The Law Gay Couples Vs Christian bakers

Remove this Banner Ad

Like when the Colorado Civil Rights Commission compared the cake maker's religious beliefs to a defense of slavery or the Holocaust?
Again, a bit disengenous. We live in a world where the LGBT community continues to come under persecution in various forms, usually because of bigotry inspired by organised religion. Quite why a business gets to hide behind faith is beyond me, and it's a massive falsehood to then equate that desire to be treated equally (on the part of the LGBT community) with hate groups.

Sent from my ELE-L09 using Tapatalk

That's the issue. It inevitably becomes a slippery slope. Don't like bald men? Don't like women who are not a size 8? Up goes a sign saying not welcome. We're looking at arbitrary reasoning, which is why it's better to have rules and regs concerning discrimination.

'Reasonable' is wholly subjective. What you call bigotry someone else might call deeply held personal beliefs. Should a vegan cake maker be forced to make a cake celebrating the 20th anniversary of the local butcher?
'Reasonable' may or may not be wholly subjective, but it's a term used a lot in the legal system, so it must have some kind of meaning that's objective enough to make it useful. For example, is it reasonable to compare a message celebrating a same sex union with one that celebrates the murderous regime of a vicious tyrant?

I have no doubt that a lot of bigots deeply hold their bigoted personal beliefs, that's never been the question, the question is whether or not it's reasonable for them to be able actively discriminate based upon their deeply-held bigotry.

As for the vegans and the butcher shop, I have no idea how that would play out, as there would be plenty of questions that would need to be asked to clarify the situation. It could be as simple as one business not wanting to promote a competing business or whether or not the cake shop is overtly vegan to begin with.

You can't selectively "ignore" things that are beyond your intellectual comprehension, which is highlighted by your generic emotion driven framing of such matters, highlighted by the drivel below.

"Faced" is past tense and in line with my fundamental premise.

Now you arrive at the typical lazy conclusion based upon your very own straw man.

Welcome to stupidville, at least you won't be lonely.
More projection. If nothing else, you get points for consistency. I do admire your inflated sense of self worth; having a strong ego is generally good for your mental health.

Is there some kind of middle ground here? If civil society accepts that a business has the right to turn away clients based on whatever whim they so choose surely potential customers also have the right to know straight away that their money and their custom will be no good inside that particular business? I believe we all should have that right as consumers to make an informed choice before we buy.

A prominent symbol on the business logo, one that will leave no doubt as to the business owners' intent, might be the way to go. Then again, if we grant this ability to discriminate where will it end? Does it become a 'slippery slope' kind of thing?
I don't see why there's any need for a separate 'middle ground' to the status quo, which would accept and allow for violations of our anti-discrimination laws in any scenario I can think of. The laws are put in place for the benefit of all, and have been formed through compromise.

Should a medical practitioner with strong religious convictions regarding life starting at conception be given freedom to refuse involvement in performing medical procedures that are potentially necessary to save a woman's life?

If your professional obligations contrast with your morals, you're in the wrong profession.

I don't see why there's any need for a separate 'middle ground' to the status quo, which would accept and allow for violations of our anti-discrimination laws in any scenario I can think of. The laws are put in place for the benefit of all, and have been formed through compromise.
Laws can be changed, and often are as public sentiment evolves. This is why appealing to a law to justify a position isn't a particularly strong argument.

Should a medical practitioner with strong religious convictions regarding life starting at conception be given freedom to refuse involvement in performing medical procedures that are potentially necessary to save a woman's life?

If your professional obligations contrast with your morals, you're in the wrong profession.
As I understand it they can, and have the option of referring that patient to another doctor.

Do you think that's comparable with a pro-LGBT message? I did say 'reasonable requests' after all.
What's reasonable? The UK supreme Court effectively ruled it wasnt for a number of reasons.

A pro lgbt for the sole purpose of going out of your way to offend the maker and make money is not reasonable, it is not different to offensive comments I mentioned

As I understand it they can, and have the option of referring that patient to another doctor.
No doctor reasonably should refuse a life saving procedure, an unnecessary (medically) abortion is another matter

Is there some kind of middle ground here? If civil society accepts that a business has the right to turn away clients based on whatever whim they so choose surely potential customers also have the right to know straight away that their money and their custom will be no good inside that particular business? I believe we all should have that right as consumers to make an informed choice before we buy.

A prominent symbol on the business logo, one that will leave no doubt as to the business owners' intent, might be the way to go. Then again, if we grant this ability to discriminate where will it end? Does it become a 'slippery slope' kind of thing?
There is a difference between asking for a cake for Adam and Steve's wedding, and shopping around a cake devised offend and sue

There is a difference between asking for a cake for Adam and Steve's wedding, and shopping around a cake devised offend and sue

Did they shop it around though? Availability of choice is important. A gay couple may not be hamstrung by a religious cake decorator refusing to decorate a gay wedding cake - there are a multitude of cake decorators in any big city. What if they were up the bush and the only cake shop in town refused them?

I'm genuinely torn - on one hand I think discrimination in any form is just not on. On the other, diversity means a multitude of different beliefs co-existing in the one society and they're all not always going to 100% fit in with each other.

The middle ground and the need to strike a balance here is important, I feel.

Did they shop it around though? Availability of choice is important. A gay couple may not be hamstrung by a religious cake decorator refusing to decorate a gay wedding cake - there are a multitude of cake decorators in any big city. What if they were up the bush and the only cake shop in town refused them?

I'm genuinely torn - on one hand I think discrimination in any form is just not on. On the other, diversity means a multitude of different beliefs co-existing in the one society and they're all not always going to 100% fit in with each other.

The middle ground and the need to strike a balance here is important, I feel.
There was no gay couple, it was shopped around

There was no gay couple, it was shopped around

This is from the original article, on page 1 of the thread

...The couple, Eileen and Mireya Rodriguez, however deny that they wanted a special-order cake.

They said they went in August 2017 to taste cakes for their wedding and anticipated ordering a pre-existing model without special decorations.

But after they returned with other people to the bakery Miller directed them to a competitor, Gimme Some Sugar, saying she does not approve of same-sex marriages for religious reasons...

Here's another

Eileen Del-Rio and Mireya Rodriguez began dating two years ago, fell in love and got married. But they never had a traditional wedding party.

So they have planned a big December ceremony, complete with officiant and vows.

They were missing a cake.

On Aug. 17, they checked out Tastries on Rosedale Highway and were very pleased.

The prices were good, the tastings free and the service great, so the couple signed up for a tasting appointment on Aug. 26. When they got there the

employee they had been working with whispered in Mireya’s ear that her boss would be taking over the tasting.

Then they met Cathy Miller.

She took them to a seat in the back of the shop, said Margaret Del Rio, Eileen’s mother, who was with them. Miller immediately started asking them questions they had already answered when they set up the tasting, Eileen said.

When she pointed that out, Eileen said, Miller said she was taking the information down and would transfer their cake to her competitor Stephanie at Gimme Some Sugar.

They asked why.

“She said, ‘I don’t condone same-sex marriage,’” Eileen said.

For Mireya, who only came out as gay recently, it was a heavy blow.

“I’d never had someone discriminate and put me down and make me feel bad,” she said.

“We were totally dumbfounded by the statement,” Eileen said. “I was upset. I was hurt. I was angry because it affected her so bad.”

Miller offered to let them stay and taste the cake.

But her tone wasn’t kind, Eileen said.

They got up and left without tasting a bite. Why would they, Eileen said, when they would never be able to order the cake...

Are you saying that the whole incident was a lie?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laws can be changed, and often are as public sentiment evolves. This is why appealing to a law to justify a position isn't a particularly strong argument.
The long term trend is for public sentiment and our laws to move towards accommodating equal treatment of minority groups at the expense of tradition-based prejudice, even with a strong Christian/conservative federal leadership for the better part of the last quarter of a century.

Given that our youth tends to be socially progressive, I don't see our laws shifting to allow more prejudice in the near future.

The Christian hold on power in this nation is shaky at best, so I think we'll see a move towards Christian groups fighting for their own version of equality in the not so distant future.

Last edited:
Yes, and I think that's fair so long as the procedure isn't a medical emergency.

Doctors have been investigated for failing to refer patients to another doctor because of their moral objections to abortion. I see that as a reasonable compromise, and any medical practitioner who refuses to abide by their professional obligations should consider a career change.

The long term trend is for public sentiment and our laws to move towards accommodating equal treatment of minority groups at the expense of tradition-based prejudice, even with a strong Christian/conservative federal leadership for the better part of the last quarter of a century.

Given that our youth tends to be socially progressive, I don't see our laws shifting to allow more prejudice in the near future.

The Christian hold on power in this nation is shaky at best, so I think we'll see a move towards Christian groups fighting for their own version of equality in the not so distant future.
The long term trend is a more humanist and liberal ideology to be dominant, and they include respect for and accommodation of religious beliefs. To enforce otherwise is arguably antithetical to those ideals which have been considered "progressive" for the latter part of the 20th century.

Regardless of what any fundamental religious types might preach that is intolerant and discriminatory, the reality is that not only are most religious people socially liberal, society is too. Encoding a standard for religion in law is something that should be done sparingly and with great thought, rather than out of spite or dislike for religion in general.

If most religious people are socially liberal, then why do religions exert so much pressure resisting socially liberal policy?

Hilarious.

Made even funnier by your complete ignorance.

Your use of the words "liberal", "pressure" and "resist" in that sentence explain everything about you.

You're not a liberals a-hole. You're a card carrying statist.
If you mean I'm not a libertarian then I agree, but other than that I find it somewhat unhelpful if you judge a post not on its content but rather on your prejudicial opinion of the poster. I still have no idea what your opinion is of religion and social liberal policy, for example.

I still have no idea what your opinion is of religion and social liberal policy, for example.

The law should protect all, but all are entitled to their opinions, and freedom of expression.

This is liberalism.

The law should protect all, but all are entitled to their opinions, and freedom of expression.

This is liberalism.
That's a pretty self-contradictory and and unworkable version of liberalism. You can't do the first bit if you allow the second bit with no restrictions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back