Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Too many injuries no continuity a very good side on the right day. This is what makes the upcoming finals series so interesting any team could realistically knock off one another early on and it would't be a huge upset.

I'm not totally subscribed on the injury "crisis" theory. We have 5 best 22 out at the minute off the top of my head - so it's not exactly a major issue, and we're likely to get em back for week 1.

And because of they way the Pies play continuity is not a huge issue either, they are very difficult to defeat when they bring the heat - it's not personnel reliant. Being predictable to the opposition is irrelevant also because of the swarm and structure up with and without the ball, it allows them easy transition. It's tactically brilliant.

When they're on you have to out transition them of course after out contesting them at the coalface. That's very difficult to do and only the very best skilled teams can beat it - if they're good enough to win the contested ball also.

If you look at the essendon game last night all the metrics were won by the pies apart from tackles. If anything the score line flattered a very brave essendon outfit.

In short injuries and continuity aren't a major concern for mine.

With the quirks of the fixture, the ladder doesn't always reflect who people rate as the best premiership chances in order.

That fan opinion is often proved correct too, otherwise 1st would win a lot more often.
So the 2018 ladder at the end of round 23 wasn't reflective of the best premiership chances?

And it was proven to be the case by the end and of the Finals series.

So the 2018 ladder at the end of round 23 wasn't reflective of the best premiership chances?

And it was proven to be the case by the end and of the Finals series.
You might want to read what I said again a little closer to properly comprehend. In context of the post I was quoting.

So? They're not top 8 now, in fact, they just got beaten by like 100 points.

Why do you find it so hard to accept your team has had an easy draw?
I don't think you get it. Form comes and goes. They were top 8 at that time, meaning they were of a top 8 quality at that time. Their form went later on. Beating them when they were at the top 8 is better than now when they are not top 8. Basically as easy as l can make it for you.
And yes, we did have an easyish draw, but that still doesn't change the fact that we have beaten some real quality teams, inc. but not limited to Geelong last week, WB etc. There have been chalenges come to us and we have beaten every one. People didn't think we would beat GWS away, then Port away, then they thought we were due for a loss, then they didn't think we would beat Geelong. We won every one. You aren't in 1st pace with a game to spare with the last round to spare if you aren't top 4 quality

I'm not totally subscribed on the injury "crisis" theory. We have 5 best 22 out at the minute off the top of my head - so it's not exactly a major issue, and we're likely to get em back for week 1.

And because of they way the Pies play continuity is not a huge issue either, they are very difficult to defeat when they bring the heat - it's not personnel reliant. Being predictable to the opposition is irrelevant also because of the swarm and structure up with and without the ball, it allows them easy transition. It's tactically brilliant.

When they're on you have to out transition them of course after out contesting them at the coalface. That's very difficult to do and only the very best skilled teams can beat it - if they're good enough to win the contested ball also.

If you look at the essendon game last night all the metrics were won by the pies apart from tackles. If anything the score line flattered a very brave essendon outfit.

In short injuries and continuity aren't a major concern for mine.

Essendom got belted by a 105 points a few weeks back so I ignore 100% of form lines containing them. Especially with players out on top.

And every single team who wants to have a deep finals run needs continuity bringing players in and out all the time and back from layoffs is a challenge even if you don':t subscribe to that notion. Looking at ladder I suggest it has considering you were a premiership fancy early now could possibly finish 5th

I don't think you get it. Form comes and goes. They were top 8 at that time, meaning they were of a top 8 quality at that time.
The sheer desperation you're clinging to justify the idea that Brisbane haven't had a soft draw is pretty funny.

The sheer desperation you're clinging to justify the idea that Brisbane haven't had a soft draw is pretty funny.
When you cut and paste to try and make your point true, only makes you looks like an idiot when it backfires.
I don't think you get it. Form comes and goes. They were top 8 at that time, meaning they were of a top 8 quality at that time. Their form went later on. Beating them when they were at the top 8 is better than now when they are not top 8. Basically as easy as l can make it for you.
And yes, we did have an easyish draw, but that still doesn't change the fact that we have beaten some real quality teams, inc. but not limited to Geelong last week, WB etc. There have been chalenges come to us and we have beaten every one. People didn't think we would beat GWS away, then Port away, then they thought we were due for a loss, then they didn't think we would beat Geelong. We won every one. You aren't in 1st pace with a game to spare with the last round to spare if you aren't top 4 quality

When you cut and paste to try and make your point true, only makes you looks like an idiot when it backfires.
Nah, you're still going to crazy lengths, all because some Richmond fan dared to suggest your team had a soft draw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor game to go into the finals off, but not out of the top 4 yet. Need Brisbane to beat the Tigers. A week off and NN coming back will make a difference.

Even if you finish 5th, you'll face an injury-ravaged Essendon on your home deck in week 1.
Travel back to the MCG to face either Collingwood or Geelong and as you say, will have Naitanui in the side. You guys seem to play the MCG very well so it's definitely yours for the taking.

It's a must win for Geelong.
If we fail to beat Collingwood, we likely go out in straight sets.

Essendom got belted by a 105 points a few weeks back so I ignore 100% of form lines containing them. Especially with players out on top.

And every single team who wants to have a deep finals run needs continuity bringing players in and out all the time and back from layoffs is a challenge even if you don':t subscribe to that notion. Looking at ladder I suggest it has considering you were a premiership fancy early now could possibly finish 5th

Now it looks we'll finish top 4, still wary of all the other sides but I do have some confidence. Again we rely on system not personnel, we're building that game.

At worst we're a shot at it.

Even if you finish 5th, you'll face an injury-ravaged Essendon on your home deck in week 1.
Travel back to the MCG to face either Collingwood or Geelong and as you say, will have Naitanui in the side. You guys seem to play the MCG very well so it's definitely yours for the taking.

It's a must win for Geelong.
If we fail to beat Collingwood, we likely go out in straight sets.

Naitanui would be coming off a long injury lay off and I would not count on this current side to bank the win against Essendon even.

If we can somehow luck out on top 4 with the Lions causing an upset tomorrow that would be preferable.

Back