.

Who gives a s**t what "they" have said. Just remember, the Dogs aren't travelling too well this year either so it's not like we've taken a big cap. The team played well for the first time in ages but it's hardly worth dragging up what "they" have been saying after 1 win.

We scored over 100 points!!!

Amazing how much better we looked when Ratten took the Richo handbrake off.

Was noticeable how we took the forward option rather than go sideways or backwards like we did under Richo which gave our forwards a chance.

Lonie was great but some of our other playmakers looked better too, Billings, Acres and Gresham had a license to attack and express themselves.

Our defence looked better too and more aggressive, Carlisle, Wilkie and Brown bullied the Bulldogs forwards.

They were so effective that Ratts sent Brown forward to terrorize the Dogs back line in the last quarter.

Richo would never have done that, Richo would have put Brown on the bench or dropped him.

I know it's only one game but we need to sign up Ratten, we won't get a better coach.
The last thing we need to do is sign him now. We have the Benicia of 5 games. Surely we haven’t learnt that if there is no need to sign a coach up you don’t do it

Woohooo!

Well played Saints! Warms the heart to see the lads play with dare and passion!
Twas exciting! When was the last time we could say that about our team!
Not only did we win well but we did it the right way....With a focus to attack and score
Amazing the difference some freedom gives to a footballer! Our young blokes finally given their head to go out
And express themselves. It was all so very heartening to see that we do have some serious talent on the list!

Very proud of the boys tonight....Especially the younger brigade!
This game will go down as a defining moment in a few youngster's careers!
Made the win all the more meritorious, Clark, Marshall, Coffield, Paton, Lonie and even Gangbangs
All featuring prominently!

Tonight we all have our hope and belief back in our beloved footy club! 😇
Go you Mighty Saints! :stkilda:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown immense today. Been our most consistent performer for 3 seasons, week in and out, solid performances.

We made a mistake by letting Roo, Joey leave so easily, yeah I know they in the wrong end of the age, but couldve played minimum 12 games whilst providing invaluable experience and leadership for our younger blokes.

Hopefully we keep Browny for next season.
I'll be honest I've hoped someone would go past him by now, but he's still one of the best one on one defenders in the comp.

We'd be mad not to sign him up for next year.

Haven’t looked at stats but Sinclair seemed disappointing again. Lost confidence. Safe though you would tgink
Had 22 and played a decent game imo, he did some good things but got caught a couple of times when he was swamped. I would have thought he really covered some ground today, ran end to end. We definitely had a few who had better nights though, I thought Clarke played another really good game.

Great win. Marshall was enormous. Put his body on the line at the end to prevent a certain English mark. Seriously this guy is becoming something pretty outstanding. His tackling is ferocious. His kicking is superb. We have a player on our hands.

Clark was brilliant. Looks to have settled at the level and feels like he belongs. Still the odd errant kick but all good players make mistakes.

Liked Coffield's game. Seems to be growing in confidence. Made some important interceptions and got involved down back.

Brown and Carlisle were huge. Put under a lot of pressure and for the most part held up well.

Parker, probably his best game for the club. So dangerous around the ball.

Billings a good day. Acres' best game for some time, he's dangerous when he can get his hands on it and find space. Good tackling too.

Impressed by young Langlands. He is a good size and is speedy.

Bruce and Membrey were both good today. I was critical of Bruce a few weeks ago but he has really turned it around. Lonie was huge too.

Kudos to the on-ball brigade. I thought Dunstan had a good game. The Dogs have a deadly midfield but we matched it with them for large parts of the game.

Anyway it was just a wonderful way to end the week after a lot of strain. The players will be so relieved. Great start for Ratts to his job interview.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back