Bluemour Discussion Thread XVIII - Please Sir, Can We Have More?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's up to something unheard of in these parts for 25 years .... he's being a responsible list manager.

Not overpaying, and only focused on improving our list from one trade period to another.

Don't know how he has the time.

According to Caro he spends most of his time accumulating power and establishing his own fiefdom.

:p

Maxing out our salary cap at this stage is probably not the wisest move, given we can all see how much young talent is on the list. There are people who are very good with the numbers and working contracts to get it all kosher, but I could understand setting hard limits on spending for new players. The long-term health of our player payments is important.

We wouldn't be maxing out our salary cap if we are using all the money we've banked to front end contracts which I assume is a tactic clubs can utilise.

If we can front load a contract for Cogs we should be able to do it for a player like Martin if we really want them.

Hey guys, I have been reading the comments posted here for a few weeks without contributing so i decided to make an account to post.

What i gather from info circulating the gameplan is:
Plan A - Cogs ❌
Plan B - gun mid (whitfield, someone not mentioned, etc) with cheaper small fwds coming in. Unlikely
Plan C - Papley + Martin or established mid that doesnt cost much. More likely
Plan D - Martin and low cost fwds keeping pick 8 in our hands.

We can also assume that Sos will try and get the best value and go to the next plan without selling the farm.

Most likely trade scenario:
In Out
Papley pick 8
Pick 23 pick 39
Values Papley at pick 14

Martin pick 23

Then trade late picks for cameron, butler, betts, cutler or whoever is highest on Carltons list. This scenario also keeps all our draft capital for next year intact.

It should be achievable and we should have some leverage despite contract lengths because:

- We can walk away and grab a small fwd on the cheap easier than a key fwd.
- Swans needs another first rounder to deal for daniher
- * need to release daniher to pick up 2 first rounders for a quality inside mid like wines and have no first round pick (they also have to use one at the draft next year)

Im confident we can pick up Papley without swapping out two first round picks! In sos we trust.
Welcome, I think I'll like you 😁

We wouldn't be maxing out our salary cap if we are using all the money we've banked to front end contracts which I assume is a tactic clubs can utilise.

If we can front load a contract for Cogs we should be able to do it for a player like Martin if we really want them.
Yes, it's just a balancing act. Spend too much for several Martin types and you risk not getting a Cogs and increase the salary cap squeeze later. If you want to be tight, it's players like Martin you don't want to budge on. That's just a really basic strategic look at it though, and people with the skill and expertise will (should) know how to manage this stuff better than I!

Why waste our pick in the mid season draft just to cut him at season's end. Makes no sense at all. Stupid move if true.

Clubs had 120 opportunities to pick up players at the end of 2018 (national and rookie drafts).

Then they had another 20 or so chances at the beginning of 2019 through the supplemental thingymabob.

THEN you get to mid-season draft and it's slim pickings. You're either picking up 18-19yo kids a bit early (as in before 2019 draft) or you're picking up state league players that have been passed over in national drafts AND now an extra pseudo pre-season draft.

They are older, professional footballers who are mostly a known quantity. You'll know pretty quickly if they are viable long term. And they won't be given the traditional 2-4 years to find their feet.

II like Deluca but I expect turnover of mid-season draft players in general will be very high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve been consistently told we have $$$$ to spare. Will be weird If we lose Martin for 100k. Other irons in the fire?

Spending $100-200k a year above what you think a player is worth ALWAYS has implications.

It might be the extra money we need to keep one of Cripps, Curnow, Harry, Walsh etc on our books down the track.

Sure we've saved some cap and some needs to be spent. But that doesn't mean you can go around splashing cash irresponsibly....

Why waste our pick in the mid season draft just to cut him at season's end. Makes no sense at all. Stupid move if true.
Deluca IMO was the absolute epitome of a "free hit". Very low cost, zero risk and fills a need. Although seems as honest as the day is long, i can see our game style going past him very quickly next year unfortunately.

In saying that all good teams need depth.

Yes, it's just a balancing act. Spend too much for several Martin types and you risk not getting a Cogs and increase the salary cap squeeze later. If you want to be tight, it's players like Martin you don't want to budge on. That's just a really basic strategic look at it though, and people with the skill and expertise will (should) know how to manage this stuff better than I!

At present we're in the running for one Martin like player.

No A graders.

A few fringe players like Butler. Plenty of other clubs don't seem to have issues fitting players that want to be at their clubs in their caps.

If they want them they get them in.

If we ended the offseason adding Dan Butler and Sam Gray that would be underwhelming and a waste of banking money to bring in talent.

I dont think it comes down to spending an extra $100k per year on Martin. It comes down to fair price and not overpaying.

We do have cap room, however we also have a lot of talent on our list that needs to be paid in the near future.
If we don't sign a big name, what i think will happen is we get our young players to sign contract extensions and massively front load them so we can use all that banked capspace we currently have, which will allow us to pick up big names in the future.

Not sure Martin is solely after money. He was very well paid at GC. I reckon he's after a positive supportive environment in which to grow further and achieve some success. I think we'll be very enticing.

As others have put forward now, we somehow convince ourselves that we have something other clubs don't.

Reality:
- The Dogs are a recent premiership side, had a dip and look on the rise again....and they're offering more money.
- Us? We have 'hope' and 'promise' and The Teague Train. Ok, we have more than that, but we're not the first port of call for recruits as at times, some of us here can drum up to be the case.

Of course we have our fingers in many pies right now as we should but we're not just going to get players because we're The Blues.

I think deluca has shown more in that small forward role than Polson did and even in the 3 VFL games he had, he again showed more in the middle of the ground than Polson did in the VFL. I would hate for that extra year on Polson’s contract to be the deciding factor in cutting Deluca, as it should be a strait forward decision to keep Deluca over him.

Fast forward 2 years and Polson vs Deluca will be a distant memory.

Insignificant in the grand scheme of things...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back