Game Day Richmond Tigers v GWS Giants - Grand Final - Sat 28 Sep, 2:30PM AEST, MCG

Tigers or Giants to win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The eagles, bears and crows were bought in purely to provide revenue to the VFL that was about to collapse......
... and how much do you reckon "Greater Western Sydney" would have coughed up for an AFL license? $20 and some loose change?

The SANFL were gagging to have a representative team, the WAFL first asked to have a team join the league in 1984. No one from Greater Wester Sydney was pushing for a team. They were dreamed up by a bunch of accountants at AFLHQ.

A few posters in this thread claiming that the majority of neutrals will be on GWS. Why would they be? The plethora of punchable faces? Lachie "Hide me from ASADA" Whitfield? A coked-up Mumford? The struggles of the long-suffering fanbase? The difficulties of having to build a side from dozens of first-round picks? Phil Davis's diving? The joy it would give Kevin Sheedy? The Borat theme song?

Bewildering stuff (well, except maybe the Borat thing).

The 'who do you want to win the GF' thread should answer your question.

It's more would rather Richmond not win than GWS to win. It would be the same if it was Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon etc.

... and how much do you reckon "Greater Western Sydney" would have coughed up for an AFL license? $20 and some loose change?

The SANFL were gagging to have a representative team, the WAFL first asked to have a team join the league in 1984. No one from Greater Wester Sydney was pushing for a team. They were dreamed up by a bunch of accountants at AFLHQ.
And whats your point? They've been around for 8 years, have a growing membership base and despite losing a number of players still have a few foundation players who will be playing this weekend. Not only the AFL, but state and local governments have spent a lot of money to make this work, and now its working you're gonna try shoot them down?
They were approved in 2008 by ALL 16 clubs, including your own. Stop being so bitter.

Look I don't admire the Giants or have envious respect for them, but I certainly don't hate them either. If we are to lose I'd much rather lose to them than Collingwood. I don't know a single Giants supporter, I probably wouldn't hear about it a week later.

I get they are in a period of success largely built on the back of their draft concessions and high picks, but they still had to use those picks correctly and develop the players.

I still don't see the Giants in the same light as other clubs with more history, but I like a lot of their players, and losing to them if be disappointed, but also fairly comfortable. Seriously losing to Cats, Pies, Eagles would be another story, but even on Bigfooty the Giants don't bother me.

My main concern is the AFL want them to win this week, and I hope we don't see that influence umpire decisions or score review results.

I'm tempted to say the Giants have no chance, but that's what (almost) everyone was thinking about the Bulldogs throughout their 2016 finals series before their incredible run to the flag (yes, even as a Swans fan I'll admit that was pretty amazing).

Bulldogs beat West Coast (in Perth), Hawthorn (defending premier), GWS, Sydney. GWS has had to beat a surging Bulldogs side, a much improved Brisbane in Brisbane, and of course Collingwood last night at the 'G. Who's to say they can't pull it off too?

All that said, I'm still picking Richmond.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bulldogs beat West Coast (in Perth), Hawthorn (defending premier), GWS, Sydney. GWS has had to beat a surging Bulldogs side, a much improved Brisbane in Brisbane, and of course Collingwood last night at the 'G. Who's to say they

on the day, everyone is a chance, and anything can happen. just ask saints fans

Random question. But what would happen if in the first minute of the game every GWS player made a pact to punch a Richmond player in the jaw? Even if only 25% of the Richmond players got concussed as a result it would still mean an easy victory for GWS. Sure they would all get suspended for the first 6 to 8 rounds of 2020 but they would have the flag.

These are the things I think about :p

Fair bit of talk about Mumford potentially going postal as it is his last game and has nothing to lose. And he might. Thing about Mummy is he is a big, slow target and I don't think a few Richmond players would mind missing a large chunk of next season if he did start throwing his weight around.

Back