Richmond's 7 Consecutive MCG Games

Is Richmond's 7 consecutive games at the MVG unfair?

• Yes

Votes: 156 45.3%
  • No

Votes: 188 54.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
See you keep calling it sooking.

Again, you miss the point. Again, just because it can be done doesn't mean it's fair.

You acknowledge it may not be fair but then say but that's what it is. You see the issue, shrug your shoulders and say "so what? get over it" purely because you'll never be subject to the unfairness of it.

And yes, a GF played in other venues would be a dream come true. Gee imagine Richmond having to play West Coast in a GF in Perth, a place Richmond has won a whopping 4 games in 30 years against the Eagles.....21% win rate vs 56% at the MCG....I'm sure you'd be so dismissive then.
Your club signed up for it. End of story. Truth be told, they were so desperate to be part of the VFL/AFL that they killed off any chance of the better deal that Adelaide was prepared to hold out for.

4 flags later, one of the most successful clubs of the AFL era... and still the saltiest.

In its last 50 MCG games, Richmond is 42-8.

I presume then that we're marking down Melbourne's greatest era after they went 46-4 in the 1950's. That statue of Norm Smith might need to come down.

Alos discredited is the Hawthorn threepeat after a 40-10 run beginning in 2012. And Collingwood's 39-9-2 starting in 2009 means the 2010 flag was practically a gimme.

Essendon's 41-9 streak starting in 1999 means that the 2000 team can no longer be considered the greatest of all time, given their unfair advantage.

I did some stats on non-vic vs vic teams for this very thing. Basically, it is easier for non-vic teams to make finals compared to vic teams, but it is harder for them to win premierships compared to vic teams. So you choose what you want. Do you want a Sydney type scenario where they made finals for basically a decade straight, contested grand finals and snagged one. Or do you want a Richmond or WB type scenario where they are generally *******, but then randomly come up and snag a flag (or two).

It will be interesting in the future if Essendon and Carlton can get their acts together and push for top 4, given that they have (sort of) 2 home grounds in the 'G and Docklands. Wonder if we'll hear a lot of this same sooking then...

Finals in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018 and 2019. Made the last three prelims and won 2 grand finals. Made the MCG a fortress. Just random.

Does this undermine the integrity of the competition? Yes.

Richmond finished last year on top of the table with 18 wins. Their fixture as the reigning premier then looked unfair enough, but at least their games at the MCG weren't bunched together like this year. And yet, somehow, as the "best team" of 2018, they were somehow given 7 games in a row at the MCG to finish the season, and nothing is being made of it. If they didn't have such a dickride in terms of fixturing, they would not be in the Grand Final.

I made a thread earlier in the year before the run of games started, and it was promptly closed for some reason. According to Richmond fans, 7 consecutive games at their home ground was fair, because:
* They played 5 games outside of their state in the first 16 games.
* They had to walk across the road to Etihad to play 2 games.
* Games against co-tenants are the exact same as an away game, except they're still at their home ground, in their home state.

In reality, if we readjust the metrics to classify away games as those played outside your home state (as is the case for half th league), their fixture looks like this:
* 5 away games within 23 rounds, with one one those against a club who won 3 games for the year.
* 17 games in their home state, with 14 at their home ground.

So, the majority of their games were played in their home state, at their home ground.

This is the case for other MCG tenants, however. It's how the AFL usually fixtures. Collingwood once had 8 consecutive games at the MCG roughly a decade ago, though they didn't finish on top of the ladder the season before.

Given how Richmond went last year, why wasn't their fixture more punctuated with travel and non MCG games? How come they got 7 consecutive games at their home ground to compensate for their "increased travel" in the first half of the season? How is any of this fair for the rest of the competition?

What's more, for their interstate games, they played against sides that finished 17th (Gold Coast), 12th (Adelaide), 10th (Port Adelaide, 14th (Fremantle) and 7th (GWS) in the previous season - only a single top 8 side. In their MCG run, they played teams that finished 2nd (West Coast), 5th (Melbourne), 7th (GWS), and 3rd (Collingwood). They didn't play a single top 4 side away, and the majority of the toughest matches came in the 7 game run.

How did the AFL allow this fixture to eventuate in the first place?
in reality, you're a sore loser and serial whinger and a hypocrite who would happily play 14 games at optus if there were more w.a. teams

See you keep calling it sooking.

Again, you miss the point. Again, just because it can be done doesn't mean it's fair.

You acknowledge it may not be fair but then say but that's what it is. You see the issue, shrug your shoulders and say "so what? get over it" purely because you'll never be subject to the unfairness of it.

And yes, a GF played in other venues would be a dream come true. Gee imagine Richmond having to play West Coast in a GF in Perth, a place Richmond has won a whopping 4 games in 30 years against the Eagles.....21% win rate vs 56% at the MCG....I'm sure you'd be so dismissive then.

Build bigger stadiums if you want to host GF's.

Really simple.

WCE shot their load whwn they lost a home game to Hawthorn in the last round, win that and I would have thought an Eagles/Tigers GF was in the cards.

Yep the sooking WC fans can carry on all they like. Fact is THEY blew their chance.

Would have been great if they won it all, then we wouldn't have to listen to all these moronic 7 in a row arguments they are using to cover up their own ineptitude.

Must be difficult having to play against co tenants, when half the competition have to travel interstate every second week. Must be hard walking across the road to Etihad.
If the Eagles want to travel less often why did they vote against including a third WA team?

The fact remains that, despite finishing on top of the ladder in 2018, you played one team outside your home state that finished in the top 8 the year before. It doesn't matter that Brisbane finished second this year; the AFL, before the season started, gave you a bulls**t fixture, with 7 consecutive games at your home ground against the toughest teams. Explain to me how it doesn't, at the very least, give you an advantage.

So if you're gonna pull that reign, then it shouldn't matter that Melbourne finished 2nd last this year. Richmond were therefore fixtured twice against both MCG tenant preliminary finalists from 2018, on their home turf on both occasions!

Explain to me how it doesn't, at the very least, give us a disadvantage.

Almost as many Richmond posts in a row than games they get in a row at the G before finals here. Not fair really!
Training ground is right next to it too, so we know what the conditions are like there too.

Only reason you won a flag is because you played an interstate team there.

That's right isn't it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I went back and had a look at the last seven MCG games and did a little bit of analysis. The thing is for 6/7 games it wouldn’t have mattered where we played because we won all our games comprehensively anyway.

17 vs GWS - had already played them in Sydney earlier in the year so we were due a home game. Won easily.
18 vs Port - had already played them and beat them in Adelaide earlier in the year. Again due a home game but wouldn’t have mattered because we won easily.
19 vs Collingwood - Away game for Richmond so I suppose we could have played them in Alice Springs? Wouldn’t have mattered as we would have beaten Collingwood anywhere that night.
20 vs Melbourne - Away game for Richmond. Maybe we should have played this one in Shanghai? Again, no matter where we played Melbourne we would have beaten them easily.
21 vs Carlton - Would have smashed them anywhere anyway.
22 vs West Coast - We were due a home game vs Eagles anyway, we played you in Perth last year and you’d played at home the week before.
23 vs Brisbane - based on the QF we actually would have won by more at the Gabba anyway.

So I went back and had a look at the last seven MCG games and did a little bit of analysis. The thing is for 6/7 games it wouldn’t have mattered where we played because we won all our games comprehensively anyway.

17 vs GWS - had already played them in Sydney earlier in the year so we were due a home game. Won easily.
18 vs Port - had already played them and beat them in Adelaide earlier in the year. Again due a home game but wouldn’t have mattered because we won easily.
19 vs Collingwood - Away game for Richmond so I suppose we could have played them in Alice Springs? Wouldn’t have mattered as we would have beaten Collingwood anywhere that night.
20 vs Melbourne - Away game for Richmond. Maybe we should have played this one in Shanghai? Again, no matter where we played Melbourne we would have beaten them easily.
21 vs Carlton - Would have smashed them anywhere anyway.
22 vs West Coast - We were due a home game vs Eagles anyway, we played you in Perth last year and you’d played at home the week before.
23 vs Brisbane - based on the QF we actually would have won by more at the Gabba anyway.
You might have won 7 games in a row on the road because you are a great team! It’s the fact you got seven in a row on the ground you play the finals (right before the finals) your home ground, no travelling, familiar setting, same routine for 7 plus weeks - it’s a great advantage to have! Not Richmond’s fault!

Being an interstate team is actually an advantage. Your home stadium should be a fortress meaning that if you are half decent you should at least bank home wins and end the year on 50% wins. All you need to do to make finals is pinch 1-3 away games. For MCG tenants, it’s much harder because while you might play more games at home overall, you also play fewer games against teams who are travelling. Comes down to how good the other co-tenants are... if Richmond has a clear edge over all its co-tenants, then indeed they benefit from playing more games on their home ground. But in the end it comes down to the quality and performance of the team.

If you are saying it’s unfair because Richmond are so good these days that they can win everything on the MCG, I can’t agree more. 😁

You might have won 7 games in a row on the road because you are a great team! It’s the fact you got seven in a row on the ground you play the finals (right before the finals) your home ground, no travelling, familiar setting, same routine for 7 plus weeks - it’s a great advantage to have! Not Richmond’s fault!

I hear what you are saying to an extent , but 6 of our first 15 games at the g & 13 all up in total in the home & away on a ground we co share with a few other clubs.

Does 13 all up out of 22 sound so unfair in total ?

Pretty sure the pies played more times there than us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I presume then that we're marking down Melbourne's greatest era after they went 46-4 in the 1950's. That statue of Norm Smith might need to come down.

Alos discredited is the Hawthorn threepeat after a 40-10 run beginning in 2012. And Collingwood's 39-9-2 starting in 2009 means the 2010 flag was practically a gimme.

Essendon's 41-9 streak starting in 1999 means that the 2000 team can no longer be considered the greatest of all time, given their unfair advantage.
True, but did you win 3 flag in row at the G, like the hawks?

I hear what you are saying to an extent , but 6 of our first 15 games at the g & 13 all up in total in the home & away on a ground we co share with a few other clubs.

Does 13 all up out of 22 sound so unfair in total ?

Pretty sure the pies played more times there than us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Careful there, thats too much truth for the peanut brains on here.

It’s a very impressive effort, more people should be acknowledging just how good the Tigers the last 3 years have been.

I am sure from 1983 to 2016 the tigers had generous runs at the G. All well and good when were no good hey. And in the last 3 years we have not come from 50+ at half time to beat the hawks, so how good really are we if this great team cannot replicate that dominant era. Pfft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back